Start by marking “Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014” as Want to Read:
Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014

Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014

Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, April-May 2014, Volume 38, No. 4-5 (#459-460)
Sheila Williams, editor

Short Stories
"Scout" by Will McIntosh
"L
Published February 21st 2014 by Dell Magazines

To ask other readers questions about Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014

Soh Kam Yung
Apr 30, 2014 Soh Kam Yung rated it liked it
An average issue, with a few more interesting stories by William Preston, Fran Wilde, Michael Swanwick and Matthew Johnson.

- "Each in His Prison, Thinking of the Key" by William Preston: another story in Preston's "The Old Man" series. This one is of an unusual interrogator who, in flashbacks, tells the story of how he interacted with The Old Man while he was a prisoner, and his attempts to get in touch with him now during a period of unusual disasters all around the US.

- "Scout" by Will McIntos
Daniel
May 16, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it
I didn't consider any of the stories to be duds in this issue, though a few were average without making any significant impression. "Rules of Engagement" surprised me in that I typically do not care much for stories involving military themes or issues, but I guess this story's connection to larger issues and ones of immediate relevance like drones and foreseeable technology had me hooked - not to mention the writing. Swanwick's "Of Finest Scarlet Was Her Gown" was enjoyable despite being ...more
G33z3r
Mar 02, 2014 G33z3r rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, periodical
I especially enjoyed the featured novella, "Each in His Prison, Thinking of the Key," sort of a takeoff on Doc Savage, Man of Bronze, updated for the 21st century.

My enjoyment of "Rules of Engagement" was slightly spoiled by my general dislike of stories about unlikable people, though I did find it an interesting story.

"Someday" seemed a little slow, but redeemed itself with and intriguing ending. "Scout" and "Like a Wasp to the Tongue" were okay.

"Slowly Upward, the Coelacanth", "The Talking Cur
Nathan
Jul 08, 2014 Nathan rated it it was ok
Frankly, I feel the double issues are a bit too much all at once. Maybe next time I'll read it in two halves.
The stories this time around weren't the best, I think. Neither novella was that great, and the first (Each In His Prison, Thinking Of The Key) was part of a series that, if you haven't read the earlier ones, makes you feel like you're missing something.
A few of the short stories were quite good though, especially The Talking Cure and Of Finest Scarlet Was Her Gown.
Denise Barney
Apr 12, 2014 Denise Barney rated it liked it
The stories were well-written, but the tone if the issue overall was very somber, even dark at times. Little science, a lot of internal musing & discovery. My favorites were "The talking Cure," where an old man reconcikes two contradictory fhildhood memories and "The Principles," an alternate history novelette, Coming-of-Age story. The poetry, hiwever, was outstanding!
Eric Fritz
Slowly Upward, the Coelacanth and Of Finest Scarlet Was Her Gown were my favorites from this issue (although the later was more fantasy than Sci Fi.) There were a few mediocre stories at the end that didn't seem to have any Sci Fi element at all.
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Ken Kutzler
Ken Kutzler rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Username
Username rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
George Heintzelman
Jul 10, 2016 George Heintzelman rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Pretty solid overall but I didn't like the Prestin novella.
Scott Klobas
Scott Klobas rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Andrew MacPherson
Andrew MacPherson rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Steelbound
Steelbound rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Deb Wilson
Deb Wilson rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Christopher Lake
Christopher Lake rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Piet
Piet rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Deborah Replogle
Deborah Replogle rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Karl Forlev
Karl Forlev rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Mark Catalfano
Mark Catalfano rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2014
Adriel
Adriel rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Y.X. Acs
Y.X. Acs rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Adriene
Adriene rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Fran
Dec 16, 2014 Fran added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Besha
Besha added it
Mar 09, 2014
Nare
Nare added it
May 28, 2014
John M.
John M. marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Rabihan Arabaci
Rabihan Arabaci marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Ardi
Ardi added it
Dec 22, 2014
Lloyd
Lloyd added it
Apr 10, 2015
Hamed Safamansouri
Hamed Safamansouri marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016

Sheila Williams is the editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine. She is also the recipient of the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Editor, Short Form.

Sheila grew up in a family of five in western Massachusetts. Her mother had a master's degree in microbiology. Ms. Williams’ inte
More about Sheila Williams...