Start by marking “Secret Friends” as Want to Read:
Secret Friends

Secret Friends

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"It's crazy, starting at a new school. For days you feel so new and lost it's as if you've wandered into a foreign country where you can't speak the language."

This haunting story about Rafaella, the new girl at school who finds making friends hard, is a stunning piece of writing. With her strange name and sticking out ears she's different from the rest. Lucy is the first
Published April 23rd 1997 by Hachette Children's (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Friends, please sign up.

Pukingrainbows Yes she does, it's absolutely saddening! I cried aw ;__; Amazing book though ^__^

Nazrul
Jun 02, 2012 Nazrul rated it really liked it
We have been covering this book in Year 5, so I had to read through it in order to catch up. In all honesty, this is a pretty emotional story (and as an adult I felt taken aback).

The book started of well, with a good storyline. It is about a girl called Lucy and her 'secret' friend Rafaella. Rafaella was not very popular in school because she was deemed to be different. When Lucy met her for the first time, she called her 'earwig' because Rafaella had big ears.

As the story develops, they became
Karen Hammond
Feb 03, 2013 Karen Hammond rated it really liked it
The story is about Lucy and Rafaella and their changing friendship. Rafaella is a new starter to the secondary school and Lucy is a bit mean to her and calls her ‘earwig’, which is soon picked up by all the school bullies. Lucy soon regrets this name calling, but as she still wants to be with the ‘cool kids’ she continues to ignore Rafealla. This changes when they meet out of school and a friendship develops. However, Lucy keeps the friendship secret, which she comes to regret at the end of the ...more
Catherine McDonald
Secret Friends by Elizabeth Laird
This haunting story about Rafaella, the new girl at school who finds making friends hard, is a stunning piece of writing. With her strange name and sticking out ears she’s different from the rest. Lucy is the first to tease, the first to call her ‘Earwig’. Until a secret friendship starts, full of warmth and mystery.
Because this story starts on the first day of school, it could a nice book to use as a stimulus for creating guidelines for the class on what to do
Eloise baker
Sep 25, 2011 Eloise baker rated it liked it
Mina
Jun 15, 2015 Mina rated it really liked it
"Secret Friends" is a story centred around a young girl named Lucy who becomes friends with a newcomer called Rafaella but only outside of school. The two become friends very quickly and gradually Rafaella opens up her life to Lucy. However, at school Lucy was the first one to tease Rafaella about her large ears and called her 'Earwig'; a name that would lead to unbelievable consequences.

Tbis story is one that is touching, hard hitting and full of warmth. It is a fantastic link to PSHE linking i
Linda
May 30, 2012 Linda added it
remember that I started 30-5-2012 3pm and i think I am going to finish this book because the title is very attractive and I also feel like i am in love with the person who wrote this book, Elizabeth Laird, because i think (in my opinion) that she makes you feel like she takes you with her in every word in every sentence that she wrote in her books..... and so on, i think i want to finish this book because i feel that I HAVE to finish this book.
Fatima
Nov 20, 2011 Fatima rated it really liked it
i remeber my teacher in year 4 reading me this book, it was really good
i but it was with such a sad endingit's abut this girl called lucy whos new to the school, she wants to be popular, she befreinds a girl caled raefella, whos not pretty or popular, they secretly become friends, but raefella gets bullied alot for here ears, and is called earwig, so she considers surgery......
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Excellent story about a girl who is secretly friends with another girl in her school who is the victim of teasing. The tragic ending emphasizes the harm that teasing can do.
Terre
Jan 02, 2013 Terre rated it it was amazing
This short book would have been an awesome follow up to our read aloud of Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Unfortunately, stories such as Rafaella's are timely and timeless.
Mark Warner
Oct 22, 2011 Mark Warner rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books... covers lots of PSHE topics including friendship and bullying.
Bonnie_PAN_
Bonnie_PAN_ rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Samia Ali
Samia Ali rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Nunnanay
Nunnanay marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
James Wheeler
James Wheeler rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Diedra
Diedra marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
zehra
zehra rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2015
Eman
Eman marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Kelly Muscat
Kelly Muscat marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Yinx
Yinx marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Mano
Mano marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Caspar Poole
Caspar Poole marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Sep 11, 2015
Karen Davies
Karen Davies marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Kaze
Kaze rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Neymal Ronaldo
Neymal Ronaldo marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Reem Kamal
Reem Kamal marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even though
More about Elizabeth Laird...