Start by marking “Strands of Gold” as Want to Read:
Strands of Gold

Strands of Gold

STRANDS OF GOLD

By Helen Spring

Set at the turn of the century against a backcloth which ranges from the stifling conformity of colonial Singapore to the blistering heat of the Australian outback, 'Strands of Gold' charts the struggle of Lucy Rowlands to escape from the brutality of a loveless marriage and create a new identity.

Returning to Singapore to discover poverty and
Published October 10th 2011 by Helen Spring (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Strands of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strands of Gold

Judith Arnopp
Jan 06, 2011 Judith Arnopp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strands Of Gold takes the reader from the shores of England to colonial Singapore and on to the gold fields of Kalgoorlie in Australia.
Lucy Rowland’s childhood comes to an abrupt end when she returns home from England to Singapore to find her father and her childhood home at risk of financial ruin. Although on the verge of losing her heart to Greg Lamont she is coerced instead into marriage with the rich and powerful Sir Gilbert Howell. Lucy withstands the brutality of marriage to Gilbert until
Allyson Abbott
May 21, 2015 Allyson Abbott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-pleasure
A lovely romance story that allows the reader to understand the strong and enduring nature of Lucy, while others only see the outer shell. Set in Singapore and Australia, Lucy takes on beatings, hardships and new adventures while trying to save herself and other family members and friends. Her strength is her ability to find friends and her longing for the man with the grey eyes.
Nicely written with some great characters and descriptive scenery and it keeps you hooked to the end.
Mik Hetu
Mar 16, 2015 Mik Hetu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found only two faults with this book, neither of which should dissuade you from getting and enjoying it. After the first several chapters there are some (ebook) formatting errors, and I noticed a number of sentences that made me think, “I would have punctuated this differently.” But neither problem is a critical detraction from the overall quality of the book.

I found myself reading it way past my bedtime and then going right back to it with my morning coffee. Pretty quickly I realized that the
Mary Rader
Mary Rader rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Frederick Galvin
Frederick Galvin rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
lynda cock
lynda cock rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Joseph and Sheila Clarke
Joseph and Sheila Clarke rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Helen Spring
Jun 16, 2012 Helen Spring rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Mott
Nathan Mott rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Mrs P A Riley
Mrs P A Riley rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Karen Hedrick
Karen Hedrick rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Joan Burton
Joan Burton rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
joan moore
joan moore rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Margaret Stephen
Margaret Stephen rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Krystal
Krystal rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Hope Brey
Hope Brey rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Misfit
Misfit added it
Feb 23, 2014
S.M. Spencer
S.M. Spencer marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Kathy Heare Watts
Kathy Heare Watts marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
A.J. Sendall
A.J. Sendall marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Jennifer Morgan
Jennifer Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
ian wardle
ian wardle is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
jin
jin is currently reading it
May 13, 2016