Start by marking “New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy” as Want to Read:
New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy

New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy

Whether it's a tale of a wizard developing his powers or a breakneck chase through New York City in search of the Grail, the best fantasy is all about coming face to face with reality---with boundaries---and saying, What if? It's about stepping across the threshold of what is and what must be into a world of maybes and why-nots. Most of all, it's a great deal of fun.

It's f
Published January 10th 2005 by Tor Teen (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about New Magics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Magics

Wealhtheow
Jul 02, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An anthology of modern fantasy, and an absolutely excellent collection. I loved the Ursula K. Le Guin, Orson Scott Card, and Emma Bull stories, but the dark horse contenders were Andy Duncan's "Liza and the Crazy Water Man," (a love story set during the Depression, with a mild little touch of magic) and Sherwood Smith's "Mom and Dad at the Home Front." The Smith story was a surprising take on the old trope of children who find a way to escape to a magical world and have adventures; the story is ...more
Res
Apr 11, 2007 Res rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Aimed at teens, and again with the whiny-people-with-trivial-problems problem occasionally (Ellen Kushner's "Charis," especially). But tons of wonderful stories.

Best stories:

Neil Gaiman's "Chivalry" (about an old woman who finds the Holy Grail at a secondhand store)

Susan Palwick's "Jo's Hair" (about what happens to Jo March's hair when she sells it)

Harry Turtledove's "Not All Wolves" (about a boy werewolf escaping into the Jews' quarter)

Andy Duncan, "Liza and the Crazy Water Man" (not so much f
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it
The volume begins with Neil Gaiman's charming Chivalry, the story of Sir Galaad attempting to win the Holy Grail from an old lady who bought it from a thrift shop. It's wacky, hilarious, and a great play on mythology invading the modern world. This story is also in Smoke and Mirrors, which I already own.

Charis, by Ellen Kushner, is about a human girl who lives in Bordertown, a place between the World and the Faerie realms, and her attempt to rescue an elven lord. The mixed city is the most inter
M
Jul 25, 2014 M rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good collection over all. I've read a few of the stories before, specifically Chivalry and A Bird That Whistles. Both are quite good, though I wonder whether a different Neil Gaiman story might have been a better choice. There was a Bordertown story in here, and has generally been the case with stories from that shared world, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It serves as further proof that I need to track down all the Bordertown stuff sooner or later. Jo's Hair was an interesting story ...more
M
Sep 17, 2013 M rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Some great stories, some that I didn't finish. The best and most memorable for me were "Jo's Hair" by Susan Palwick, which highlighted all the problems I had with Louisa May Alcott's Little Women through telling a story about what might have happened to Jo as she got older and her hair she had sold; "Chivalry" by Neil Gaiman, for the fun and cute story in which an old woman buys the Holy Grail and an Arthurian knight tries to get it from her; and "Mama Gone" by Jane Yolen, a story about a girl w ...more
Lucy
Oct 16, 2008 Lucy rated it really liked it
This is a stellar anthology with some old favorites (Sherwood Smith's Mom and Dad at the Homefront, Charles de Lint's The Bone Woman) and some new friends (Ellen Kushner's devestating Charis, Ursula LeGuin's The Bones of the Earth.)

It's a great introduction to the wider genre for strong fantasy readers. There's a little bit in here for everyone--old school fantasy, urban fantasy, historical fantasy--different flavors and different tastes for every fantastic palate.
Karissa
Sep 05, 2012 Karissa rated it liked it
This book is filled with stories from today's authors. I'm pretty sure the first story was one of my favorites. They are not extreme fantasy and many of them take place in modern times, or in times of history. Another good story took place during the 1930s or 1940s in Germany.
Totally keeping this book around to flip through in the future .
Viki
Mar 31, 2009 Viki rated it really liked it
Some stories are better than others, my absolute favorite was "Hatrack River". Least enjoyed: "Mom and Dad on the Home Front." I'd been an fan of SciFi/Fantasy short stories back in highschool, this was the first book of this genre I'd picked up in at least 15 years. :-) Still entertaining, and I didn't feel nearly as silly as I'd feared I would.
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
A nice collection of several fantasy stories. I did like this one. But I admit, I did skip through the stories that didn't appeal to me. Guilty, I know. On the other hand though, I did find stories that I really liked and wished for the rest.
Johnny Mayall
Overall good anthology. Some stories were a bit weak, but most were solid, although only the Le Guin tale really stood out and grabbed me.
Tye
Aug 29, 2013 Tye rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
A fairly good collection of fantasy stories.

Worth reading.
Elizabeth
Really enjoyable!
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 22, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was ok
I wish I had liked this book of short stories more. I really wanted every story to pack a punch. Hard to do though, as everyone has different taste.
Trickey
Trickey rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Kensaku
Kensaku rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2010
Stephanie A. Cain
Stephanie A. Cain rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2008
Leila
Leila rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2010
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2014
Jacob
Jacob rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2016
Lisa Williamson
Lisa Williamson rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Stefanie Gasko
Stefanie Gasko rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2008
John Michael
John Michael rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Daryl
Daryl rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2010
April
April rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2011
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2009
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2009
Patrick James Nielsen Hayden, often abbreviated as PNH, is an American science fiction editor, fan, fanzine publisher, essayist, reviewer, anthologist, teacher and blogger. He is a World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award winner (with nine nominations for the latter award), and is a Senior Editor and the Manager of Science Fiction at Tor Books. He changed his last name to "Nielsen Hayden" on his marriag ...more
More about Patrick Nielsen Hayden...