Start by marking “Together Apart” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,900 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
When Adam proposes to Sarah, the last thing he expects is to be single and heartbroken less than forty-eight hours later. But Sarah has a secret - and she's willing to sacrifice everything to keep it.

Going through a break-up is hard enough but having to live together afterwards is even worse, especially when it's a break-up neither person wants. For Adam, there are only t
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 189 pages
Published June 23rd 2015 by Natalie Martin (first published May 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Together Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Together Apart

Elaine
May 22, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
Adam and Sarah are in love. They have just moved in together and are now on a relaxing foreign holiday, enjoying each other’s company. Everything looks perfect until Adam proposes and Sarah immediately turns him down and ends the relationship there and then without any explanations. Unfortunately they cannot afford to separate yet. They have only just moved and haven’t arrived at the break clause date in their lease yet so for the next few weeks we follow them tip toeing around each other, Adam ...more
Natalie K. Martin
Mar 13, 2014 Natalie K. Martin added it  ·  (Review from the author)
HARPERCOLLINS AUTHONOMY EDITOR REVIEW:

Together Apart

I was hooked from page one of this manuscript. It is really refreshing to read mass-market women’s fiction with a distinctly intelligent edge. The manuscript rang true as a depiction of modern British twenty-somethings - it wasn’t forced, it wasn’t contrived, it just felt genuine. Even better, both of the lead characters, male and female, were equally well realised. It was the particularly convincing male character in Adam, from a female writer
Jemma
May 31, 2015 Jemma rated it liked it

‘Together Apart’ was a really original concept for a book and I felt it was well executed for what it was. It was actually more light-hearted than I was anticipating but heartfelt and profound moments were littered in the most unexpected places.

It all begins when Adam proposes to Sarah during their romantic getaway together. The scenery is stunning, the mood is perfect; nothing could go wrong. Until she says no. Unsurprisingly, Adam is heartbroken and, later, angry. He’s been given no answers a
Connie
Aug 01, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it
Source: I downloaded this book via Kindle Unlimited.
Cost: Free

Title: Together Apart
Author: Natalie K. Martin
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Overall Rating: 4 stars

Together Apart was one of those books I downloaded on a whim, the cover was cute but I didn't actually expect to like it. It was probably going to be cheesy...

But how wrong was I? I actually ended up really enjoying following our two main characters as they tackled their breakup in their own way. Adam resorted to drinking and
Susan
Feb 28, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed TOGETHER APART by Natalie K Martin. It is hard for me to believe it is a debut novel. She really made me feel all of Adam's frustrations and his heartbreak. At times I just wanted to shake him and tell him to move on and at other times I just wanted to reach in to the pages and give him a big hug. For being only a little less than two hundred pages, TOGETHER APART really pulls you in and has you flipping the pages quickly to see what is going to happen next. Natalie K. Martin's ...more
Caroline Batten
Mar 10, 2014 Caroline Batten rated it it was amazing
I utterly LOVE this book. It's up there with One Day for managing to get both the male and female perspectives bang on the money.

It's so refreshing to get a raw, honest male POV from a female author. And omg, do I love Adam. *sigh* He's like Mr Ordinary, but just lovely with it . The kind of guy you see your friends go out with but never manage to bag for yourself.

This is quality contemp romance - heart-wrenching, but not melodramatic, smile-inducing, but not cringeworthy.

Def worth a read!
Sue1958

This starts off with Sarah and Adam taking a holiday abroad. Everything on the surface seems good, they are in love, they live together, nothing can go wrong, right?
.....

Not the case. Adam proposes marriage to Sarah and Sarah turns him down. No explanation, nothing.

The trouble is, they can't afford to separate due to finances.

We see them walking on egg shells around each other, trying not to get in each others way, each with their own personal innermost feelings locked inside each other.

We late
Honeypie
Jul 11, 2014 Honeypie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is one of the few instances where the blurb is the book. Go figure.

Anyway, I enjoyed this. It was a little lengthy and tended to go back to "square one" at times, but I had fun reading it.

The characters were also easy to like, but not puppet-like. They're not good and perfect, but were fun to read about. This didn't have too much angst, and "emotional emotions". It was quite light to read.

This is NM's first novel, and I don't mind reading more of her works. But maybe with less typographical
Lesley
Jul 14, 2015 Lesley rated it it was ok
no big secret reveal, knew what was coming. and really her reasons just didn't fit well if it was a good relationship. I didn't hate the story but was not impressed.
Bex (Night Owl Reader)
Sep 02, 2015 Bex (Night Owl Reader) rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Together Apart by Natalie Martin is a realistic portrayal of love, relationships, and the affects of a breakup. It is realistic, raw, and full of tension. The dual point-of-view works well, and gives you a glimpse into the mind of an ordinary guy in love with a woman who is leading a double life. While there is a suspense element to the story, I f
Judy Collins
Natalie K. Martin, delivers her debut, TOGETHER APART, a contemporary chick-lit love story-- when the past collides with the present, for a heart-breaking story of modern relationships, miscommunication, and secrets.

Adam and Sarah are living together, and in love. Except Sarah has a dark past and she is not sharing it with Adam. All is well until Adam, the young real estate professional proposes. Sarah turns down the proposal. She keeps those close to her at arm’s length. She is not ready to s
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Mar 19, 2014 BooksandBeyondFiftyShades rated it it was amazing
Natalie Martin
Natalie Martin is a new author with a huge potential to make it to the NY Best Sellers List!! This amazing book teaches you that no matter how dark and horrific your secret is always good to shared it with the person you love.

She takes you to those places in life where you weight in all your decision and makes you think if you had always done the right thing!!! I had never had a book stir so many emotions while I was reading it!!!

Meet Sara a quiet, shy, young lady with a passion
Feb 28, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it was a little annoying to read. I did guess part of Sarah's secret pretty early on, but not the devastating reason she couldn't share it with anyone. I think her reaction was actually pretty understandable in many ways. Something like this is not something you just move past without consequence.

Anyway, the book feels like it was written ten or more years ago. No mention of today's technology that has become commonplace. Yet at the end of the version I read, there is an
Brooke Harris
Mar 10, 2014 Brooke Harris rated it it was amazing
Do you ever finish a book and you're just not sure you can write a review to do it justice? Together Apart is comtemp romance with a modern shake up and I loved every page.

Well for one thing there's a very convincing Male POV written by a female author. Impressive stuff, Miss Martin. Adam is fabulous, he's a true romantic and I was rooting for him from the very start. Now, okay let's be realistic, he's human not a saint...so when his world comes crashing down he goes a little off the rails. But
Melek
Jun 11, 2015 Melek rated it did not like it
The blurb was way better than the book itself. I was interested after reading the blurb, which is why I downloaded it, but *dreams crushed*.

For one thing, all the characters in the book are either annoying or insignificant, without exception. I hated Sarah and her diaries, I was bored of Adam and his POV, the rest of the crew might as well haven't existed at all.

For another, the book was boring altogether. I only read to learn the oh-so-important secret and experienced another *dreams crushed*.
Ian Ellis
Apr 24, 2014 Ian Ellis rated it really liked it
When Adam asks his girlfriend a particular question, the response he gets is not the one he was expecting. Why Sarah reacted the way she did is a mystery to him, but is hinted at through the excerpts from Sarah's diary, which are interwoven with the story told from Adam's point of view. Natalie Martin expertly uses Sarah's diary to give us her internal thoughts from the present, as well as her past, so by the end we can sympathise and understand her behaviour.

Any men who may be put off because t
Babus Ahmed
Sep 15, 2015 Babus Ahmed rated it really liked it
When Adam proposes to Sarah in Santorini, he never thought it would lead to the end of their relationship, but Sarah terminates their relationship leaving Adam with the realisation that he really didn't know much about her at all. Sarah has hidden her sister and her past,which is so traumatic for her that she cannot bring herself to talk about it. However, with recent stresses Sarah starts to become unravelled and Adam starts to learn about her past from her old diaries.

A compelling read which
Denise
Aug 10, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Together Apart for me was a great read mainly because of the brilliant and vivid writing which I thoroughly enjoyed from page one. The story-line was intriguing and kept me entertained, some of the story was rather predictable but yet there was quite a bit of suspense throughout.
The characters were easy to identify with, even though their lifestyles were nothing like my own, which again is a good reflection of the writers ability to draw you into the story.
I enjoyed Natalie Martin's style of wri
Sammy Dawes
I wouldn't say this was my favourite book of all time but it was definitely enjoyable and kept me interested. For me the ending was a little a bit blasé, I think I just wanted something mega to happen! But all in all a great book to add to the list to read
Samantha Clysdale
May 17, 2015 Samantha Clysdale rated it did not like it
I got this book from Netgalley.

I really dislike the book. I thought it would get better but it didn't. I really didn't like Sarah. I found her robot like.
Win
Mar 15, 2014 Win rated it it was amazing
excellent book, once you start reading, you can't put it down. You get easily drawn into the characters and even talk back to them. loved the book! Will there be a sequel I wonder??
Carrie Clem
Jul 05, 2015 Carrie Clem rated it it was amazing
Loved

This book was a great read. Definitely a warm tender loving happily ever after kind of book. Definitely a must read.
rebecca levine
Jun 26, 2015 rebecca levine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WHO CUT THE CORD ON JACK?

WHAT COMPLETE RUBBISH. SORRY I WASTED MY TIME ON THIS CRAP. COMPLETELY STUPID. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. POOR POOR ADAM.
theresa elkins
A bit slow

It was an ok story, silly abrupt ending, and a bit predictable, however an ok read for an afternoon chill
Victoria Kettlewell
An easy read

Quite slow to start, an easy read to follow. Still get pulled in to the Tory NY wondering what the secret is. Nothing comes as a big surprise though
Kate Weiler
Oct 15, 2016 Kate Weiler rated it liked it
Well written but I just couldn't give this any more stars. What a depressing read!
Ashley
Jun 08, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Let me be completely honest with you - I'm still not sure what I 'feel' about this novel. I enjoyed it - almost immensely - but what do you do when you really just HATE the actions and thoughts of one character? TOGETHER APART by Natalie Martin provides an excellent summer read about long lost secrets that can't stay buried.

RELEASE DATE: February 2014

PUBLISHER: Lake Union Publishing

DISCLAIMER: Novel sent via NetGallery in exchange for a honest review

SYNOPSIS: When Adam proposes to Sarah, the la
T
Oct 02, 2016 T rated it did not like it
Maybe 1.5.
Could have been an interesting plot,
but actually boring, dragged out intro with lots of unrelated and unnecessary side plots (left unresolved) then a very quick resolution 3/4 page with no emotional exploration or real discussion. Lacked depth & felt unrealistic.
Shelley
Jun 12, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
How difficult would it be to live with someone that you’ve just broken up with? This is exactly what happens to Adam and Sarah. They should have been celebrating their engagement, instead they are both broken-hearted and trying to figure out how to navigate through their lives while they are still living together.

Together Apart is a well written story that exudes emotion on every page. Sarah and Adam were happy, they were in love, their life together seemed ideal. With Adam’s impromptu marriage
Kaitlin
Jun 17, 2015 Kaitlin rated it liked it
It's easy to get roped into a book promising a "big secret." I think it's an easy way to keep the reader engaged, much like a mystery. But then also with an entire book to build it up - it better be worth it. I flew through the pages, but when it came time for the big reveal - which was about 90%+ into the book, I found myself disappointed. I felt there should have been more to it. We all have pasts we don't like, yes, Sarah's was a bit more troubling than most, but I found her obnoxious overall ...more
  • Shoveling Snow
  • The Sound of Crickets
  • Your Eyes Don't Lie
  • Dying Words (A Ghostwriter Mystery #4)
  • The Back-Up Plan
  • Simon's Choice
  • The Language of Sparrows
  • Sleeping with the Enemy (Jackson Falls, #2)
  • Frost Hollow Hall
  • The Highland Twins at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #18)
  • A Horse Called September
  • Last Chance Summer (Last Chance, #5.5)
  • Lady of Heaven
  • Fat Vampire Big Fat Box Set (The entire 6-book series)
  • Falling For Rain
  • Beginning Again
  • Towers (The World Between, #1)
  • Sealing The Deal (How To Catch A Billionaire, #3)
7320864
In January 2014, Sheffield-born Natalie Martin decided to leave her corporate job in London and experience the world—heading off on travels that would take her as far as Cambodia, North India, Goa and Thailand, and would change her outlook on life for good. Whilst travelling in India, her debut novel, Together Apart, became a #1 bestseller on Amazon charts. Love You Better is her second ...more
More about Natalie K. Martin...

“Maybe it was the alcohol. Yeah. That’s probably what it was. The booze must have mixed with the romance in the air and turned him soft. But then, if that’s all it was, why did his stomach sink to the floor at her reaction? Did he really want to marry her? He looked” 1 likes
“He loved her, and he knew she loved him back. As far as he was concerned, that had to be worth fighting for.” 0 likes