Start by marking “Cold Tom” as Want to Read:
Cold Tom

Cold Tom

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Proclaimed as "both original and gripping" by PW in a starred review, Sally Prue's remarkable fantasy debut launches in a bold paperback edition. "This one's a keeper!" Horn Book proclaims.

Tom is both elfin and human, and running for his life. Cast out from the elfin Tribe, he must hide among the hated humans, whom the Tribe call "demons." Tom's Tribe-half seeks freedom an
Published June 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Tom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Tom

Farhan Rahman
I must say that this book was very clever in that I had no idea about the demons at all! Until it was revealed of course! I don't really want to give anything away but it was interesting to see Tom's perception of humans which are maybe the thoughts of Sally Prue and the message she was trying to show. It makes you think how we come across to others and how we treat the world, others and wildlife.

Apart from that, I did find most of the plot quite predictable although I think it would keep a youn
Jacey
What a delight this short book is. I'm a sucker for Tam Lin stories, but this is a completely original take on the tale from the point of view of Tom, a child of the Tribe that lives on the common, elves or fairy folk. Strange cold creatures that eat their meat raw and have no ties of kinship and no concept of love or nurturing their young. Tom isn't like the other members of the tribe, he's clumsy and heavy and he's losing his hearing and he doesn't see as well as he used to. Driven out by fear ...more
Julie Decker
Tom realizes he's different from the others of his tribe. He doesn't see or hear as well as they do, and he's clumsier, so before long he finds his own people turning on him, driving him out. But the only place he can go when he flees is a shed in the world of the demons, and he fears their demonic power over people like him. They cannot call on the stars and become invisible, and they entrap others with terrible vines that bind them together. Over time Tom will realize his ancestry is half elfi ...more
The Black Hat Writer
I was very disappointed--and I went into it with the realization that this is meant for young teens or kids. But, the jacket sleeve offered so much promise and interest and just didn't deliver. I read books as a child, so I know what to expect with children's books, and this book did not live up.

There is definitely a strong idea laying inside this story, but Sally Prue just didn't open it up. Tom basically goes back and forth between the Tribe and the world of the Demons hating Demons and "call
Sally
Okay, not really sure why I decided to borrow this from the library, given how much I disliked the "Tribe" in Ice Maiden. I managed to read about 20 pages before just deciding, no, this is not going to happen. Skipped forward a bit but still couldn't get into it. I just found it uncomfortable and not something I wanted to read. *shrug*
Collin
3.5. The story really could have done with a longer book and a more involved style, but as a story aimed at younger kids it's really, really good. I love the different take on fair folk/elves - basically everything to do with the fair folk/elves was fantastic, from the coldness to their thirst for blood to their repulsion to possessions and emotional entanglements and basically everything human - and Tom is a really cool character (no pun intended). Still, the side characters weren't very well f ...more
Amy
I read a few pages and just couldn't continue...this is really unlike me, I always at least try to finish books, but I just found it terribly boring.

Check out my Book Review Blog: href="http://www.babblingbookcase.blogspot.... Babbling Bookcase
Anna Elizabeth
First off, Goodreads, why don't you have the version online that I have? Mine is gorgeous, not some random naked boy running through the woods.

Elfs have never been my favorite of the various supernatural creatures (Dragons, Griffins, and Demons/Angels being my favorites) but I was certainly willing to give to let this book try and woo me. However it tripped on the way in, spilling my drink on me, peed itself, stuttered a few awkward apologies and ripped its pants running away. I think I may hav
Jason (RawBlurb)
I picked this book up about a month ago in a bargain bin at Barnes and Nobles. They were charging a dollar for it. I read the inside cover and decided, what the hell, its only a buck.. The cover art for the hardbound book was worth a dollar by itself. it was glossy and reflective. if i were a raven, i would rip it apart and love on it for its shininess.

[...:]

Tom cannot hunt, he is too clumsy. he cannot creep quietly through the forest as the others. He very nearly outs the whole village to the “
Caroline Alicia
Gail Thompson
This book had a few good but it was a little strange. Some parts of the book were engaging and original and some parts felt a little like padding. My interest waned during the part in Edie's house and I had guessed that humans were demons by page two. All in all this is ok for reading n a rainy afternoon but I have read better books. Perhaps a younger reader would view it differently.
Gabrielle DeSantis
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's definitely different from anything I've read before and there were some twists that really surprised me. This book had a lot more to say than just the words on the page and I found the concepts thought provoking and new.
Sophia
Honestly, this was the WORST book ever! I mean, I am not dissing the author or anything. I think that Sally Prue could write a better book. This book was not easy moving and is hard to follow allow. They don't even tell you what Tom is. They described him being cold, pale, small, and has fangs. So I thought he was vampire this whole book! Until I looked up a book summary for a school project!
Ronald
This story begins talking about a boy who is struggling from humans and people from his tribe, which i believe was a bunch of kids. He is almost all of the time in fear and threat of being found or even worst being killed. When that happens he turns invisible but what else happens is that his human characterizes are flowing more to the surface of his hearts. He fears to accept those human emotions and intensions, afraid to bond with other humans.

I gave this book 4 stars because i though this was
Scott Williams
ff2db5ff-865c-4bed-b95c-122c398ea6be
Xue Yun
I actually did not like this book. This book has a slow but okay plot.

This story begins talking about a boy struggling from humans and people from his tribe. He is constantly in fear and threat of getting killed. When that happens he turns invisible but what else happens is that his human characterizes are flowing more to the surface of his hearts. He fears to accept those human emotions and intensions, afraid to bond with other humans. However the questions is, is he a elfin or a human?
Sophie
Cold Tom was a short novel I picked up at the library. Sally Prue writes concisely, but not lightly. The book made me think about humans, and our treatment of each other. Prue takes aq more positive spin on humans than is often seen in literature, but in a different way. This book was really enjoyable and thought provoking. I recommend it to anybody who needs to read a book quickly for a school project as theres plenty of fodder for discussion in its 130 pages.
Kirsty
One of the darkest, most beautiful books I've ever read. This story goes places that few adult books dare, mixing in mythical and fantastical tropes with ease –and all of it in sparse, vivid prose. Love it. ...more
Brock 3rd
This is a really good book and I really recamend it. Tom is a boy who is hated by his tribe. He over hears that they are going to kill him so he runs away from his tribe. He goes to this place that the hated humans who are called demons. One of the demons finds him and helps him hide from everybody. I won't tell you further because I think that you should really read this book and it is really good. Everybody should read it.
Komal
Let me say straight out that the book is meant for younger children, and I myself read it as a child. But I still remember the trails of magic that seemed to lead into its story and the childish enchantment this book held for me. Despite the book being brief and full of elves and witches, it gives you very warm reminders of how good it is to love and be human. If this author ever wrote anything more mature, I would love to read it.
Kyra Dune
It's interesting to read a story from the point of view of someone not human and I think the author did a fine job of making Tom and his kind very different and strange. This is a rather odd book and though I did enjoy it, it was a little dull. It's also a fairly short read, or at least it was for me. Still, if you like YA fantasy and you're looking for something kind of different, you might want to give this one a try.
Jenny
Tom is an outcast from the elven Tribe, and his sire Larn is hunting him. He must flee to the demon city with stifling houses and loud voices, far from the cold, fierce freedom of the stars. He is not elven and not demon, but something in between. He is found by two demon children, Joe and Amy, who enslave him with bonds of human love that won't let go and change him forever.
Ruby
I found Sally Prue's first published work to be strong from start to finish. This book is different than most fantasy books I've read, which is a big plus. Written for the YA segment, this book is one that explores the bonds of that "demons" share, whether from the same familial link or not. An easy read that keeps you turning page after page.
Yvonne
Tom is different from the rest of his tribe. He fears to get killed and flees to the city of demons - the humans.

It sounded promising but was a steange read - part of it might be due to the fact that I've read the German translation.

I guess I might try to find an English copy and read it again, there is so much that just gets lost in translation.
Landon Nethercott
Absolutely phenomenal. This book kept me up for long hours reading it over and over. With each turn of the page I would whisper to myself, "Just one more page" but would ultimately give in and turn the pages until tiredness overcame me and I was forced to, reluctantly, set it aside until morning.
Dayna Smith
Tom is an elf. He has never been to the city of the demons (humans). He gets into trouble and has to run from the world of elves and ends up with the demons. The whole new world he discovers changes his life forever. This is a very interesting story from the perspective of an elf.
Yaquiria Inoa
I think this book is interesting. I like the story in this book. This book is very confusing to me in some parts of the book. I had to read it again to actually understand whats going on. But this book is great and its one of my favorite books.
Jo
Tom is part of an elven tribe but doesn't really fit in. He runs away when his 'parents' tell him they plan to kill him and falls in with some 'demons' (humans). It was fairly simplistic and not that thrilling.
Susan
Wow! (Thank you Kathryn Kulpa!)

Read it in one bite. You won't know whose eyes you're looking through as you do, and when you're done, and look away, you'll see a different world.

Angela Alcorn
Found this book through this article - looks interesting.
  • Wild Horses (Saddle Club, #58)
  • Prom Queen Geeks
  • The Ripper
  • Warriors of Camlann (Warriors #2)
  • Finding Buck McHenry
  • Gaia Abducted (Fearless Super Edition, #2)
  • The Dark Horse
  • Heretic
  • The Diary
  • Shadow of the Sphinx (Charmed, #16)
  • Bright Shadow
  • Gom on Windy Mountain (Gom, #1)
  • Mondays Are Red
  • Star Power (Talent, #3)
  • The Little King December
  • Midnight Library: Voices
  • The Stone Pilot
  • Where Were You Robert
Devil's Toenail The Truth Sayer (Truth Sayer, #1) Ice Maiden March of the Owlmen Goldkeeper