Start by marking “Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars, #3)

Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars #3)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,662 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The wait is over. New York Times bestselling author Jack Campbell continues his action-packed spin-off to The Lost Fleet series as the Syndicate’s civil war threatens to spread even farther into the final frontier…

President Gwen Iceni and General Artur Drakon have successfully liberated the Midway Star System—but the former rulers of the Syndicate Worlds won’t surrender
Published October 7th 2014 by Ace Hardcover (first published October 2014)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This series is seriously suspenseful. I admit I am quite hooked. There were moments in this book where I thought it was all over, so kudos to you, Mr. Campbell. My question now is, when is the next one coming out?

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books: http://bittenbybooks.com.
Mary Catelli
Mar 19, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it
The third Lost Stars book. Spoilers ahead for the first two -- and less so, for the Lost Fleet.

For instance, the book deals quite a bit with what Colonel Morgan did last book, and the hold it gives her over General Drakon.

But that's not the main plot. The main plot is that a nearby planet, Ulinda, is looking like an issue and a possibility. Morgan is set to scout before an invasion, though they have serious issues allocating forces, even with having recovered the fleet members who were Alliance
Alex
"Imperfect Sword" is #3 of the Shadow series called "The Lost Stars". I loved it. These novels parallel "The Lost Fleet" series but taken from the point of view of the bad guys... in particular the Midway system that has broken away from the Syndicate Worlds. The leadership is trying to be good guys but they really only half believe that it is possible and are often surprised when being a good guy actually works for them.

The Story: President Icini and General Draken still don't fully trust each
Jonathan
Oct 13, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it
A nice entry in the Lost Stars series and a nice adventure. The only problem is it is tying off previous threads and setting the stage for new ones.... which isn't a bad thing.

The bad thing is now I have to wait for the next one and it'll be a while yet.
Robert
Nov 15, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2014-15-season
Even more action packed and tense than previous installments.
Boulder Boulderson
Another excellent book in the Lost Fleet universe. Seemed like a bit of a filler in a way; after the high-paced action of the first couple in the series, not a great deal of action takes place unfortunately. It is interesting to see the ground combat as opposed to the fleet battles of previous novels, however there's nothing really special about it.

I did find the attitude to nation-building very American, basically the same concept as they use in the real world - go in and smash the existing mil
Michelle
Sep 30, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
A very good follow up to the 2nd book. I hope book 4 of this series is just as good or better. Since there is no 5 hopefully however this series ends is a good one with no unanswered questions.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Oct 31, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobook

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

I honestly can't get enough of all of the Lost Stars/Fleet/Beyond the Frontier novels. While others have complained that they are too much of the 'same old', I enjoy every single book that comes out. With this third book in the Lost Stars timeline, worries that the storyline was becoming too soap operish with the Morgan developments were fortunately laid to rest. Here, we have pure action, this time on two fronts, and en
Per Gunnar
Feb 17, 2015 Per Gunnar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book do not really surprise. It is a solid continuation of The lost Stars series continuing the story of Midway's struggles trying to build a somewhat more humane and democratic society than the Syndicate as well as keep their hard fought for independence.

The book is well written in the usual way of Jack Campbell and it is definitely an enjoyable read. The book jumps rather quickly into quite a bit of action with a Syndicate attack on Midway led buy a fanatical Syndicate CEO. I do not think
Joe Slavinsky
Jan 23, 2016 Joe Slavinsky rated it really liked it
Campbell writes some of the best military science fiction out there. This book is a continuation of a spin-off of his "Lost Fleet" series. The evil Syndicate of Planets once owned, and operated, the MIdway star system. Once the Syndicate was defeated by the Alliance, and hero of the Lost Fleet series, "Black Jack" Geary, two former Syndicate executives have been able to take control of Midway, and are trying to stabilize, and maintain it. The problem: Midway is a very desirable star system, with ...more
Jean Poulos
I enjoyed Jack Campbell’s “Lost Fleet” series and have just keep reading right into his new sub series of the “Lost Stars” series. This is book three in the series. The series follows the trials and tribulations of the newly independent Midway Star System. We met this Star System and the people in the later books of the “Lost Fleet” series.

Midway broke away from the Syndicated Worlds Empire and formed their independent Star System. President Gwen Iceni and head of ground forces General Artur Dra
David
The third book in Jack Campbell's (aka John Hemry) 'The Lost Stars', this continues the story of Gwen Iceni and Arrur Drakon from the star system Midway in the wake of their revolution against their former Syndicate rulers.

This also takes place mostly alongside the events of Steadfast, with 'Balck Jack' Geary making a brief cameo about two-thirds of the way through, for reason explained in that other book.

The bulk of this novel concerns a preemptive attack on a neighbouring star system in which
Andy Simmons
Jan 12, 2015 Andy Simmons rated it it was amazing
Yet another winner from Jack Campbell. I've been a fan of his writing since he originally published the Stark Trilogy. I think that the Lost Fleet is quite simply the best space opera around. The Lost Stars series is certainly an excellent addition to the "Lost Fleetiverse" with good characters, an excellent setting and an engaging plot. In this instalment the "free forces" of Midway fight of another invasion attempt by the Syndicate forces and free a neighbouring star system from tyrannical ...more
Karl Schaeffer
I really like this sidetrack of the Lost Fleet series. The focus of these books are the Planetary System of Midway and their struggle to chart a path independent of the Syndicate worlds. Midway ised by two former high level Syndic COE's Gwen Iceni and Artur Drakon. While high level CEOs, they've found themselves on Midway for not quite toeing the Syndicate line. When the Syndicate loses to the Alliance, Iceni and Drakon find themselves unwilling allies as they stage a coup, wipe out areas of ...more
Adrian
Oct 14, 2014 Adrian rated it it was amazing
As with all the books in the "Black Jack" theme, excellent.

IS stuff repeated, yes but it doesn't really bother me because its used in the "what will they do" context Geary is so successful because he doesn't follow any known or accepted method or procedure (mindless assault or back-stabbing and self-serving been very common). Iceni and Drakon are finding that doing the same (care for your people, trust someone, think, etc) can be very succesful.

Trivia point - the US cover is closer to the conte
Bonhomous
Oct 08, 2014 Bonhomous rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. It was a quick read, the characters are interesting. There was a typo in the first edition that read "Geary" instead of Drakon which I thought was an interesting Freudian slip.
The problem I have is that once you have read the series, some of these ideas are repeated constantly and it's getting old. As an example, the idea that the Syndicate CEOs don't trust anyone is repeated over and over again. If this book is the first one you're reading, maybe it's important to keep ment
Fantasy Literature
Dec 29, 2014 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
After the last book in Jack Campbell’s THE LOST STARS series, I was really almost dreading Imperfect Sword. I felt like Campbell had lost touch with the meaning of Military Science Fiction and was wandering in the land of Science Fiction Romance. Well, fortunately I have been rebuked; with Imperfect Sword, Campbell delivers a wonderful action-packed installment and restores my belief in him as an author who knows when to blow something up with a plasma cannon or take someone down with a sharp ...more
Jaye
Nov 08, 2015 Jaye rated it really liked it
Trouble continues in the Midway star system as General Drakon and President Iceni deal with enemies foreign and domestic. Word has come that another CEO has thrown off the yoke of the Syndicate in the nearby Ulindi system, but he continues to support Syndicate forces, so the General and a portion of Midway's ground and space forces go there to deal with his threat. Meanwhile, treacherous forces try to undermine the public support for the Iceni government, but nothing in this book goes according ...more
Bruce
Jun 03, 2015 Bruce rated it liked it
Although I really enjoy both The Lost Fleet series, and just finished (and loved) Leviathan, the The Lost Stars books just don't do it for me. It's almost as if they're written by different people. Just as for the previous parts of this series, I found the first half of the book boring. I do audiobooks, and my mind was constantly wandering instead of staying with the long uninteresting conversations the characters are always having. Until I was about 2/3 of the way through, I had intended to rat ...more
Anne
May 26, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2016
This review was originally posted at The Book Nympho

Awesome on every level, Imperfect Sword has all my favorite stuff. There’s plenty of political maneuvering, mystery, action, battles, a touch of romance and even humor! I can go to 4.5 stars here.

There are continued attacks by the Syndicate on the new Midway system and its government. A key person in the administration disappears. The relationship between Iceni and Drakon grows. More people are saved and more people are lost.

Giggle worthy quot
Fred Hughes
Dec 06, 2014 Fred Hughes rated it it was amazing
Jack Campbell continues to spin the best Military Science Fiction there is.

In this episode we find a trap being set for General Drakan in the Ulindi system. A hidden fleet and over 100,000 hidden ground forces are just waiting for Drakan to show. How did they know he was coming ? Who is the mole inside the Midway system feeding the Syndicate key information ?

Fantastic space and ground battles.

Engaging characters and a heart pounding story arc that just grabs you and won't let go.

A highly recomme
Eric
Mar 02, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space-opera
Best of the 3. Great to see General Drakon and President Iceni actually coming together as partners. This book demonstrates how real leaders overcome their obstacles and make the most out of a bad situation. Both leaders, mostly working independently of each other this time, demonstrate their strengths and how they got to be where they are today.

As a side not, I'm glad the author didn't focus on viewing distance and real time events as much as the previous book, which marred it's overall effect
Julian
Dec 27, 2014 Julian rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This was a much better offering from the author and definitely the best book so far in this spinoff series. It wasn't until I was about three quarters through this book that I realised I was enjoying what I was reading. I just think that the way the main characters are written does not allow the reader to empathise with or like them enough, without this it is hard for me as the reader to care about them and thus this affects how I enjoy the book. Let's hope the forward momentum continues into ...more
M. West
Nov 22, 2014 M. West rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
You can easily read some good reviews by others. So I will keep it simple with this.

The Good: If you read his books you know what to expect, and you will get it. I really like the detailed way he writes.

The Bad: If you read his other books you know that these are short books. I honestly feel like they are "dumbed down" a bit. I would love to see his books closer to 800 pages rather than 300-400 pages.
Mike
Nov 11, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thirteenth book in an increasingly tired series, or set of series, Imperfect Sword gets back to what Hemry is good at: detailed, tactical, realistic descriptions of futuristic combat. His experience as a Marine shows through more on this book than previous ones as well. I don't know if the book is worth four stars or if it was just a relief from the wrung-out story and heavy-handed honor focus of the books that preceded it.
Elar
May 10, 2016 Elar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Syndicate part of the story is much more versatile and interesting. Even if you already know when or where Black Jack will appear and where story would end situation wise it is very good paced adventure with intriguing character. My only question is why there was such a big setup with previous series :). Maybe it is because of learning curve and author just gets better with more notches under the belt.
Conal
Sep 28, 2016 Conal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read in the universe Jack Campbell has created. The author returns us to the level of entertainment we have grown accustomed to. It is almost non-stop action in this one with lots of political intrigue going on in the background. He also left us with several new plot points for future releases in this story line.

4 stars for a fun read and recommended for all fans of Jack Campbell
Scott
Oct 15, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
#3 of the Lost Stars series. And yet another good novel, that answers some interesting questions that haven't come up yet, as well as giving us a few more things to think about. Campbell is really building up towards something and I can't wait to find out what it is.
However I did find a few things being repeated, and I believe that this made me not as interested in this one as the last.
Keen to get my hands on the next one.
Phil Cowin
Jan 18, 2015 Phil Cowin rated it it was amazing
Looking back on it, I originally thought this spin off of the Lost Fleet series was going to bomb. How can books that have showcased massive fleets facing off against each other where battleships rule the day suddenly drop down to small tactical fights with previously useless ships taking on roles...

Well, I should have had more faith. This is an excellent third book in the Lost Stars series.
Michael Rutkowski
Highly recommended ! Between the "Lost Stars' series of which this the 3rd book and the"Lost Fleet of which there are 11 books they are the best series in military scifi going ! This book was fast paced with almost constant action and battles ! Which is why I read this genre ! But it still had very good character development and deeper moral questions explored ! Not just a piece of fluff ! Thoroughly enjoyed !
Goodreads Librari...: merge books 3 14 Dec 11, 2014 04:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: MIssing Page Count for ISBN 0425272257 2 15 Oct 08, 2014 08:02PM
  • A Call to Duty (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #1)
  • For Honor We Stand
  • Deep Time (Star Carrier #6)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • Valkyrie Burning (Hayden War Cycle,#3)
  • Defender (Kris Longknife, #11)
  • The Fall (Crimson Worlds, #9)
  • The Oncoming Storm (Angel in the Whirlwind, #1)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • Starship: Mercenary (Starship, #3)
Jack Campbell is a pseudonym for American science fiction author John G. Hemry.

John G. Hemry is an American author of military science fiction novels. Drawing on his experience as a retired United States Navy officer, he has written the Stark's War and Paul Sinclair series.
More about Jack Campbell...

The Lost Stars (4 books)
  • Tarnished Knight (The Lost Stars, #1)
  • Perilous Shield (The Lost Stars, #2)
  • Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)