Start by marking “Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades, #3)” as Want to Read:
Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades, #3)

Disciple of the Wind (Fated Blades #3)

LETHAL JUSTICE

When Tokyo falls victim to a deadly terrorist attack, Detective Sergeant Mariko Oshiro knows who is responsible, even if she doesn’t have proof. She urges her commanding officers to arrest the perpetrator—an insane zealot who was just released from police custody. When her pleas fall on deaf ears, she loses her temper and then her badge, as well as her best
Published April 7th 2015 by Roc

TheFountainPenDiva
Absolutely non-stop badass! THIS ladies and gents is how GOOD urban fantasy is supposed to be written. Notice the heroine isn't decked in a corset and stilettos and posed in some manner better suited to a layout in Vogue magazine. No, this heroine looks plenty ready to kick major ass. And NOTICE that she's Japanese. On the cover. The world didn't come to an end.

I had Disciple of the Wind on my Amazon wish list for an entire year and was chomping at the bit. I seldom pre-order books but I most ce
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jul 29, 2015 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

You know you've read a really good book when you finally put it down and want to re-read it right away just to be immersed in the world again. DISCIPLE OF THE WIND is one such book. DISCIPLE OF THE WIND has everything you'd want in a thriller from frantic chases, diabolical city destroying plots, and compelling characters you want to root for. I especially liked the fact that it is set in Japan as it was great to read a novel set in a place I don't rea
Cathy
I lovelove Mariko's story and would put up with a lot to be able to read that so even if the historical part wasn't going anywhere it wouldn't matter too much. But I dig the historical part too, even though it tends to be a little slower for me. And it was definitely faster paced this book than previously for some reason, I think I was almost as caught up in Daigoro's historical fiction part of the story this time as I was with Mariko's police procedural tale in modern Japan. Even though the ...more
Jacqie
May 04, 2016 Jacqie rated it liked it
This book's got a good concept. The main character is a female detective working in Tokyo. Her enemy is a cult leader with some supernatural powers apparently conferred by an iron demon mask that he wears.

There's a lot of action and the pace is fast. The author also inserts a story of feudal Japan, about a powerful mystical sword (which also shows up in the present, along with the mask) and the politics that surround it and its wielder.

While the ingredients for a good story are all there, I ne
Vinchi Cuyegkeng
Apr 14, 2015 Vinchi Cuyegkeng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need more fast! Excellent read for fans of Japanese culture and history

Excellently plotted urban fantasy(?) mythology set in modern day Japan. This is third instalment (all are stand alone) continues the authors meticulously plotted and researched American raised female cop heroine as she races to stop essentially Japan's deadliest urban terrorist.

The interplay between Japan's historical past frames the action in the present with the actual actors driving the story to be almost sentient swords
Troy
Apr 28, 2015 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never pre-order books. However after reading the first two novels in this series, I simply had to show my support for this author and his work in the hopes that he will continue to produce more novels in this universe.

I absolutely love how he pulls the reader into Japanese culture, both in present times and in the far past. Mariko is an amazing heroine as a member of the Tokyo Police, and Daigoro is awesome in his story in the past. Each time it would switch points of view I'd be excited and d
Sisa Wang
Dec 18, 2015 Sisa Wang rated it it was amazing
Loved it. What a satisfying end to a great series! It kept me on the edge of my seat, and the two story lines were beautifully converged by the integrity of the main characters. Fair warning: it definitely didn't shy away from the gruesome. But if you're looking for shootouts, sword fights, and action/adventure, you've come to the right place. It kept up a great pace and was rife with references to Japanese culture. The author's writing is witty too, with clever synonyms that remind me of ...more
Mike Trevors
Apr 06, 2016 Mike Trevors rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. I'm saddened to know that this was the last book in the series. I really do hope the author will return to this universe
Rachelle
Nov 26, 2016 Rachelle rated it really liked it
A contemporary adventure and historical fantasy about doing the right thing, making hard choices, loyalty, learning that “sometimes you are only what you can make yourself believe you are,” fate vs. free will, and individual rights vs. the greater good. There is danger, suspense, terrorist attacks, police investigation, philosophical discussions about honor and morality, and mystical (or divine) mask and blades. I was enthralled by Mariko’s struggle to retain her honor while saving lives and by ...more
Jennifer Jamieson
Nov 16, 2016 Jennifer Jamieson rated it liked it
The writing is good, but the story just didn't grab me.
Mark Dhas
Oct 13, 2016 Mark Dhas rated it it was amazing
Mariko is a fantastic character, full of flaws and yet a great detective. This was possibly the best book yet. Meanwhile, back in Feudal Japan, we get to experience the life of Diagaro as a ronin. The two stories are interwoven so well that no sooner had I finished one chapter that I wanted to get to the next to find out what was happening with the other characters.
Elika
Oct 14, 2016 Elika rated it it was amazing
loved this book and the entire fated blade series! to be honest though, daughter of the sword is my favorite.
Debbie Lester
Sep 09, 2015 Debbie Lester rated it it was amazing
Steve Bein's Fated Blades series, continues with Disciple of the Wind. This is really, really good Urban Fantasy. It combines a police procedural with mythology and Japanese history and also has a streak of magic in it, complete with mystical Japanese swords. Bein's lead character Mariko defies stereo-types and kicks some serious butt. Be it cop or rogue, she is one amazing heroine! Readers who enjoy urban fantasy will love it and if you're new to it, this is a good place to start.

What I liked:

I
Matt Braymiller
Nov 07, 2015 Matt Braymiller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads_2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. Now that I have finished book three, I see the ending has been left open for another book. I surely hope there will be a fourth novel.

I've greatly enjoyed the jumps back in time, looking at the Azuchi–Momoyama period of Japanese culture. Steve Bein has done his research well and has a real gift for drawing the reader back to the time of the Samurai and the code of Bushido.

The story of Daigoro reaches a conclusion that I won't spoil. His brush with the win
Soukyan Blackwood
Mar 19, 2016 Soukyan Blackwood rated it liked it
The rest of this long-winded review is at [ Night Mode Reading ]: Author, in my opinion, tried far too hard to “japanize” the story, as a result giving me as a reader and as a translator a lot of discomfort. Little bits he tried to use as “natural parts of speech” came off as “these people speak English among themselves in Japan, while being Japanese“, which is absolutely not the case, and yet the sensation stayed in my head. There’s also a small, but after you get annoyed by overuse of “neh?”, ...more
Amber
Feb 22, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it
This is a great fusion of historical fiction and a modern day crime/cop drama.

The author has clearly done a lot of research while writing and developing this book and this series. Both the modern day and historical plots show evidence of this. While I am hardly any kind of authority on anything Japanese there is still a distinct difference between someone who is simply a fan of Japan and someone who truly knows, understands and has researched the culture, people, and setting they are writing abo
Normalene
Oct 04, 2015 Normalene rated it really liked it
This is the third in the series (Year of the Demon, Daughter of the Wind) and equally good. Detective Mariko Oshiro has a cursed Inazuma blade and is still fighting the evil holder of an also cursed mask who thinks he should control the world. Her boss at the police precinct in Tokyo is worthless and she has to try to work around him to solve the mystery of what will happen next and how she can prevent it. Her partner is very likeable but has his own career to think of even though he tosses it ...more
Jaye
May 06, 2015 Jaye rated it really liked it
This series just gets better and better. The last book ended with Mariko narrowly heading off a terrorist attack by the Divine Wind cult and their mad leader Joko Daishi. That should make her a hero, but instead she's demoted, and eventually suspended. It's up to her to turn things around, and the mysterious Wind shinobi clan are after her too. Between chapters of the present day are sprinkled the historical deeds of the ronin Daigoro, who also wielded Mariko's Inazuma sword, Glorious Victory ...more
Pedro Marroquín
Jan 23, 2016 Pedro Marroquín rated it really liked it
No tan especial como los dos primeros de esta serie, con su mezcla de procedimiento policial en el Tokyo actual y al mismo tiempo retroceder al Japón del 1500 para contarte una historia que acompañe la actual. El malo de Tokyo es demasiado malo e inteligente y loco, y la historia de samurais apenas tiene luchas (hasta la traca final, claro). Pero a pesar de no funcionar del todo bien, se deja leer con gusto y tiene pasajes bastante buenos (como el shinobi en la época actual). B+
Holly Mcentee
Sep 04, 2015 Holly Mcentee rated it liked it
So I thought I'd made the same mistake I've made before, reading all three books in the series back to back to back, because about halfway through this one (the 3rd) I got very tired of it all. I'm glad I persevered, because the action picked up very quickly and the resolutions were satisying. I do like Mariko, the main character, quite a lot. I do need a break from the genre though, so my next read will be something cyberpunk with nary a magic Japanese sword to be found.
Darcy
May 05, 2015 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: uf, 2015
It seems like with this book Mariko crossed more lines than she ever thought she would and didn't feel really good about it. I can see why Mariko felt that way, but sometimes you have to look at the big picture instead of the small one. I do like that Han knows what Mariko did and understands her trepidation. He can also be someone to hold her in check.

The past story with the Bear Cub was great, I liked how he managed to be one move ahead of everyone and how things ended for him.
Susan
May 17, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
What a fitting conclusion to the Fated Blades series. Or, maybe not a conclusion? I hope for many more from Bein. His characters of Mariko and Daigoro are vividly written. I'd trust Mariko to have my back in a fight, or anything else. Bein's research is incredible, but, first and foremost, the story is the point. He jumps from 2010 to 1588 with ease. I would recommend these books to anyone who loves great writing and an excellent story.
Stephen
Oct 26, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Mr. Bien has really hit is stride in with this novel. The Mariko storyline is great with a complex plot and many interesting twists and turns. For me the Diagaro narrative of ancient Japan continues to be the most fascinating and fun. The juxtaposition of the two narratives is well handled , each complementing the other storyline. Start with the first book in this series and enjoy the ride!
Tony Hisgett
Sep 23, 2015 Tony Hisgett rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy
I almost gave up with this series after the last book ‘Year of the Demon’ but I decide to give it another chance. Unfortunately, I was already struggling with the arrogant misogynistic Japanese culture from the previous books, but the beginning of this book was the final straw.
Shelly
May 10, 2015 Shelly rated it really liked it
This is another good urban fantasy/mystery set in modern-day Japan, with flashbacks that are set 500 years ago.
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Bluesun2600
Bluesun2600 rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Kanen
Kanen rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sisters of the Sword (Sisters of the Sword, #1)
  • Objects Of His Obsession
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek (novel): Volume 1
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Princeless #1
  • Crusader's Torch (Atta Olivia Clemens, #2)
  • Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions, #2)
  • Moonshadow: The Wrath of Silver Wolf (Moonshadow, #2)
  • Men of Tokyo: Forbidden Cravings (White Tigers #7)
  • The Mark of Noba (The Sterling Wayfairer Series, #1)
  • The Holy Dark (The Black Parade, #3)
  • Complicated By You (Coventon Campus, #1)
  • Tiger Lily
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • Natural Beauty
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • Into the Vampire City (The Human Revolt)

Fated Blades (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Sword (Fated Blades, #1)
  • Year of the Demon (Fated Blades, #2)