Start by marking “A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair” as Want to Read:
A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair

A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,135 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews

"I now pronounce you man and wife." There are few phrases as sobering, with the possible exception of "We have lift-off" and "This country is at war." Kids. Dogs. Neighbors. In-laws. These were all warm-ups to the Main Event: Erma Bombeck on marriage.

Irresistible Force met Immovable Object on the sunny day in 1949 when Erma and Bill Bombeck plighted their troth.  Now, fro

Published September 1st 1993 by HarperCollins (first published 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair

Rebecca
Jul 22, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was a cute book, taking readers through most of the adult life of Erma Bombeck. One of my favorite parts was when she and her husband were driving home from a celebration (they had been married several years already, children mostly gone already) and she asks her husband if they've ever had a meaningful conversation in their entire marriage. He says he's not sure and asks what one would sound like. haha! She makes it sound so normal!
3 1/2 stars
Donna
Feb 13, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Erma Bombeck. I read her newspaper column as a teen. This book was probably 4 stars for me, but just for the fact that her humor is never mean spirited (which I applaud) I'll up it to 5. This was a a fun and entertaining read. She seemed to nail the suburban housewife trials and tribulations.

This book was focused on marriage and it was quite funny at times. She has such a positive way with words. Definitely worth the time to read.
MONIKA
Jun 04, 2016 MONIKA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love her books and loved this one too. Each chapter unfolds new mysteries a wedding lock has to offer. I was glad she included all aspects of her life including pregnancies, miscarriages, career, house maker, house owning, etc. There was never a dull moment. Helps you make light of your day to day situations and enjoy life. I wish I was able to read her newspaper columns too!
Adrienne Kiser
Nov 08, 2014 Adrienne Kiser rated it it was amazing
In her trademark way, Erma Bombeck deftly combines both humor and poignancy into an autobiographical story of her married life.
Joanne
Aug 25, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
LOVE IT! It was a bridal shower gift from my mother -- I still refer to it (better than smacking him!)
Abigail (42stitches)
What Betty Friedan would be if she had a sense of humor.
Cheree
Aug 31, 2011 Cheree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a teenager I read several Erma Bombeck books that my mom had checked out of the library. They were hysterical. Even as a teenager, the honesty and humor of everyday life was not lost on me.

My most recent book to read was A Marriage Made in Heaven: Or Too Tired for an Affair and was full of gems on getting married, wading through the waters of being a wife and a mother, joining the workforce, becoming super mom, and growing old with your mate.

Excerpts from the book:

What Bill and I lo
Bukcrz
May 01, 2014 Bukcrz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper-reread, humor
I usually shy away from autobiographies because after reading Fortune's Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt a few years back I was left lacking.
Then I read this book's blurb promising humor and it delivered and more. This is a book with a self-deprecating humor that in no way demean characters in the book or the reader. The author's candid presentation of her life and marriage took off the blinders in my eyes as I take a real look at my husband, my parents, my son, my marriage, and ev
Shannan
I did not know about Erma Bombeck until now. The highlight of her career was when she was a housewife in the 60's and 70's and wrote a weekly column telling of the humor she found in parenting and keeping a house. Her work in the 80's and 90's was of a more reflective nature and this was one of her last books she wrote as it was published in '92. This book is a chronology of her marriage and her career and how the two intersected. I gobbled up the first half of the book as it is the part of her ...more
Adam Dunn
Jul 22, 2014 Adam Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like many of the reviewers on here read Erma Bombeck as a teenager. I think I may be the only boy to do so. I don't know how many other 12 and 13 year old boys were reading Bombeck in the late eighties.
This being said I remember her very fondly and when a friend picked up this book recently, and it coincided with my recent wedding, I picked up this book and couldn't put it down.
Although it was nice to reconnect with the author, I don't think this was one of her funnier books. Near the beginnin
Patty Mora
Dec 01, 2010 Patty Mora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I loved this book! I think that I laughed out loud every other chapter.

Erma Bombeck was a true gem. Her wit and keen observations about marriage are right on, even if this book was published almost twenty years ago. It is timeless.

As I was reading this book, I often wondered if she was peeking in my kitchen window, because the things she said about husbands and wives were so true about my own marriage.

Like I said, this book is timeless and I would recommend it to any one who is married or conte
Elise
Mar 25, 2011 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing, but it was fun nonetheless.

I was a bit annoyed at the beginning when she was complaining so much about her husband's TV-watching habits. I'm thinking, really? You couldn't figure out this conflict so you just made it into a joke? This seems like one of the easiest issues in a marriage to resolve, but whatever. She's writing just to make us laugh, so that's probably not the way she handled it in real life.

I first thought her humor was kind of over-the-top
Sarah Stevens
Apr 07, 2011 Sarah Stevens rated it liked it
This book is an effortless read, but somewhat choppy. It reads like a series of humorous blog posts loosely strung together by a (very) general theme. There is a sprinkling of introspection and comments on the historical context of social change, but if you are waiting for her to draw any sort of philosophical conclusions from those, you will be disappointed. I pulled one or two tidbits of relationship observances that I thought were interesting, but other than that the situations are all very t ...more
Ami
Jan 20, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Erma's books! While other kids were sneakily reading the latest issue of Batman or Archie & Veronica comic books between the pages of their schoolbooks during class I was trying not to get caught laughing too loudly at the pages of the latest book by humorist author Erma Bombeck. Its safe to say that I grew up with her books and her name, and stories, just like V.C. Andrews', another author I grew up reading, brings back a lot of good reading memories. Erma, and her writing, will be d ...more
Vicki
Feb 13, 2012 Vicki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I love reading Erma's humorous and witty writings, but found this to be my least favorite of her books. Perhaps because I often found myself feeling sorry for her. It was a little too serious at times and I certainly could relate on many aspects. She again, however, always comes through with a way of putting a smile on your face throughout any of lifes situations. Erma was blessed with a remarkable husband who stood beside her through thick or thin. Someone, I think, every woman longs for in her ...more
Jennifer Trendowicz
I listened to this on a long road trip between NY and NC. It made the trip fly by and had I gotten home before I finished listening I would have stayed in the car to finish - even after a 9 hour drive. This was a great book about marriage through the ages and stages of life. It makes you feel normal that your spouse isn't perfect and that you are not crazy for wondering why he isn't. It puts an interesting perspective on marriage for me now - as a some-what newlywed - and the future of my marria ...more
Victoria
Feb 23, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something funny and clean and ran into this. Chuck Swindoll in his sermons has used some of Erma Bombecks stuff so I got it on Audible. This would rank more of a 3.5 than a 4 I think. I couldn't love it as much as I wanted to. I am a whole different generation, have no children and don't have a TV addict husband so I just couldn't relate to a lot of stuff. Yet, I did laugh out loud more than once, I got teary once and came home one day and NEEDED to give my husband a hug and le ...more
Deirdre
Erma Bombeck has a unique way of looking at life and of writing about it. She shines through the pages as being a person who can take the sickness with the health and tries her damndest to see the funny in something that could fill you with despair. While many of the stories are laugh-out-loud funny they also induced a wry smile occasionally and when she spoke about her miscarriages I nearly cried. What she doesn't mention sometimes is almost as important as what she does mention.

I would recomme
Ritu
Jul 31, 2011 Ritu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book to read. This is Erma's memoir frm the early years of her marriage to later golden years. She reveals her bout with breast cancer and her reaction. Her humour, her unique way of looking at life, taking what life dealt with her, looking at situations right between the eyes. She had a supportive husband who let Erma blossom and try out new things, career, activities in her life..of course you cannot let someone do things if the person does not take the intiative to do it...so it is an i ...more
Eva
May 12, 2011 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book well enough, it's a quick, amusing read. The author is funny and sarcastic yet in mostly a good way. I wouldn't say this is a deep book, but I enjoyed the condensing of their lives if only because I haven't lived as long. I wonder what I'll remember and treasure about my marriage when I'm old? I daresay it will be different than hers, but I think the most important point she made is that their marriage lasted because both were comfortable and trusting of the others' choices and ...more
Lori
Dec 13, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought this book would be too cynical and almost put it down not that far into it, but I'm glad I stayed with it. Bombeck's amusing observations about numerous aspects of marriage ranging from balancing the checkbooks and remodeling a house to the more serious like dealing with infertility and cancer are, as always, delightfully thought provoking. She brings humor, grace and truth to all her work.
 Doris Powell
Sep 06, 2015 Doris Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this funny book. Ms. Bombeck is hilarious in describing her 43 year marriage to Bill. She starts in 1949 when she marries. Her marriage goes through the 50's. 60's, 70's, and 80's. It finishes when one of her sons finally gets married, not a minute too soon for her. The book is funny, but it has its poignant moments like when she loses a child during her last pregnancy and her bout with breast cancer. I miss this author.
Martha
Weirdly, I think I already read some parts/chapters of this book in previous Erma Bombeck books I've read. I cannot confirm, of course, because I don't have time to look for my older books. Although I have never been married, I still enjoyed this book. Nevermind that this was written when I was only getting the hang of reading (lol) and a lot of these things happened before I was even born, I still had to laugh and chuckle a lot. Love her dry sense of humor.
Barb
Jun 18, 2013 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book chronicles the ups and downs of married the married life of a couple that was devoted to each other and determined to make the marriage work for them--Erma and her husband, Bill. I think just about anyone who has been married for years can relate to at least some of the experiences she records. In my case, I can relate to many of them. I enjoy Erma's humor. I miss her, and I am sure her husband misses her still.
Monica
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I was in a different stage in life. It is built off of hyperbole. Interestingly, some of my friends who read it had differing opinions on how the humor affected the reader's view of her husband and experiences. I actually felt that a lot of what she did was more focused on herself and her own issues rather than those of her husband, and that she really painted him in a very good light.
Jill
Mar 17, 2011 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised I haven't read this lady before...or maybe I've always heard about it, but never really connected what she did. I enjoyed the book, but I listened to it, so the lady was very theatrical, which I think helped in this case. She had a great mix of funny and serious. I especially liked the way she worded how she felt when she miscarried. Such a great way to express how she felt and probably every woman feels at that moment. I enjoyed it.
Christa L
Oct 11, 2010 Christa L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me through around 40 years of experiences from Erma's marriage. Far more serious than I expected. She discusses everything from Betty Friedan and advertising's effects on women's roles to the moral divide between children and parents of the 70's and late life parent/child role reversal. My sister has great taste in books and I plan to borrow/steal more Bombeck from her in the future.
Julian Quebedeaux
Jan 07, 2015 Julian Quebedeaux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very moving piece overall. In certain parts I found myself a little lost, as she tended to ramble some, but she did a good job of pulling you back in. Written very flowing, a good quick read with some wise points. I loved the perspective she brought to light about her marriage and I was able to compare that with what I want someday. Good stuff.
Diane
Apr 06, 2011 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more than I thought I would. I ended up getting it on CD because these kind of books are great to listen to while driving or cleaning the house. It's fun and amuzing, but the last CD was too scratched to listen to, and I was okay with stopping there. It's just not that kind of book that you HAVE to hear the end.
Linda
May 21, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erma Bombeck at her funny self. There are times in the book when she does get serious - after all she is talking about her marriage. She is quite honest in the book as she describes the different stages her husband and she experience. She doesn't take herself too seriously as we well know but she does describe the ups and downs to the extent that you do laugh and muse - about your own life.
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes
  • The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.
  • How to Raise Your I.Q. by Eating Gifted Children
  • Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • His Holiness: John Paul II and the History of Our Time
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada
More about Erma Bombeck...

“...I remember thinking how often we look, but never see...we listen, but never hear...we exist, but never feel. We take our relationships for granted. A house is only a place. It has no life of its own. It needs human voices, activity and laughter to come alive.” 50 likes
“In all honesty, men changed a few rules when they became what was referred to as househusbands. Bill didn't make beds, cook, dust, do laundry, windows or floors, or give birth. What he did do was pay bills, call people to fix the plumbing, handle the investments and taxes, volunteer big time, take papers to the garage, change license plates, get the cars serviced, and pick up the cleaning. If women had had that kind of schedule, who knows, we'd probably still be in the home.” 8 likes