Start by marking “Star Rider” as Want to Read:
Star Rider

Star Rider

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Jaks claim humans as their ancestors, but have developed, along with their mounts, the power to jump through dimensions and kip across the spaces between the stars. There are other inhabitants of the galaxy and they have their eyes on one young jak: the dreens want to imprison her in motherhood, the varks grin and stay inscrutable. But Jade of the Galaxy has a razor sharp...more
Paperback , 220 pages
Published March 1974 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Star Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Rider

Raj
This is the story of Jade of the Galaxy. Jade is a jak, a distant descendent of Humanity who can skip between the stars with her mount. Jade is young, but a chance encounter leads her to the mythical planet of Doubleluck, which all the jaks in the galaxy are looking for and that sets her and her mount, Hinx, off on a series of adventures and reveal just how special that Jade is.

I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book to start with. It throws you in at the deep end, with lots of jargon,...more
Andy Tischaefer
Can't remember what directed me to this one. It is...odd. Kind of plotless, up until the point where it is largely plot driven. Absolutely a product of its time (late 70's). Meandering story with some beautiful thoughts in it but it never added up to something I loved. There were parts of it that I really liked where I said to myself "well, now this is going somewhere". and then it didn't go anywhere.

Ok, what's it about? The main character is a "jak", unnamed (at least until later). Jaks roam th...more
Craig
Piserchia's second novel was an excellent science fiction adventure that was far ahead of its time. The setting, style, and viewpoint were all against the grain of novels contemporary with it, yet it was a very satisfying read. It was a part of Frederik Pohl's excellent editorial program at Bantam.
Lord Humungus
I think the beginning premise for the character and universe is pretty unique and interesting, definitely something I hadn't read before.

I felt the overall story wasn't particularly strong or engaging. The book is written in the voice of what is an essentially adolescent space/dimension traveler, which is amusing at times, but also perhaps why the story didn't feel as compelling. It was a quick read and because it had some cool ideas I might check out more work by this author.

I loved the old sch...more
Mark
An odd bit from the tail end of New Wave, it's rather like a wild, SFnal version of "On The Road"---Piserchia wrote in a vivid stream-of-consciousness style that clung lightly to the kind of mimetic realism that usually defines science fiction. It chronicles a stage in the evolution of the human species at the end of a long period during which humans have lost much of their dependence on material artifacts. The jaks can "jink" and "skip"---telepathically divine their surroundings, communicate wi...more
Bhakta Jim
I really liked this one, and read it more than once. The setting is the far future where humans have evolved into creatures called Jaks that can travel between the stars on "mounts", which are intelligent animals. There is a legend of a place called Doubleluck that many are searching for, and a lot of other stuff is going on too. I haven't read this for over thirty years, but I probably should find my copy and read it again. No doubt I'd understand parts of the story that were mysterious when I...more
John Wregglesworth
Really strange, but a lot of fun.
Bill Kte'pi
Wild, original, fun, and I have no idea why I'd never heard of it before.
Kendra
Old Sci-Fi book I found at a used book store. Always fun reading sci-fi before my time, as it was more sci-fi, less fantasy. This was an after-earth type book with the main character and others like her who could travel the stars with a horse/dog type animal, by forming an air bubble around them and moving to wherever they wanted to go. In this case they were looking for an "El Dorado" type home.

Fun, quick read.
Lori Womack
Don't ask me why, but this is probably my favorite book. I have had the same copy since around 1985 and have read it over and over. There is just something about it. Maybe because Jade is head strong and never follows the rules and always does exactly the opposite of what she is told to do (I was like that at her age also).
Gejanne
I'm sorry, but I really do have to comment on the illustration on the cover of the book! Seriously... the illustrator has NOT read the book! And the image on the cover was constantly blurring my image of Jade and Hinx...
But I must admit, I really don't like sci-fi, but I did like this book... =D
Shipwreck1969
Great, unusual approach to science fiction. The Earth is long dead, and humans are something else entirely. A different kind of novel. Stunning in its originality.
Salla
Currently re-reading after nearly 20 years. Still a fun story!
L.T. Brooks
Mar 05, 2012 L.T. Brooks rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All
This has to be one of my all-time favorite sci/fi books.
Aurora Springer
Aurora Springer marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Andrew Carpenter
Andrew Carpenter marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Aron
Aron is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Gunnar Bangsmoen
Gunnar Bangsmoen marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Twl Newtown
Twl Newtown marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Kristen Westfall
Kristen Westfall marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Serenity Breaux
Serenity Breaux marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Nik
Nik marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Spaceling Earthchild A Billion Days of Earth The Spinner The Dimensioneers

“There I lay with my belly to the sky and with the rain soaking into me like I was a desert.” 0 likes