Start by marking “The Choice” as Want to Read:
The Choice

The Choice

No one gets the inside story like Bob Woodward, the reporter of the Watergate scandal who has made a career of investigating -- and writing about -- the inner workings of the highest levels of government. In The Choice he has produced a look at the two candidates for the 1996 presidential race, Bill Clinton and Bob Dole, published before the two parties' political conventi ...more
Published December 31st 1996 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Choice

Kinksrock
Jul 13, 2016 Kinksrock rated it liked it
Good book that could have been great, but Woodward chose to end it way before the election of 1996 ended.
Jason Hojnacki
May 27, 2017 Jason Hojnacki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Although a little dated, I greatly enjoyed the book! The story flowed and it did not too bogged down in minutia. One area that made me sad was it appeared both Dole and Clinton were patriots, trying to do the right thing for the country. There are not many of those left in the country today!
Anna Ligtenberg
Jan 16, 2013 Anna Ligtenberg rated it really liked it
ISBN 0684813084 - Amidst my piles of current political books, there are many like The Choice: no longer current "current event" writings that might seem outdated but actually offer an interesting perspective on today's politics. As I read my way through them, I'm surprised to find that they're still enlightening, informative and entertaining.

In 1994, the campaign for the 1996 Presidential election began. Bill Clinton was pretty clearly the Democratic candidate, but the field was wide open in th
Sandra
Jan 09, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mymap
Strange, but when I was close to finishing this book I thought my review would be more negative but right towards the end I realized it was very insightful and I learned from it. I'm even thinking I would like to read more "political" books and also historical books on governments and how they are run and the people that run them.
Another odd insight is that parts of it in the beginning could have been written for the present time with the liberal vs. conservative battle that has been going on. M
Darren
Sep 17, 2012 Darren rated it liked it
I probably should have read the description a little better before picking this one up. I didn't realize until I was about three quarters of the way through the book that it was published before the election was held. I was hoping to read more about the general election.

The book was an interesting read but sort of dragged on with detailed stories of the power struggles that existed in both campaigns. I was sort of alarmed by how much influence Dick Morris had in the Clinton White House. I like
Jerry Landry
Interesting insight into the 1996 election. While always revolving around the two main candidates (Clinton and Dole), Woodward also provides insights into the other Republicans who threw their hats into the ring (Forbes, Buchanan, Alexander, Gramm, etc.) and some might have runs (Quayle, Powell, etc.). The section about Powell was the most interesting to me. Overall, though a little slow at parts and I wish it would've gone through election day instead of just to Dole's announcement that he was ...more
Eli
Sep 25, 2011 Eli added it
Woodward paints an intimate picture of the inner workings of an otherwise lackluster and boring 1996 presidential campaign. Clinton and team work on building a strong message but the weak challenge by the Dole/Kemp team, I think provided a true lack of foil in the story.
Jaime Hernandez
Apr 21, 2008 Jaime Hernandez rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
I read this before the 1996 election and in his detailed style, Woodward does a good job of describing the candidates and their styles. Ultimately, Clinton shames himself and the office with the Lewinsky scandal, which says something bigger about the results of "Choice."
John
Mar 20, 2008 John rated it liked it
If you like political inside stories, you'll like this book. It chronicles the 2 years preceding the 1996 presidential race between President Clinton and Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole. The author had access to all the key players so his views ring authentic.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
so far very informative and interesting... at least from a political junkie's perspective
David Rosage
Aug 03, 2009 David Rosage rated it it was ok
Listened to the book on tape on long trips.
Meredith
Oct 06, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Solid book, and it was really interesting to see the parallels between the 1996 election and the 2016 election, especially regarding the infighting among the Republicans.
Donna
Mar 11, 2013 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting
Jonathan
This made along quite nicely, but I've started and put down without finishing two other Woodward books. Unless he's writing with Carl Bernstein or about John Belushi, the man's a bore.
Ben
Apr 01, 2013 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good primer for the reelect.
Douglas Graney
Not bad, considering the foregone conclusion of that election.
Ben
Mar 23, 2016 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty unbelievable journalistic access from all parties in the 96 elections .. wonderful piece of history ... writing style was a bit halting
Jeff Noble
The Agenda: Inside the Clinton White House by Bob Woodward (?)
Stephen
Oct 22, 2016 Stephen rated it liked it
Bob Woodward's book on the 1996 Presidential campaign is a well written account of the ins and outs of a primary campaign. It follows both Bill Clinton and Bob Dole from the Dole's early discussions on running for President to his announcement on May 15, 1996 to resign from the Senate. Based on old-fashioned reporting and countless interviews, it's obviously a well-researched piece of work.

As with his later book Shadow, you definitely see Woodward's attachment to the Clintons. Bill is a caring,
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Steve Augustyn
Steve Augustyn rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Juan Frias
Juan Frias rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Miles Maftean
Miles Maftean rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2008
Dina
Dina rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2009
Lynette
Lynette rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Jim Allen
Jim Allen rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Tom Nicholson
Tom Nicholson rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2010
James Macgregor
James Macgregor rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Sue Burke
Sue Burke rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Ali.cheaib
Ali.cheaib rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
  • The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969.
  • The Making of the President 1968
  • The Haldeman Diaries
  • Bill Clinton: Mastering the Presidency
  • Memoirs, Vol 2: Years of Trial and Hope (Leaders of Our Times)
  • The Clinton Tapes: Wrestling History With the President
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • All Too Human
  • The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill
  • Confessions: An Innnocent Life in Communist China
  • The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House
  • Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)
  • Presidential Anecdotes
  • Blood Sport: The Truth Behind the Scandals in the Clinton White House
  • Franklin Pierce: New Hampshire's Favorite Son
  • Andrew Johnson: A Biography
  • Man of the House: The Life and Political Memoirs of Speaker Tip O'Neill .
  • Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon
Robert "Bob" Upshur Woodward is an assistant managing editor of The Washington Post. While an investigative reporter for that newspaper, Woodward, working with fellow reporter Carl Bernstein, helped uncover the Watergate scandal that led to U.S. President Richard Nixon's resignation. Woodward has written 12 best-selling non-fiction books and has twice contributed reporting to efforts that collecti ...more
More about Bob Woodward...