Start by marking “Nothing to See Here Folks” as Want to Read:
Nothing to See Here Folks

Nothing to See Here Folks

Nope. Naw. Nyet. No way, Jose'

Please go to the new and full edition of The Phoenix Cycle: Would You?

This is a short and dirty edition that was released many years ago for a project.

The new, full, and professional edition is far more pleasing.
Published (first published December 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing to See Here Folks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing to See Here Folks

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Dear Robert Edward,
I began this story hoping to be entertained. I did not expect to be drawn into this story so hard. I want MORE!!! Please get you some noodles and bacon and write some more about this story.
Leslie is a hoochie and I'm so furious at her. I NEED to know more about the Phoenix Cycle.
Shelby
Ben Babcock
So, it’s the future, and on your 18th “cycle” you can apply to ascend into the upper echelons of society, where you will no longer labour in an ash-filled purgatory of dreary hopelessness.

Why? This is a good question. The Phoenix Cycle doesn’t specify, so for all we know, the mysterious General does it for the lulz.

Last month I received a message from Robert Edward asking me to read his story. As far as I can understand, it is the introductory story to a longer (uncompleted) work Edward has begu
Rick
I like the overall dystopian concept well enough in this teaser but there were a few stumbles that brought it down a bit. I suppose it is a trope that on the 18th birthday young people undergo some sort of trial or selection, this story had what seemed to be a bit of a twist on that (which I don't want to give away). The initial passages seemed a bit disjointed to me as I tried to follow along but it got better. Towards the end it was implied that a character's mother left them at age 18 and the ...more
Zarah
Apr 28, 2014 Zarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a2r-done
Would someone tell what the heck I just read, because I sure don't know. It's set in some mysterious dystopian future (no cause of the decline of civilisation is provided) and predominantly focuses on a mysterious character named Steve (no defining characteristics are provided) and his even more mysterious girlfriend, Leslie. So, essentially an unknown man, in an unknown future, fights some unknown social oppression, comes to some unknown decision, which then lead to some unknown consequences. ...more
Karen
Mar 23, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the interest of full disclosure I won this story in a draw on another site. The author wanted to know why I wanted to enter the draw and yes, I'm sure he was hoping I would like the book. Ok so now that that's out of the way.

The Phoenix Cycle: Would You? was a step outside of the box read for me, I like to do that every once in awhile read something that isn't really the norm for me. Also this was a nice chance to check out a new author. This is a short story set in what for me felt like a po
Jamie
Mar 01, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read, dystopian, 2014
Okay, well first of all let me state that this book was very very Amazing! And anytime I use the double very followed by an amazing that pretty much means I think a book just flat out rocks! The author is working on a thesis for college about finding a better way for new authors to break into the fictional book market and as part of his thesis he wrote this book, after learning that I was intrigued and visited his web site and then bought this wonderful book.

Basically as part of his thesis for c
Lynxie
The Phoenix Cycle: Would you?, seems to be a very brief introduction to a much larger story. This section of the story probably raises more questions than it should.

I wondered about the ash, the potato bar, the Inner Circle and who the hell these people were, why they were doing these things and who was the one making them?

I understand that introductions to a story should raise questions, but not that many, and not that many when you're not going to offer anything to the reader as a way of enti
Laurie
Jun 18, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I agree with another reviewer that there needs to be more. This was like a big tease. I got this as a giveaway on Booklikes and I enjoyed it, but I didn't know it was a short story. Well written but where the hell is the rest of the story. We're left hanging.
Robert Zimmermann
DNF - Even though this is a short story/novella, I had a hard time enjoying it and staying interested. I guess the writing wasn't for me.
Melody
Melody rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
SheriC (Portable Magic)
SheriC (Portable Magic) marked it as to-read
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Delee
Delee marked it as to-read
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
James Wymer
James Wymer marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Dave Depue
Dave Depue marked it as to-read
Bill Sullivan
Bill Sullivan marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Kim Hathorn
Kim Hathorn marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Debbie White
Debbie White marked it as to-read
J
J marked it as to-read
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Diana Senn
Diana Senn marked it as to-read
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Melo Neko
Melo Neko marked it as to-read
Haven Gordon
Haven Gordon marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Kin Pier
Kin Pier marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Chasity Smith
Chasity Smith marked it as to-read
Tosha Holliman
Tosha Holliman marked it as to-read
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Kim McHughes
Kim McHughes marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
4198544
I find sleep and watching television incredibly boring. In place of such ridiculous habits I read and travel whenever possible. I tend to travel by flying in small planes, as I have my Private Pilots license. So expect to find me around small airports scattered over the southwest.
More about Robert Edward...