Start by marking “The Mark of the Assassin. Daniel Silva” as Want to Read:
The Mark of the Assassin. Daniel Silva

The Mark of the Assassin. Daniel Silva (Michael Osbourne #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  4,324 ratings  ·  221 reviews
When world peace, following the collapse of communist Russia, begins to cost an American armament manufacturer dear, he enlists the aid of the Society, a secret organisation with the mission of ensuring wealth remains in the hands of an elite few.
Published July 15th 1999 by Orion (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of the Assassin. Daniel Silva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark of the Assassin. Daniel Silva

Benjamin Thomas
I’ve long anticipated dipping my toe into the works of popular author Daniel Silva and now that I’ve made that first effort, I fully anticipate diving all the way in. Silva, of course, is most famous for his long running Gabriel Allon series. However, I happened to have both of his early Michael Osbourne books on my TBR shelves so I chose to start with them. This particular book is actually his second published novel, after the stand-alone The Unlikely Spy.

This novel did its job: it held my inte
Linda
The Mark of the Assassin is billed as part of the Gabriel Allon series, and as a prequel, I suppose there’s some truth in that. But Allon makes no appearances here, although familiar characters such as Adrian Carter do have roles. The eponymous assassin is Jean-Paul Delaroche, whose “mark” is his killing style, always three shots to the face. He’s a pretty effective antagonist. As for the protagonist, Michael Osborne, he’s no Gabriel Allon, personality wise. Most of the characters, in fact, good ...more
Jim A
This was a re-read for me, having first read this book when it was first published in paperback. Actually this was my first experience with Daniel Silva back then, written before he started his very popular Gabriel Allon series. There are a couple of characters in this book that Silva carried forward into the Allon series, Adrian Carter of the CIA and Ari Shamron of Israeli Intelligence (Mossad). Interestingly, Shamron is not a good guy in this novel, although he really only has a cameo.

For anyo
Margarida
Na realidade são 3,5*

Espionagem, conspiração, parentes e afins... tudo aquilo a que Daniel Silva nos tem vindo a habituar.

E, ao contrário do que pensava, porque tenho um "carinho" especial pelo Gabriel Allon, gostei. Conseguiu mesmo, prender-me desde o início. Acção bem desenvolvida, sem momentos mortos e apesar de não sentir pelo Osbourne a mesma empatia que sinto pelo Allon, achei-o uma personagem interessante!

É um livro que se lê bastante bem.
Catarina
Comecei a ler Daniel Silva com o livro “Morte em Veneza”, do personagem Gabriel Allon. Acho sinceramente que ter lido até agora 12 livros com este personagem me impediu de apreciar convenientemente “The Mark of the Assassin”.

Senti que, embora a história fosse perfeitamente plausível e tenha gostado de ler sobre personagens já conhecidos noutras fases das suas vidas, o personagem principal não “convence” tanto quanto Gabriel Allon.

A história demorou a desenrolar-se, e nunca me prendeu verdadeira
Mike Tueros
Having read the Gabriel Allon series, I've long been a fan of Daniel Silva's writing, however had not gone back to read his earliest works, including this book featuring CIA operative Michael Osbourne. The story revolves around the terrorist bombing of a flight departing from JFK and an assassination bearing the trademark "3 shots to the face" that Osbourne recognizes from a previous murder. Osbourne has been tracking him on the side for years, and knows the trail is hot after the latest killing ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
Another reviewer could not put this book down. I could - and did after about a hundred pages. Granted the subject is topical, but the plot is unbelievable and so are the mechanics necessary to make it work. To take but one example, the fact that the wife of the CIA agent happens to be a close friend of the investigative journalist is a coincidence too far.

As for the writing: "... surrounded by the élite of Washington's Republican establishment," a waiter hands Elizabeth "a glass of cold Chardon
Fabíola Maciel
Três balas no rosto da vítima. Esta é a marca do melhor assassino do mundo. Outubro, o assassino que adora o compasso de tempo em que espera pelo momento certo para atacar a vítima, nunca falha as missões que aceita.

Quando o avião do vôo 002 explode, Michael Osbourne descobre uma vítima baleada três vezes no rosto e percebe que não se tratou de um simples acto de terrorismo. O assassino que matara Sarah (a mulher que amou perdidamente e em quem continua a pensar diariamente) estava novamente em
Bekki Phillips
If you don't mind cliches then you'll probably enjoy this book. But if scandinavian blondes with vivid blue eyes, cia agents who are as good as good, kgb baddies who are as bad as bad and have psychological problems aren't your thing then seriously don't bother. the plot is predictable. the characters are obvious and without interest and all in all the story is one that has been told a billion times before. Frankly, I was bored.
Gary Furrow
Interesting series

This is Daniel Silva's second series. The first is about an iconic says of Israeli spies.

However, this is a series of most people would consider to be their first series. The action is good, the characters realistic , the dialogue is good, and overall the book comes together well. It is a bit hard to believe.

The premise of the book is that a group of people shoot down a flight leaving JFK. They do this in order to convince the US that we need to purchase a defensive system
Anne
This book is, without a doubt one of the worst suspense novels I've ever read. It seems to have one cliche after another. First there's your uber-asassin, which seems ripped out from a James Bond movie and to a lesser extent, Frederick Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal. Then, there's your money-grubbing conspiracy to rule the world using terrorism, extortion, etc. Does this sound at all like SPECTRE from the old James Bond movies? Perhaps the author should have considered making an original plot i ...more
Ccdemaio
This book is clearly the precursor for the Gabrielle Allon books, which made it really fun for me to read. There is something very comfortable in reading a story where many of the characters are familiar to the reader, and that was the case for me with The Mark of the Assassin since I've read all of the Gabrielle Allon books. The plot is compelling and clearly delineated. Sometimes these types of mystery/adventure stories get caught up in all of the details of the agencies represented in the plo ...more
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
A fast paced mystery which starts out a bit slow (but well paced) and keeps your reading with twists and a surprise I didn't see midway through.
To be fair though, the setup alone is half the book.

The story starts with an act of terrorism. A jet liner is shot out of the sky using an land-to-air shoulder missile, the shooter is a terrorist known to the authorities who is found dead next to the empty missile tube shot in the face three times.
Three shots to the face are the mark of the assassin a
Brenda
This is my first Daniel Silva title, and I enjoyed it very much. There were quite a few characters to keep track of, but once I’d done that, the story flowed wonderfully.

The book is full on from the beginning. Terrorists, using a stinger missile, blew an airliner out of the sky, just after take-off as it was leaving JFK International Airport and heading for London. But when Michael Osbourne from the CIA began the investigation, he discovered something linking the investigation to his past. A bod
Jim
I was looking through my bookcase for something to read recently and discovered Daniel Siiva’s second book THE MARK OF THE ASSASSIN (ISBN 978-0451209313, $9.99, paperback). This contemporary spy thriller features Michael Osbourne, a former field agent, who now rides a desk in the Langley, VA headquarters of the CIA. His mission is to uncover and neutralize an assassin whose modus operandi is three bullets in the face of his victims.

What sets Michael off on this adventure is the crash of Transatl
J
I did not realize Gabriel Allon would not be mentioned at all! This book takes place mostly in the United States, among American players.

A U.S. commercial airliner goes down in a missile attack. The crime is staged to make the U.S. think that Muslim or Middle Eastern terrorists are responsible.

It's all a massive, intricate subterfuge to allow a major U.S. defense contractor get a lot of biz. The president's wife (tangentially) and key friends and advisors to the president are involved.

Michael Os
Sheri faulk
Wow! This is the first Daniel Silva I've read, and I LOVED it! It's a 4.5 star!

An American jetliner is shot down from the sky off of Long Island by a hand held Stinger missile by a two man team in a small boat, killing all aboard. The boat is discovered to be the tomb of a dead Palestinian terrorist with links to the militant group the Sword of Gaza. He had been shot 3 times in the face, the signature of premier assassin Jean Paul Delaroche, known as October.
The attack had been orchestrated by
Jeff Bricker
My first Daniel Silva novel and his 2nd (The Unlikely Spy being his debut). Overall, it's a tightly written, globe trotting thriller. His main character, Michael Osbourne, is very reminensent of Clancy's Jack Ryan -- not that that's a bad thing as familiarity might bring Clancy readers comfort. Unlike TC, Silva does not exhaust pages upon pages with descriptions of military hardware nor feel the need to explain every minute detail of a character's background (two consistent criticims I have of C ...more
Jeanne
Again, my husband recommended this book. He said it was the second in the "Gabriel Allon" series, however it was actually the first of the "Michael Osbourne" series. This confusion made reading the book quite amusing.

I kept waiting for the Gabriel Allon character to be introduced into the story. The only remotely close character, who the author took pains to keep a mystery, was the "bad" guy who helped the terrorists shoot down an American jet. I was outraged that the Israelis would do such a th
Carlee
Note: I listened to this book as an audiobook and got to about page 220 (about 2/3 through the book). These were my thoughts:

There are many characters in The Mark of the Assasin that I don't even know where to start... some spoilers below.

A stinger missile is launched off a yacht in Boston, hitting a jetliner upon take-off and killing everyone aboard. The attack is attributed to the Sword of Gaza, a Palestinian terrorist group. Under the advisement of his Chief of Staff, Paul Vandenberg, Preside
Ed
Apr 11, 2011 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spy Story and Thriller Fans
This is an early effort by Daniel Silva to create another character different from Gabril Allon. The effort is patially successful. While Michael Osbourne is no Allon, neverthless this story is a good one.

Moving around the world to London, Cairo, Amsterdam, and Washington, Osbourne attempts to find the terrorists who shot down an airliner off the coast of Long Island. Osbourne's main antagonist is Delaroche, a KGB-trained expert assassin who leaves a signature on the people he kills, three shot
Michele Atkinson
Easy quick read that entertains

I haven't gotten into the Alton series but I enjoyed The Unlikely Spy so I wanted to give Silva another chance. I'm glad he has another series even if it's only two books.

This was a more modern example of the types of books I like with flashes into the periods i enjoy more (WWII and cold war). The story caught my attention and was interesting throughout. I enjoyed the twists along the way and found the ending satisfying. Going to download the second book now.
Bill H.
Silva is a very competent plot-maker, setting up locations, motivation, side-conflicts, and climactic action. In this age of intense media scrutiny and whistle-blowers, it seems a bit far-fetched that the financial connections between a sitting president and a defense contractor were not exposed earlier, which is a basis for the larger conspiracy. In some ways the assassin is really the "star" of this novel, though certainly not the sympathetic character. Silva, to his credit, doesn't clean up a ...more
Rochelle
This is my first Daniel Silva novel, but not my first espionage thriller. Flashback to the Lockerbie disaster. Fast-forward to the skies of the 21st century and not much has changed in the interim. With few exceptions, the plot is fast-paced and riveting. Yes, the characters are drawn broadly (such as the First Lady, Mrs. Macbeth and her husband the Dupe), but I'm just a sucker for blatant bad guys and good guys, evil women and gutsy, plucky women. What's not to love?!
Mónica Silva
Este livro inicia a narrativa com um episódio chocante: a estreia no mundo criminoso de um futuro potencial terrorista com apenas quinze anos. Pois é este o tema desta obra: o terrorismo.

Mas não só. Esta é também uma estória de personagens reais, palpáveis, de um chefe de família com dificuldade em cumprir as suas obrigações familiares, de um homem com um passado trágico e com uma carreira em perseguir terroristas que ameaça a sua própria vida. Este homem é Michael Osbourne, uma das melhores per
Susan
This was good, but not as good as the Gabriel Allon series by Silva. It is spy/intrigue, and the protagonist, Michael Osborne, works for the CIA. It is a bit like Ken Follett's "Eye of the Needle." There is a LOT going on, some probably not really necessary. The ending however is very suspenseful, and kept my attention from the slow run-up all the way to the end. What interested me is the very secret international society of movers and shakers who has placed the puppet U.S. president who is easi ...more
Will
Michael Osbourne 1. Osbourne meets October, kills Astrid. The downing of PanAm 002 off Long Island sets the spooks on the trail, briefly sidetracked by the Sword of Allah group. Michael, in the throes of tackling IVF with Elizabeth, decamps to London where he happens upon a terrorist revenge attack at Heathrow where he kills one terrorist and captures another. He is subsequently jousted to a meeting with the Sword of Allah leader aboard a Dover to Calais ferry boat which goes bad and ends in a f ...more
Zé Sousa
First Daniel Silva’s book I read and Meh!!
I like crime and mystery books and somehow this is just one more… I kinda liked but this book doesn't stand out from others I've read before. The beginning is too slow paced and it ends too quickly. Kind of strange!!!
Felt no connection with either the story or the characters... Too many cliches...
After this one I don’t know if I want to read other books from the author.
Armelle
It took me a while to get into this one, but once I did, it was a wild ride.

This is an early Silva book. The main character is Michael Osbourne - a sort of nearing the end of his career CIA officer who gets caught up in a current case that brings back an incident from his past.

I always get bored with the politics, but enjoy the spy stuff and the action.
Diana H.
OK, for those people who have read my book thoughts in the past, you know that I just don't have the ability to figure out who the bad guy is until the author tells me which character is the baddie.
In this book, author Daniel Silva tells the reader who the bad guy is right in the beginning, and I still couldn't figure out how he was going to make the story work.
I mean, it was almost worse knowing who the killer was as I read the story because with each chapter I struggled to try and figure out
Mark of the Assasin 1 15 Jan 14, 2010 09:03AM
  • The Runner
  • The Killing Ground (Sean Dillion, #14)
  • The Faithful Spy (John Wells, #1)
  • Mortal Allies (Sean Drummond, #2)
  • The Company of Strangers
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
  • The Cutout
  • Bloodmoney: A Novel of Espionage
  • The Blind Spy (Anna Resnikov, #3)
  • The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
  • An Expensive Place to Die
Daniel Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public policy programming. In 1994 he began work on his first novel, The Unlikely Spy, a surprise best seller that w ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Michael Osbourne (2 books)
  • The Marching Season (Michael Osbourne, #2)
The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10) The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9) The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6) Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)