Start by marking “Super-Ego: Family Matters” as Want to Read:
Super-Ego: Family Matters

Super-Ego: Family Matters

it was ok 2.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
Published February 2014 by Magnetic Press

To ask other readers questions about Super-Ego, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super-Ego

Sam Quixote
May 28, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it it was ok
A comic about a psychiatrist for superheroes? It’s not the worst idea for a comic but it’s also not the best. Plus the creator would need to have something interesting to say about superheroes’ psychology for it to be worthwhile – and unfortunately he doesn’t.

The Iron Man facsimile has a drinking problem and Dr. Ego’s advice is to only use his robot suit when sober. The son of the Superman and Wonder Woman facsimiles is a mess because his parents are always busy saving the world and weren’t cut
Alan
Jul 31, 2014 Alan rated it it was ok
In this interests of full disclosure this is a Kickstarter that I contributed to. I liked the premise, and it made think back to the excellent Dr. Blink series of a few years ago. A therapist for supers, sounds like a premise that can be filled with both drama and comedy (and if anything Dr. Blink emphasized the comedy).

Dr. Goodman is no Dr. Blink. This is not a bad story, but not as good as the Dr. Blink series. Oliveira does a good job of taking super hero stereotypes and fitting them into the
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I rated this novel worthy!

WARNING! UNHIDDEN SPOILERS! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This graphic novel is one I could hardly avoid given that its subject matter is a psychotherapist who treats super heroes. I mean, what’s not to like? It’s a pity we
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at: http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress...

I received a digital copy of this title for review from the publishers via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Dr Eugene Goodman dons the persona of SuperEgo to tend to the psychological wounds of the city's superheroes, but a deeply hidden family secret threatens to undo all his good work.

I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when I requested this title, but I find it hard to go past any book, but particularly fiction, in which mental health is
Wayne McCoy
Jun 26, 2014 Wayne McCoy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Super-Ego: Family Matters' features an interesting premise, a psychiatrist for superheroes. Unfortunately, the book dwells in parody rather than going in what I'd hoped would be a more thoughtful direction.

Superheroes are a bit screwed up. It takes someone with some issues to put on a suit and take justice in their own hands. When those heroes need help, they turn to Dr. Ego. He treats his patients by wearing a reflective hood over his face to reflect their faces back at him. His patients run t
Fantasy Literature
Aug 16, 2014 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
Super Ego is a superhero spoof about a clinical psychotherapist who specializes in the superhuman condition. In order to meet with his super clientele, Dr. Eugene Goodman wears a silver,j reflective, skin-tight mask. Otherwise, he's dressed in suit and tie and goes to a typical-looking office with a stereotype for a secretary. This set-up could result in a very typical type of superhero parody, a sub-genre that's become almost as cliché as the superhero genre itself. However, Oliveira's dialogue ...more
Katbyrdie
As a psych major, former counselor, and nerd, this book appealed to me on many levels. I found myself laughing out loud a few times. The parody of some common superheroes may have been my favourite part. You'll notice what I mean in the first few pages. The character development was well done for such a short collection volume. It didn't have a lot of diversity, racial or gender, and the women either had huge breasts (or, the one that didn't have big breasts, had bright circles around her chest ...more
Ashleigh
May 07, 2014 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
Read as digital ARC.

I'm completely obsessed with this, and I want/demand more. As a DC enthusiast, I was thrilled to see Super-Ego taking cues from DC legends. I'm always looking for superhero work that rivals Hero, and I was not disappointed here. I was blown away by the art as well. Giving Dr. Ego the reflective mask was genius, and I definitely slowed down my reading just to admire the view. Strong story. Strong backstory... Show me what comes next!
Elle Markov
May 25, 2014 Elle Markov rated it really liked it
This one was hilarious, it’s like a parody of the established superhero, except it’s told from the point of a guy who used to be a villain and after landing in prison somehow turns his life around and becomes the shrink all the supers go to.

It’s a short 92 page comic that is amusing, the graphic are your very typical hero comic book type. I say read, it’s funny because you never really think of heroes needed shrinks, that’s usually saved for the crazies.

Rating 4 out of 5
Read@Book
Fiction State Of Mind
May 12, 2014 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
This is really cool! I wasn't familiar with these creators so I'm glad it ended up on netgalley. This is the story ( origin) of Super-Ego a therapist who specializes in counseling Super Heroes.
This story has some really great characters that are similiar to well known characters.Lot's of humor and a suprise twist That I really enjoyed. I hope there are more volumes of the story to come.
Doreen
Jul 10, 2014 Doreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: snapshot
5/30/14 If you like superhero comics, you need to read this book. I repeat, IF YOU LIKE SUPERHERO COMICS, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK. It totally blew my mind. Best concept. So good. So smart. Review tk.

7/10/14 http://www.iwantmytwodollars.com/2014...
Sidra M.S.
Sidra M.S. rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Lakis Fourouklas
Lakis Fourouklas rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Ming Siu
Apr 05, 2014 Ming Siu rated it liked it
An entertaining enough read, with some cute/clever ideas.
Annice22
Annice22 rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2014
Kayla Farber
Kayla Farber rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Vilhjalmur I.
Vilhjalmur I. marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015