Measure of Our Success: Letter to My Children and Yours

Measure of Our Success: Letter to My Children and Yours

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"The Measure of Our Success" is a book to turn lives around: a compassionate message for parents trying to raise moral children, a tough and searching book that ought to be required reading for every young American.
Published May 12th 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published 1992)

Sue
I'm currently rereading this book... I encouraged one of my great aunts to read this book when it first came out. Her notion of success was based on what college her kids and grandkids went to (most went to Ivy Leagues) and/or how much money they were making (usually a lot). Sharing this book with her was my way of saying what I thought mattered most in life. Ironically, she ended up ordering over a dozen to give to her grandkids.
Karen
I read this book the year in came out in 1992. It is written by Marian Wright Edelman who was the first black woman admitted to the Mississippi bar and founder and president of the Children's Defense Fund. She is also a graduate of Yale Law School. I loved her wisdom she shares in her "25 lessons for life" that she learned from her parents and taught her own sons. The message is timeless.
The Measure of Our Success.
~A letter for my children and yours

Nicholas is home sick today, and this book is due at the library tomorrow. It's a short 87 page read, but very good. It opened me up to some of the issues that African-Americans face in their lives.

I first heard of this book through my "In style" magazine featuring Reese Witherspoon. She mentioned it as required reading in college, and it's one of her all time favorite books. I now know why.

This is a book full of wisdom, quotes from r...more
Daniel L.
A Message We Need to Pass Along to the Next Generation

Drawing from inspirational experiences from her own childhood, Dr. Edelman talks to (not at) her own children, urging them, in whatever occupation they may choose, to serve the community at large. This is also a book for adults (parents, educators, and religious and community leaders) to read, to live a life of principles and a desire to somehow make the world a better place - in short, to serve as the strong, positive role model that so many...more
Nancy
She is a child advocate and this book had lots of good advice and a nice way of giving it.
She has 25 lessons for life...very good and practical suggestions from a black woman married to a Jewish man and raising children to respect themselves and their heritages...
e.g. " 'Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand.' (Carlyle) Try to take each each day and each task as they come, breaking them down into manageable pieces for action while stru...more
Msladydeborah
The Measure of Our Success is a thought provoking read because Marian Wright Edelman opens up her human feelings in this book. She shares what she believes to be important in terms of living a life that is centered on doing well and helping others to achieve that same sense of feeling.

I selected this book because of my admiration for her work with children and their families. It was a great way to renew my personal perspective about the work that I perform in the community.

Pauline
Some people just have wisdom for the ages! I loved the areas of discussion which include what really matters in life...caring about others, living with purpose, having passionate devotion to character and integrity. Some people make a lot of money and some people make a lot of LIFE...I want to be the latter who cares more about impact then materialism.
Kathystewart
This was such an inspirational book for me when I was in grad school. This woman is sooooooo smart and well spoken and has a way of writing and speaking that really touches me and inspires me to do better for children- all children. I highly recommend it. It's a tiny book- you could read it in a couple of hours.
Kelly
A quick read that provides universal lessons we all should follow. Succinct, concrete, and inspiring, I should read this book each year to remind me of what is important in life and what my responsibilities are.
Tami
i took some good things from this book. the idea that legality and morality are not the same thing and should not be considered the same thing. very interesting to me in how it was presented.
Ruth
Instrumental in helping parents chart a course for their children based on traditional values--self-reliance, family, hard work, justice, the pursuit of knowledge and of brotherhood.
Lee
Jul 23, 2007 Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Every citizen, especially parents
This woman is my personal hero. This book looks at what it means to be successful as a society and as a human being. It is short, direct and right on.
Robert
Aug 08, 2008 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: For everyone
Shelves: inspiring
I have read it three times. During each read of this wonderful book, I find that the messages and lessons within keep their worth.
Sandra
This is a book that will make you think, put it down because reality is so real, and then want to finish it as you cry out loud. WOW!
Rebecca Sayre
if you have children, want to have children or exist in, near, around or about a child at any point in your life, you should read it!
Peggy
It needs to be read annually by teachers and legislators and everyone else who impacts the futures of our children.
Nefret
Everyone has to read this book. It is short, really wonderful and life altering. Read it -there is no excuse. Read it.
chris mcdonald
May 08, 2007 chris mcdonald rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: oneofmyfavorites
Just read it! It is inspiring and I will probably give this book to all of my family and any new parents.
Christine
A book I was instructed to read in college; One I have held onto and returned to the pages I have bent over.
Ann
A short book of wisdom and advice on how to be a better citizen and human being.
Deanna
Feb 03, 2009 Deanna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Reese who read it during her 1st year at Stanford.
Jenifer
Read in my First Book Club. (Jennifer's)
Name Peace
the was book is to nice
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2010 Cheryl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
from Crytal's list
Veneviva
Veneviva is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Claire
Claire is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2014
Julie Ann
Julie Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
  • Male and Female
  • One Special Moment
  • Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, and Other Leaps of Faith
  • Healing Emotions: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Mindfulness, Emotions, and Health
  • Made for Goodness: And Why This Makes All the Difference
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask
  • The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family
  • Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada's Quest to Change Harlem and America
The Sea Is So Wide and My Boat Is So Small: Charting a Course for the Next Generation Lanterns: A Memoir of Mentors Guide My Feet I Can Make a Difference: A Treasury to Inspire Our Children I'm Your Child God: Prayers for Our Children