Start by marking “The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible” as Want to Read:
The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible

The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible

Do we believe that God still does miracles? Do we expect him to move in miraculous ways in our day-in, day-out lives? Maybe we'd like to see miracles, but it's hard to see past our problems. All that is about to change, like water into wine.
"There are miracles all around us all the time," says Mark Batterson, "but you won't see them if you don't know how to look for them.
Published September 2nd 2014 by Baker Books

Lori
Sep 04, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a goodreads first reads winner of this inspirational book. Mark Batterson writes a wonderful book that talks of Seven signs of Jesus. this is taken from what he has learned from the Bible from the book of John. Each chapter covers those seven signs of miracles that Jesus has shown in the Bible. this is an uplifting book of the miracles that Jesus has done. How God listens to our prayers. how some are granted and others take you in a new direction in your life. I liked reading the ...more
Debi Lantzer
Jan 01, 2015 Debi Lantzer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-christian
I received a copy of this book from Family Christian in exchange for my honest review. When I first received this book, the first thing I noticed was not the title, but instead, the words under the title - "How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible". I knew that in my own personal life, Jesus had made the impossible possible, and that I am a walking, talking miracle of God. For those of you that don't know my story: in August of 2012, I was involved in a near-fatal car accident. When the ...more
Robin Lee Hatcher
This book contained several stories that were included in The Circle Maker and/or Draw the Circle, both of which I have read this year. Thus, sometimes, it felt repetitive. That is the only reason I am not giving it five stars, because I did love it and think it's well worth reading. It's a faith builder and continued encouragement to me as I spend 2015 studying prayer and prayer warriors. The book takes a close look at the seven miracles covered in John's gospel and gives the reader fresh insig ...more
Oct 03, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
One word: Fantastic.
May
Nov 13, 2016 May rated it liked it
We used this book and its accompanying study guide and video lessons in an adult Sunday School class. If I had realized how much more interesting and thought provoking the book is than the study guides, I would have suggested we all get the book and make up our own questions to guide our discussion.
Richard Kuhn
Feb 10, 2015 Richard Kuhn rated it really liked it
THE GRAVE ROBBER is a trek through the miracles Jesus performs as chronicled in John's Gospel. This book has many more pluses than minuses, however, a couple of the negative aspects could be a turn off switch for prospective readers.

First, the author attempts, and mostly succeeds, in demonstrating through modern science just how amazing these miracles are. Great idea, but to effectively attain that goal means a ton of scientific jargon that I shouldn't, wouldn't or couldn't repeat if my live dep
Josh Olds
Nov 09, 2014 Josh Olds rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-life
QUICK HIT – With an engaging style and familiar tone, Mark Batterson takes readers on a journey through the Seven Signs of Jesus’ Divinity, as seen in the book of John.

The book of John was written explicitly so that “you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name” (John 20:31). In his Gospel, John outlines seven different dimensions of Jesus’ ministry, seven different miraculous signs that cumulatively give a reasonable defense of J
Brittany
Dec 20, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it
I received this copy free as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

Mark Batterson’s The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible is an informative, engaging, and uplifting book about the miracles of Jesus.

Batterson’s primary focus is seven specific miracles as presented by the gospel of John. The first section of the book however challenges the reader to think of what a miracle is. Miracles are disregarded by many people as events that are either impossible or no longer occur. Thomas Je
Jessica
Oct 03, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
In The Grave Robber, Batterson takes the seven miracles Jesus performed that are recorded in the book of John and breaks them down, not just biblically or spiritually but also physically in such a way to show the true reality of each miracle. I love the way he takes history and science and astrology and more to point out the true miraculous works of God and how big God really isn't but more than that Batterson brings it all home reminding us how nothing is too big OR too small for God, that 100% ...more
Randy Word
Jul 08, 2015 Randy Word rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miracles Still Happen!

As a young Christian I was taught that miracles
died with the apostles, yet we still prayed for the sick. In spit of this mixed message I new, in my heart, that God still worked miracles. My getting saved is a prime example. If God can save me he can save anyone.
Pastor Batterson reminds us of the power of Jesus. He showed us that Jesus does use us as a conduit to sometimes show off.
In February of 2000 I was told that I had less than thirty days to live and I was past the poi
Glenn
Jun 25, 2015 Glenn rated it liked it
Mark Batterson's *The Grave Robber* is an inspirational take on the seven signs of Messiahship found in the first twelve chapters of the Gospel of John. The book is top-heavy with illustrations and stories while being light on the actual exposition of John. Batterson's writing tends to be too clever by half at the beginning, but the book gets clearer and meatier after the second half. *The Grace Robber* is part of a DVD Bible study series produced by Baker Book House. The video chapters ...more
Leah
May 07, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, adult
I received a copy free as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

Although I have several books by Mark Batterson, The Grave Robber: How Jesus Can Make Your Impossible Possible, is the first one that I have read (time is not easily acquired). I found this book to be informative about the miracles of Jesus and engaging through the relevant stories that help to relate the miracle to events more current.

I knew I would enjoy this book as soon as I started it. The author uses understandable (although maybe not
Helen
Nov 16, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing
Mark Batterson is my favorite inspirational writer, passing Lloyd John Ogilvie and Max Lucado, both of whom I still enjoy reading. For those struggling with unannswered prayers, Batterson simply states that he doesn't know why sometimes God prevents things or changes things and sometimes He doesn't. I would have liked a different response, no one can know the mind of God. I found the analysis of the miracles thought provoking but delivered in a manner to cause the reader to continue to ponder ...more
George Love
Sep 07, 2015 George Love rated it liked it
In the Grave Robber Batterson works through the miracle stories in John's gospel. I enjoy reading Batterson. Not every story hits, but many do. He has a very creative way of reading and interpreting scripture - of looking at stories from various angles. When I read him I tend to find I see things in scripture I missed in the past. The reading is easy and there is plenty of good here. Have also used the DVD study that goes along with this book and enjoyed it.
Lisa Bruntmyer
Apr 06, 2016 Lisa Bruntmyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing read!

I couldn't put it down. Whether you're a mature Christian, a baby Christian, or someone who is looking for the "something more to this life", this is written with you in mind. Mark's love for God and his unfailing belief in the miracle-working power of the blood of his Lord, Jesus Christ, is unmistakable and contagious. It has certain!y helped increase my faith..exponentially!
Regina
Dec 18, 2015 Regina rated it really liked it
This book has inspired me to keep praying for miracles in my everyday life. The same Jesus who raised Lazarus is the same God I serve today. There is NOTHING to hard for Him. If you are feeling discouraged in your daily walk with God, then this is the book for you! Remind yourself what an amazing God we serve!
Leandra
Aug 20, 2015 Leandra rated it really liked it
I love this book. I learned so much about miracles and so much history. plus the power or prayer and waiting on God. I don't really know how to describe this book bc it had elements of so many cool historical stories and the power or belief in Jesus and everyday miracles.

read it! you may learn to notice the details.
Marie
May 26, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marie by: Search by author
Going back for a second read as soon as my copy comes in the mail.

Its a book of remembering God for who he is. It will challenge you if you're (just a) naturalist, an anti-theist, agnostic, faithless, or hurt by humans. It will win you if you have grown tired of fighting that God is the ultimate authority of all creation.
Debbie
Sep 14, 2015 Debbie added it
I hated for this book to end! It was such a joy to read of the miracles recorded in the book of John. The historical facts and inspiring back stories just added to the adventure. We have a GREAT GOD and what a SAVIOR. As Mark laced throughout the book,"Sometimes God shows up, sometimes God shows off." Get your copy today and take the journey of these miracles with "The Grave Robber!"
Dennis Podryadchikov
Sep 01, 2016 Dennis Podryadchikov rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while, one looks for a book to strengthen one's faith. "The Grave Robber" by Batterson may not be a useless read. His journey through the seven miracles of John, filled with stories and reflections, is an easy read that can help one to look from a different perspective at the Miracle-maker. Every believer will enjoy reading this devotion book.
Cliff
Jan 28, 2015 Cliff rated it liked it
Pastor Mark's take on miracles is, like most of his books, earnest, full of joy and hope. He's not one to delve too deeply into theology, this won't ever replace C.S. Lewis's "Miracles" or anything of that nature. But it does what it does. I always find something worthwhile in his books and his earnestness always shines through.
Dr.
Feb 01, 2015 Dr. rated it it was amazing
Mark once again convicts challenges, counsels, and encourages our faith - not in prayer, but in the object of our prayers - the Grave Robber, Jesus Christ himself. A must- read for those facing the impossible.
Amber
Feb 19, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Mark Batterson does it again in his thought provoking yet simple way of pointing out basic and familiar stories that have the power to change your perspective. Going through a few of the miracles of Jesus, the reader's attention is drawn to their real life application to today's faith.
David
Jun 01, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and was challenged by it. I appreciate reading the science aspects of what "broke" during a miracle. I read this while my adult Sunday School Class was watching the video presentation of the book. As usual, the book is better!
Warren Benton
Mar 22, 2015 Warren Benton rated it liked it
3.25

In this book Batterson discusses Jesus' miracles. Batterson talks about how most of Jesus' miracles required some work on the receivers part. Whether it was just going down to wash, or faith in believing Jesus could give them what they needed.
Marcia Richards
Jul 23, 2016 Marcia Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Mark Batterson!!

I will never again read any miracle in Bible with the hindsight bias that I have had. Jesus is Lord!! I know that will read this book again and would recommend it to anyone and everyone who loves Jesus..
Caye
Feb 15, 2016 Caye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, teen, religious
Very uplifting. Presents seven miracles of Jesus in a unique light -- filled with fascinating facts, but more importantly ... practical lessons on applying change and hope, through Christ, to our daily lives.
Excellent book on holding on to miracles through our problems.
Bruce Baker
Jan 01, 2015 Bruce Baker rated it really liked it
I liked Wild Goose Chase and this is every bit as good. His style is refreshing and challenging. Opens our eyes to seven miracles in way we can apply them to our lives. Really good.
V Hatz
Sep 29, 2015 V Hatz rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and have even pre ordered Marks next book "IF". So inspired. So hopeful. It has a good dose of hope and a spoonful of wisdom and truth.
Rachel
Dec 18, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A great look at 7 of Jesus' miracles. Brings a fresh look to each. Book is full of great nuggets of wisdom and truth that will stick with you.
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Needed 2 17 Jul 01, 2015 05:22PM
  • Limitless Life: You Are More Than Your Past When God Holds Your Future
  • God of the Underdogs: When the Odds Are Against You, God Is For You
  • How to Be Rich: It's Not What You Have. It's What You Do With What You Have.
  • Great Day Every Day
  • Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World
  • Living Crazy Love: An Interactive Workbook for Individual or Small-Group Study
  • The Question That Never Goes Away
  • Real Life, Real Miracles: True Stories That Will Help You Believe
  • The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament
  • Greater: Dream Bigger. Start Smaller. Ignite God's Vision for Your Life.
  • Playing God: Redeeming the Gift of Power
  • Overwhelmed: Winning the War Against Worry
  • Live Love Lead: Your Best Is Yet to Come!
  • What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days: 52 Encouraging Truths to Hold on to
  • Mirror Ball: Living Boldly and Shining Brightly for the Glory of God
  • Miracles: What They Are, Why They Happen, and How They Can Change Your Life
  • One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus
  • What Is Repentance? (Crucial Questions)
Mark Batterson serves as lead pastor of National Community Church (www.theaterchurch.com) in Washington, DC. One church with seven locations. NCC is focused on reaching emerging generations and meets in theaters throughout the DC metro area. NCC also owns and operates the largest coffeehouse on Capitol Hill. Mark holds a Doctor of Ministry degree from Regent University and is the New York Times be ...more
More about Mark Batterson...

“You go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you. Wherever you are, God has put you there; He has a purpose in your being there. Christ who indwells you has something He wants to do through you where you are. Believe this and go in His grace and love and power.” 3 likes
“Never underestimate the power of one well-timed compliment. It has the power to change a person’s entire perspective on life. It has the potential to change a person’s plotline for eternity. The right word at the right time can be the catalyst for someone else’s miracle.” 3 likes