Start by marking “With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System: An Olympic Champion's Success System” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In the Olympic sport that is most dependent upon effective and precise mental management (rifle shooting), Olympic gold medalist Lanny Bassham proved he was the master. Perhaps no one has thought more and taught more or better distilled the purest essence of controlling our minds to produce the results which we desire in sports or life.
-- Turn mental shortcomings into ment
Published November 1st 1996 by Bookpartners

To ask other readers questions about With Winning in Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Winning in Mind

Acc13
Short and sweet.

Essential mental approach for competition.
Lot of overlap with some of his other material (Winning Sporting Clays); but excellent stuff that bears repetition.

Clearly written, and his examples keep you engaged.

Lessons apply to all competitive sports, and anything that requires consistency and re-invention of the self (life in general).

The mental aspects of my game had lagged so much that learning about them precipitated one of the biggest jumps on my learning curve since I started
Kristy Nuttall
This is a great book for anyone with a competitive nature. Our son is a 16 yr old athlete who wants to achieve his dreams and has the drive to do it. He's not a reader at all. So whenever we were in the car on a road trip, I turned it into an audiobook!

There is quite a bit of great info on how to win, how to NOT let the naysayers count and more importantly remind you to stay focused. There are also things to help you along your journey.

Hard work pays off and this book is definitely worth the ti
Phil Calandra
This book just did not resonate with me as it apparently did with so many other readers that purchased the book through amazon. The author was a world class shooter who won the Olympic God in 1976 among several world championships. The author states that 95 per cent of all winning is done by five per cent of all participants. This very well may be true; however, that 95 per cent with whom the author competed also had world class talent to compete on the world stage. Notwithstanding the long hour ...more
Steve Pearson
Great book. I am a golfer and particularly was interested in how many of the pros Lanny consults are able to maintain focus in pressure situations. I originally wanted to read this book to help me focus better in general. The book gives you practical methods to use to get the things you want from life, sports and non-sports related.

Easy to read and the author has lots of credibility as he has been able to achieve Olympic medals and help several professional golfers be successful.
Ahnika
Aug 01, 2011 Ahnika added it
Lanny is the man! He and his family are amazing people. My archery coach lended me this book (which I now have a signed copy of my own, YaY!), it helps you achieve your goals in anything, not just in sports. The Mental Management System is so breathtakingly helpful, it opened my eyes to a positive way to think and act; which then leads to a positive outcome. I am so grateful to Lanny and my coach.......This is a must have for everyone.
Steve
Great approach from sport to life. Hope it will be useful in my training and life goals.

Definitely will test it out for my next tournament and personal goals.

The main objective is to maintain positive and task oriented attitude. Might not be easy to implement right away but with some work could be very effective.

Ja
I enjoyed this book. This type of book is best when it is concise and he did a great job pulling it together in a mageable length. There are a lot of great tips and lessons here. Special thanks to Jackie Bruno for recommending it. I am using it to help me as I will run a half-marathon in New Bedford on 3/17/13.
Alex Fontanetta
Lanny Bassham discusses the other side of athletics: the non-physical, mental aspect. The book is concise and easy to read. He sticks to the application of key mental strategies while giving short examples to support his theories. It is a short, quick read, beneficial for both coaches and athletes.
Kris
Perhaps the best book I've ever read about how to improve performance, set a goal, and strenthen self-discipline. I read it for help with my tennis game and found that it's relevant for almost any pursuit.
Nick
This stuff really works. The book is so simply written as to be simple-minded, but the method really works. Try it. You'll see.
Brad Lasater
This book completely changed my whole outlook towards my archery 'career'. I have a new way to view success and accomplishments.!
Mark
Enjoyed this great book. Very practical and provided an actual system with which I can achieve my goals.
Carolyn Jussila
2nd time I've read it. Very useful info- highlights all over it.
Liza Marie
definite reread.
Vearl Tolbert
This book was good but not great. There were some practical applications for exactly how to write goals and key guidelines to keep in mind. It was nice to get perspective from an Olympian on keys to success and mental toughness.
Eugene
Good book; reminded me of some of Gellway's ideas. Got some good tips for affirmations and such. I cam see why this one is considered one of the cornerstones of sports psychology.
JDK1962
Good, although this first edition seems like it was probably self-published (not all that well copy-edited, confusion between "complement" and "compliment", etc.). Glad there were later revisions.

Will likely try out some of the techniques.

(Heard the author speak on the Trail Runner Nation podcast, and sought out the book on Interlibrary Loan.)
David Leavitt
A great book for any competitor in any field. Lanny is really concise, and is engaging at the same time. It has really changed my shooting.
Lindsay Calvert
A good, quick read on how to improve your mental discipline. I found several applications for marathon training and other facets of life.
Ron Carrier
I read this book because diagnostics we have run show that some of our language specialists suffer from unhelpful test anxiety, which results in inaccurate assessments of their foreign language proficiency. Bassham's book is based on his own experience of what mental management techniques have worked for him as an Olympic marksman. I would prefer to see something research based, and if anyone has suggestions on validated research on the subject I'd be very appreciative.
Phil Spitzer
Meh.

Not great writing.

Has some questionable advice like "don't focus on your mistakes" - I find that looking at mistakes is the only way I learn.

I liked what he had to say about self-image and confidence - intriguing stuff.
Rick Marcello
I have this book for the kindle and I thought it was great and to the point. With that being said, you can only get the best out of the book if you apply the techniques written.
Annemarie
Excelente libro. Recomendado para cualquiera que practique algún deporte y quiera mejorar su desempeño en relación con la parte psicológica.
Rolando Gill
Pretty basic stuff, the most enlightening idea for me was of the importance of self image. Other than that it was kind of a slow laborious read.
Veronica
The book started off well, I enjoyed the first half, but after that, it started to really drag and repeat.
Kent
An excellent book on mental preparation and mental focus when learning any desired skill or habit.
Kim
Sports psychology. Pretty good. I need to implement this in agility!
Marcie Davis
It is so like me to have read this book!
Simon Lee
This books is really great
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life from the Winner of The Apprentice
  • A Week in the Zone
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Navy SEAL Training Guide: Mental Toughness
  • The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive
  • The Breakthrough Company: How Everyday Companies Become Extraordinary Performers
  • Finding Your Zone: Ten Core Lessons for Achieving Peak Performance in Sports and Life
  • Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • The Confidence Gap
  • The Book on Leadership
  • The Art of Mental Training - A Guide to Performance Excellence
Freedom Flight

“A fact that is not so widely known is that ninety-five percent of all winning is accomplished by only five percent of the participants.” 0 likes
“Self-Image changes. Here is how to do it in four steps. First, you must be willing to change. Our Self-Image does not respond to the changes others want us to make. You must decide for yourself and you must choose to do it NOW. Second, you must identify specifically the habits and/or attitudes that you need to change. Be specific. For example; “I’m looking for a solution to worrying about shooting below my average” 0 likes