Start by marking “Blue-Eyed Devil: A Road Odyssey Through Islamic America” as Want to Read:
Blue-Eyed Devil: A Road Odyssey Through Islamic America

Blue-Eyed Devil: A Road Odyssey Through Islamic America

Cultural Writing. Biography and memoir. In his quest for an indigenous "American Islam," Michael Muhammad Knight embarked on a series of interstate odysseys. Traveling 20,000 miles by Greyhound in sixty days, he squatted in run-down mosques, was detained at the U.S.-Canadian border with a trunkload of Shi'a literature, crashed Islamic Society of North America conventions, ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Autonomedia

To ask other readers questions about Blue-Eyed Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue-Eyed Devil

patrick
Jul 07, 2008 patrick rated it it was amazing
A retired professor friend lent me this one - definitely an alternative book on Islam in America. This was a really fun read, I am planning on picking up more of Michael Knight's work in the near future.
Leah
Jan 04, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing
OK, Taquacores is kind of really bad and I regret telling my friend to read it. This, though? This is awesome. Funny, honest, tragic, risky, well-written, thoughtful, funny as fuck.
Madeline
Jun 21, 2017 Madeline rated it really liked it
this makes me want to learn more
Vika Gardner
Feb 08, 2010 Vika Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for everyone. It is Michael Muhammad Knight's narrative of his travels around the US (on a Greyhound pass), visiting a variety of Muslim communities (and his friends) around the country.

Knight doesn't pull any punches; he's a little at odds with Islam and one might readily understand this book as a conversation he's having with himself that he has allowed you to overhear. His interest in a variety of small American Muslim communities, like the 5 Percenters, the Moorish Science T
Jesse
Aug 04, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it
He has little discipline as a writer, but Knight goes anywhere with a latter-day Beat irreverence and a punk irreverence (combined, oddly, with some real reverence for things like Five Percenter doctrine that I find, well, nutty). There's a great 100-page section from about pages 50-140 where he goes looking for the identity of Wallace Fard, the founder of the Nation of Islam, and turns up enough secret histories to fill several Charles Portis novels. (I have a line like that in my Chron review, ...more
Matthew Moes
What happens to a dream deferred? I think maybe Michael Knight's "Road Odyssey through Islamic America" offers a glimpse... at least one vision. This book is obnoxious, offensive and worse, and yet, in spite of it all some readers will still identify while others will just be stupefied. Despite his irreverent attitude toward everything and everyone that most American Muslims hold sacred, this book might be one of the most important things I have read about so-called American Islam. If nothing el ...more
Tyler Anderson
Jul 26, 2009 Tyler Anderson rated it did not like it
I'm not certain what I'm finding more intolerable about this book, the incessant "term-dropping" or the constant references to the author's supposedly oh-so-punk-rock attitude and disrespect for everyone and everything. Reminds me why leeching Crust and Hippies are simply not welcome anywhere in my personal world.

Additionally, I find that his quest for an American Islam is backlit by his own indeed narrow American view of Islam to begin with. The Islam he chose as a young convert was only one c
Ellis Amdur
Jan 14, 2015 Ellis Amdur rated it really liked it
M.M.K. is a punk Sufi Muslim, at least at last reading, traveling through America by Greyhound Bus, searching down the history and grave of W.D. Fard, the mysterious founder of the Nation of Islam, "building" with the 5% group, distressing the progressives and raging at the rigid conservatives, all the while putting the moves on young ladies in Hijab. A former backyard "pro-wrestler," son of a schizophrenic rapist Nazi, he found Islam as a teen providing something sure and solid, but soon reject ...more
John
Oct 07, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, library_books
I read this one after his Journey to the End of Islam, and am glad I did so - the other seemed much more "approachable" to me, with this one filling in gaps in the story of Master Fard and the Five Percenters (an obsession of Knight's). These books can be difficult to follow at times, as he uses many Islamic terms (a glossary in the back of this book helps a bit), but he's obvious a bright guy with a lot to say; moreover, his sense of humor does come through amid all the religious talk.
Ronald
Sep 10, 2011 Ronald rated it really liked it
Thoroughly captivating, informative, radical read by Michael Knight! As he found his Islamic America by visiting all those areas where the American Muslim movement had major impact. Chicago, Detroit, parts of Cal. and Wash., all contained spots of import to those early leaders in the spread of Islam in the USA! Being a neophyte in the genre', I was fascinated by this wonderful book!
Andrew Ceyton
Jan 05, 2014 Andrew Ceyton rated it it was amazing
I love this guy. In some of his books, "Why I Am a Five Percenter", he is a serious scholar of Islam, both mainstream and fringe, while in others like this he personifies Modern Beat. As someone who practices a fringe non christian religion & in fact studied Five Percent, he's right on my wavelength.
Yasmin
Sep 13, 2012 Yasmin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me off-course of my intention of reading all of Knight's books. He devoted a lot of time to the mystery of W.D. Fard to the exclusion of other strains of American Islam, and there were things that he didn't explain that I wish he had. I finished it, some parts were better than others, and I will read other books by him, but maybe not all of them.
Martin
Nov 05, 2009 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While shockingly irreverent at times, Knight explores and reports on little-known aspects of Muslim life and history in America. His fresh and raw voice carries you through each station of his cross-country journey.
Michelle
Jan 16, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you would like an odyssey through Islamic America, check out the Encyclopedia of Muslim-American History. If you would like an odyssey through Mike Knight's love life and bodily functions, check out this book. Your call.
Zack
Jun 05, 2009 Zack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catch my review here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...

and my INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR here: http://www.dscriber.com/home/200-talk...
Hena
May 31, 2009 Hena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: people
Want to know who W.D. Fard was? Who the 'Progressive Muslims' are, or were? Then you might want to check this out.
Janie
Oct 29, 2013 Janie rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
this is some crazy stuff
Shazia
Jan 02, 2008 Shazia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Amanda R
So much interesting stuff if you can get over initial disgust of author.
Terri
Apr 17, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veramente un bell'intreccio. Fa venire voglia di scrivre, fotocopiare il libro e promuovberlo per il mondo camminando con una borsa sulle spalle.
Bob
Mar 18, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing
A great book chronicling MMK's sufi/Islamic hajj/yantra to uncover the myriad faces of indigenous American Islamic culture. Crass, rough, poignant, punk, personal, inspirational.
Theodora
Nov 25, 2008 Theodora rated it really liked it
Shelves: books08, islam
loved this book...especially what he wrote about Ashura and pain. Beautiful. a lot of MPU and Nation of Islam history in here, too.

Rob
Jan 03, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting, though when he discusses personal details, I'm left hoping for it to get even more personal (as if that were possible).
Malcolm Brown
Malcolm Brown rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Nabeela Rehman
Nabeela Rehman rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2008
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Ejaz Naqvi
Ejaz Naqvi rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Gradesky
Gradesky rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
May 15, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism
  • The Politics of the Veil
  • The Muslim Next Door: The Qurʼan, the Media, and That Veil Thing
  • My Year Inside Radical Islam: A Memoir
  • Early Islamic Mysticism: Sufi, Qur'an, Mi'raj, Poetic and Theological Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The American Religion
  • Ziarah Abadi - Javid Nama
  • Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World
  • Western Attitudes toward Death: From the Middle Ages to the Present
  • Holy Terrors: Thinking About Religion After September 11
  • Standing Alone in Mecca: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam
  • The End of White World Supremacy: Four Speeches By Malcolm X
  • The Muslim Jesus: Sayings and Stories in Islamic Literature
  • Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity
  • The Islamist Phoenix: The Islamic State (ISIS) and the Redrawing of the Middle East
Michael Muhammad Knight (born 1977) is an American novelist, essayist, and journalist. His writings are popular among American Muslim youth. The San Francisco Chronicle described him as "one of the most necessary and, paradoxically enough, hopeful writers of Barack Obama's America," while The Guardian has described him as "the Hunter S. Thompson of Islamic literature," and his non-fiction work exe ...more
More about Michael Muhammad Knight...