Start by marking “Edible French: Tasty Expressions and Cultural Bites” as Want to Read:
Edible French: Tasty Expressions and Cultural Bites

Edible French: Tasty Expressions and Cultural Bites

The idiosyncrasies of language can tell us a lot about a culture. In this delightful book, Clotilde Dusoulier, creator of the award-winning food blog Chocolate & Zucchini, delves into the history and meaning of fifty of the French language’s most popular food-related expressions.

Accompanied by beautiful watercolor illustrations by artist Mélina Josserand, Edible French
Published October 7th 2014 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about Edible French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible French

Yodamom
Oct 09, 2014 Yodamom rated it really liked it
I expected to hear some common French phrases I’ve heard over the years but I got some really unknown ones. I think I’ve heard maybe three of all these. The French language is so beautiful you can say the nastiest thing and make it sound like a love poem. Knowing these little phrases should be fun. “Etre tout sucre tout miel” = being all sugar and honey. Which basically means somebody who is being all fake, overly nice, and sweet when they don’t really feel that way. One of the weirdest to me ...more
Siria
Jun 14, 2015 Siria rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This charming little book, illustrated with some equally charming watercolours, gives the history and meaning of fifty different food-related French idioms. I hadn't heard of more than a handful of them before, but I'm now going to try my best to work être comme un coq dans pâte or avoir un cœur d'artichaut into my conversational French. There are also some delicious looking recipes that will likely reward further exploration.
Juli Anna
Nov 15, 2016 Juli Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This was a cute little novelty book. Not a heavy-hitter, but enjoyable, and the illustrations are delightful.
Julie
Sep 30, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
Delightful, charming little nibble of a book with sweet watercolors, and you don't need to speak a word of French to enjoy it, though the remnants of my high school French made it more fun.
Glennis
Sep 10, 2014 Glennis rated it liked it
This is the perfect little gift book for the foodie or language lover in your life. The book provides a nice color drawing of the food in question and a short description of the saying in French and gives some background how it might have developed in the language. Instead of the usual coffee table book a cute book to have in the kitchen or the nearby breakfast bar to flip through while waiting for something to finish cooking.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher though NetGalley
Libraryassistant
Jun 19, 2015 Libraryassistant rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie, word-y
Les "bons mots" and charming watercolors make up this engaging book. The background on some of the phrases gives interesting insight into the differing perspective of French and English speakers when it comes to food.
Dana
Jan 09, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it
With lovely watercolor illustrations, this is a beautiful book of French "edible idioms" - idiomatic sayings about food. The author explains the background and meaning of each idiom. There are also a few French recipes in the book as well. I received this book free to review from Netgalley.
Janie
Dec 01, 2014 Janie rated it did not like it
Don't bother.The only reason to pick up the book is the few drawings in the book that are enjoyable. This person is not a writer.
Emily Bragg
Jan 03, 2015 Emily Bragg rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Cute little book, though I'm slightly unsure whether or not it is an elaborate plot to trick non-native speakers into complete absurdity when trying any of the phrases out.
Pixie
Feb 07, 2015 Pixie rated it liked it
A super fast read. It is literally 50 short translations of 50 French phrases involving food and blurbs on the origins of the phrases, with watercolor illustrations.
Elaine
Nov 28, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
Lovely little book with scrumptious French sayings, each accompanied by simple but beautiful watercolor paintings. I would totally buy this book the next time I go browsing on Amazon.
Allyson
Jan 04, 2015 Allyson rated it really liked it
This is a very cute little book with gorgeous illustrations. If I could only remember half of what I read, I would be doing well.
Lisa Urso
Lisa Urso rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Hilary
Feb 14, 2015 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Adorable collection of French colloquialisms...
Karen Spooner
Karen Spooner rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Christina Bjenning
Christina Bjenning rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Cristi Marashi
Cristi Marashi rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Shannon Fleming
Shannon Fleming rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Jen Shu
Jen Shu rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Debra Johnson
Debra Johnson rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Bora
Bora rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Ven
Ven rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Clotilde Dusoulier is a Parisian author and blogger who lives in Montmartre and shares her passion for all things food-related -- thoughts, recipes, musings, cookbook acquisitions, quirky ingredients, nifty tools, restaurant experiences, ideas, and inspirations.
More about Clotilde Dusoulier...