Start by marking “New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy” as Want to Read:
New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy

New Magics: An Anthology of Today's Fantasy

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Whether it's a tale of a wizard developing his powers or a breakneck chase through New York City in search of the Grail, the best fantasy is all about coming face to face with reality---with boundaries---and saying, What if? It's about stepping across the threshold of what is and what must be into a world of maybes and why-nots. Most of all, it's a great deal of fun.

It's f
Published January 10th 2005 by Tor Teen (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about New Magics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Magics

An anthology of modern fantasy, and an absolutely excellent collection. I loved the Ursula K. Le Guin, Orson Scott Card, and Emma Bull stories, but the dark horse contenders were Andy Duncan's "Liza and the Crazy Water Man," (a love story set during the Depression, with a mild little touch of magic) and Sherwood Smith's "Mom and Dad at the Home Front." The Smith story was a surprising take on the old trope of children who find a way to escape to a magical world and have adventures; the story is ...more
The volume begins with Neil Gaiman's charming Chivalry, the story of Sir Galaad attempting to win the Holy Grail from an old lady who bought it from a thrift shop. It's wacky, hilarious, and a great play on mythology invading the modern world. This story is also in Smoke and Mirrors, which I already own.

Charis, by Ellen Kushner, is about a human girl who lives in Bordertown, a place between the World and the Faerie realms, and her attempt to rescue an elven lord. The mixed city is the most inter
This was a pretty good collection over all. I've read a few of the stories before, specifically Chivalry and A Bird That Whistles. Both are quite good, though I wonder whether a different Neil Gaiman story might have been a better choice. There was a Bordertown story in here, and has generally been the case with stories from that shared world, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It serves as further proof that I need to track down all the Bordertown stuff sooner or later. Jo's Hair was an interesting story ...more
Aimed at teens, and again with the whiny-people-with-trivial-problems problem occasionally (Ellen Kushner's "Charis," especially). But tons of wonderful stories.

Best stories:

Neil Gaiman's "Chivalry" (about an old woman who finds the Holy Grail at a secondhand store)

Susan Palwick's "Jo's Hair" (about what happens to Jo March's hair when she sells it)

Harry Turtledove's "Not All Wolves" (about a boy werewolf escaping into the Jews' quarter)

Andy Duncan, "Liza and the Crazy Water Man" (not so much f
Jan 07, 2014 M rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Some great stories, some that I didn't finish. The best and most memorable for me were "Jo's Hair" by Susan Palwick, which highlighted all the problems I had with Louisa May Alcott's Little Women through telling a story about what might have happened to Jo as she got older and her hair she had sold; "Chivalry" by Neil Gaiman, for the fun and cute story in which an old woman buys the Holy Grail and an Arthurian knight tries to get it from her; and "Mama Gone" by Jane Yolen, a story about a girl w ...more
This is a stellar anthology with some old favorites (Sherwood Smith's Mom and Dad at the Homefront, Charles de Lint's The Bone Woman) and some new friends (Ellen Kushner's devestating Charis, Ursula LeGuin's The Bones of the Earth.)

It's a great introduction to the wider genre for strong fantasy readers. There's a little bit in here for everyone--old school fantasy, urban fantasy, historical fantasy--different flavors and different tastes for every fantastic palate.
This book is filled with stories from today's authors. I'm pretty sure the first story was one of my favorites. They are not extreme fantasy and many of them take place in modern times, or in times of history. Another good story took place during the 1930s or 1940s in Germany.
Totally keeping this book around to flip through in the future .
Some stories are better than others, my absolute favorite was "Hatrack River". Least enjoyed: "Mom and Dad on the Home Front." I'd been an fan of SciFi/Fantasy short stories back in highschool, this was the first book of this genre I'd picked up in at least 15 years. :-) Still entertaining, and I didn't feel nearly as silly as I'd feared I would.
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
A nice collection of several fantasy stories. I did like this one. But I admit, I did skip through the stories that didn't appeal to me. Guilty, I know. On the other hand though, I did find stories that I really liked and wished for the rest.
Shawn Thrasher
I wish I had liked this book of short stories more. I really wanted every story to pack a punch. Hard to do though, as everyone has different taste.
Nov 15, 2013 Tye rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
A fairly good collection of fantasy stories.

Worth reading.
Really enjoyable!
Miriam marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Bella Funnypie
Bella Funnypie marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Ash added it
Oct 24, 2015
StarMan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Ashley Arvidson
Ashley Arvidson marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Kitty marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Little marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Marian added it
Aug 14, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Leah Weir
Leah Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Efreak marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Patrick James Nielsen Hayden, often abbreviated as PNH, is an American science fiction editor, fan, fanzine publisher, essayist, reviewer, anthologist, teacher and blogger. He is a World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award winner (with nine nominations for the latter award), and is a Senior Editor and the Manager of Science Fiction at Tor Books. He changed his last name to "Nielsen Hayden" on his marriag ...more
More about Patrick Nielsen Hayden...