Start by marking “Star Rider” as Want to Read:
Star Rider

Star Rider

Jaks claim humans as their ancestors, but have developed, along with their mounts, the power to jump through dimensions and kip across the spaces between the stars. There are other inhabitants of the galaxy and they have their eyes on one young jak: the dreens want to imprison her in motherhood, the varks grin and stay inscrutable. But Jade of the Galaxy has a razor sharp ...more
Paperback , 220 pages
Published March 1974 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Rider

Raj
Oct 17, 2014 Raj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the story of Jade of the Galaxy. Jade is a jak, a distant descendent of Humanity who can skip between the stars with her mount. Jade is young, but a chance encounter leads her to the mythical planet of Doubleluck, which all the jaks in the galaxy are looking for and that sets her and her mount, Hinx, off on a series of adventures and reveal just how special that Jade is.

I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book to start with. It throws you in at the deep end, with lots of jargon,
King_In_Yellow
Sep 25, 2015 King_In_Yellow rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this more than I did. The far-future world of the book, where advanced humans zoom through dimensional space on creatures descended from dogs, is fascinating and bizarre and Piserchia succeeds in selling it by not over-explaining anything, no matter how strange.
The result has that dream-like, surreal future-shock feeling that makes great Sci-Fi.

Where it all goes wrong is in the plotting. This might have done better as a couple of shorter pieces, because as it is the plot
Mark
Feb 29, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
An odd bit from the tail end of New Wave, it's rather like a wild, SFnal version of "On The Road"---Piserchia wrote in a vivid stream-of-consciousness style that clung lightly to the kind of mimetic realism that usually defines science fiction. It chronicles a stage in the evolution of the human species at the end of a long period during which humans have lost much of their dependence on material artifacts. The jaks can "jink" and "skip"---telepathically divine their surroundings, communicate wi ...more
Craig
Oct 24, 2007 Craig rated it really liked it
Piserchia's second novel was an excellent science fiction adventure that was far ahead of its time. The setting, style, and viewpoint were all against the grain of novels contemporary with it, yet it was a very satisfying read. It was a part of Frederik Pohl's excellent editorial program at Bantam.
Bhakta Jim
Apr 12, 2012 Bhakta Jim rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one, and read it more than once. The setting is the far future where humans have evolved into creatures called Jaks that can travel between the stars on "mounts", which are intelligent animals. There is a legend of a place called Doubleluck that many are searching for, and a lot of other stuff is going on too. I haven't read this for over thirty years, but I probably should find my copy and read it again. No doubt I'd understand parts of the story that were mysterious when I ...more
Colin
Jan 07, 2015 Colin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Took a long time to get going - for the first half of the book it didn't seem quite sure what it was. The characters are pretty two-dimensional, and long dialogue got confused - without a distinct voice for any of them, it's hard to tell who's talking.

The parallels with contemporary (70s) culture are sledgehammer-subtle, and a bit preachy.
Justin Howe
Jun 25, 2015 Justin Howe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loopy 70s SF that was awesome and silly. Reminded me of the more optimistic Tiptree stuff like The Starry Rift, and also a bit of Bester and Hoban.

I recommend it.
Andy Tischaefer
Jun 14, 2014 Andy Tischaefer rated it it was ok
Can't remember what directed me to this one. It is...odd. Kind of plotless, up until the point where it is largely plot driven. Absolutely a product of its time (late 70's). Meandering story with some beautiful thoughts in it but it never added up to something I loved. There were parts of it that I really liked where I said to myself "well, now this is going somewhere". and then it didn't go anywhere.

Ok, what's it about? The main character is a "jak", unnamed (at least until later). Jaks roam th
Lord Humungus
Jul 11, 2014 Lord Humungus rated it it was ok
I think the beginning premise for the character and universe is pretty unique and interesting, definitely something I hadn't read before.

I felt the overall story wasn't particularly strong or engaging. The book is written in the voice of what is an essentially adolescent space/dimension traveler, which is amusing at times, but also perhaps why the story didn't feel as compelling. It was a quick read and because it had some cool ideas I might check out more work by this author.

I loved the old sch
Kendra
May 27, 2009 Kendra rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Old Sci-Fi book I found at a used book store. Always fun reading sci-fi before my time, as it was more sci-fi, less fantasy. This was an after-earth type book with the main character and others like her who could travel the stars with a horse/dog type animal, by forming an air bubble around them and moving to wherever they wanted to go. In this case they were looking for an "El Dorado" type home.

Fun, quick read.
Chris
Jan 28, 2017 Chris rated it it was ok
I read this book because someone had recommended it as a really bizarre science fiction story, and yeah, it's bizarre, but it's also got a kind of rambling, crazy, all-directions-at-once style of narration that draws out the sort of short plot in long, dull, and unfollowable passages. There are some cool ideas in the book, but they're sort of lost among all the babbling.
Lori Womack
May 14, 2013 Lori Womack rated it it was amazing
Don't ask me why, but this is probably my favorite book. I have had the same copy since around 1985 and have read it over and over. There is just something about it. Maybe because Jade is head strong and never follows the rules and always does exactly the opposite of what she is told to do (I was like that at her age also).
Gejanne
May 08, 2012 Gejanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry, but I really do have to comment on the illustration on the cover of the book! Seriously... the illustrator has NOT read the book! And the image on the cover was constantly blurring my image of Jade and Hinx...
But I must admit, I really don't like sci-fi, but I did like this book... =D
Mely
Nov 14, 2014 Mely added it
Initially energetic and surreal, but so disjointed in the second half that it loses most of the energy. Possibly more like R.A. Lafferty's weird tall tale surrealism than anything else, though not so strongly plotted.
Patrick Scheele
Dec 16, 2016 Patrick Scheele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, box-1
Didn't read much, but what I did read was too weird, had no plot and had nothing to do with SF. Apart from being set in space.
Shipwreck1969
Apr 22, 2014 Shipwreck1969 rated it really liked it
Great, unusual approach to science fiction. The Earth is long dead, and humans are something else entirely. A different kind of novel. Stunning in its originality.
Bill Kte'pi
May 05, 2014 Bill Kte'pi rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-curriculum
Wild, original, fun, and I have no idea why I'd never heard of it before.
Kristen
May 28, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Odd, surreal, but strangely preachy in the second half.
Ian
Oct 07, 2013 Ian rated it it was ok
Reviewed on SF Mistressworks: http://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com/...
Dana Claycomb
Apr 14, 2016 Dana Claycomb rated it really liked it
Otherworldly melodrama from my favorite west Virginia sci fi writing housewife.
L.T. Brooks
Mar 05, 2012 L.T. Brooks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
This has to be one of my all-time favorite sci/fi books.
John
Mar 30, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-read-again
Really strange, but a lot of fun.
Eldorankin
Eldorankin rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2015
Scott Nieradka
Scott Nieradka rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Deb Drowne agro-siggins
Deb Drowne agro-siggins rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2013
Wes
Wes rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Glenn Hopper
Glenn Hopper rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2010
Ira White
Ira White rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Koenraad
Koenraad rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

“There I lay with my belly to the sky and with the rain soaking into me like I was a desert.” 0 likes