Start by marking “Wish” as Want to Read:
Wish

Wish

As an elephant couple embark on a life together, thoughts of children are far away—at first. But as the desire for a child grows, so do unexpected challenges. And it's only after thwarted plans and bitter disappointment that their deepest wish miraculously comes true.
Published March 3rd 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish

Sara Grochowski
What a beautiful, heartfelt little book. I'm unabashedly in love with Matthew Cordell's Wish and can confidently say it will be landing on my Best of 2015 lists. Quiet, tender, and warm, this story about an elephant couple that patiently and purposely build their life, then long with hope for the 'you' that will complete their family. Warning: You might find yourself crying by the end of this one.
Lizzie
Apr 03, 2015 Lizzie rated it liked it
Shelves: family
Don't be fooled by the cover, this book is more emotional than the whimsy of two elephants tossing a baby elephant into the air might suggest.
As fellow librarian Shelly said, this is definitely more of " a baby shower gift book for parents." And nothing wrong with that. I can see adults who had difficult or nontraditional journey to building a family (such as multiple pregnancies, adoption, etc) wanting to read this as an origin story with their children.
Carrie Gelson
May 30, 2015 Carrie Gelson rated it it was amazing
We waited for 4 years to become parents before having our twins (who are now 12) Reading this book made that turmoil feel like yesterday and I am teary each time I read this title. However, despite the sad emotions there is so much hope and celebration here. What a special book.
Liza Nahas
Mar 04, 2015 Liza Nahas rated it it was amazing
This lovely book is for anyone who has ever had their plans to start a family not work out as you thought they would.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A beautiful message in a great story.

WISH is about an elephant couple who patiently wait for their wish, a baby. They have to wait a long time. Through out all their waiting, and wishing, they do things together. They wish, they build, they learn, and they travel. They keep going, and wishing. Through out all their waiting, and waiting, they never stop wishing. Then one day, their wish comes true, and a sweet little baby elephant arrives.

I loved the delicate way Matthew Cordell told the story.
paula
I am gigantically torn about this book. Beautifully executed, heartfelt, and wonderful - but holy shit this is the most triggering picture book I have ever read.

Two elephant parents gradually decide that they wish for a child. They plan, they learn, they build. But the child does not come. "Everything stops." Until eventually, the child does come.

And you bawl. I literally cannot think of who I'd give this book to. My neighbors, who have been waiting to adopt for three years now? My sister-in-law
Nikki Norton
May 18, 2016 Nikki Norton rated it it was amazing
I came across this book in the library. I thought the cover was cute, so I just grabbed it.... and I am very glad that I did. I went from glancing through it hurriedly to suddenly sitting on the floor crying my heart out. Maybe it isn't best for children, because they probably won't really connect. But trust me when I say, that anyone you know who may have suffered a miscarriage, or especially has lost their beautiful stillborn child.... those parents need this book. It captures the longing for ...more
Margie
Mar 01, 2015 Margie rated it it was amazing
To wish for something is to believe it is possible even if others name it a miracle. Once a wish is made, even if we don't conscientiously work toward it, our marvelous minds begin to guide us in the right direction. What's not always easy to determine is if the variables will align to make this longing realized.

There may come a time when two believe they would be better as three. Wish (Disney Hyperion, March 3, 2015) written and illustrated by Matthew Cordell is about the desire to become paren
Maddie Jaques
Jun 24, 2015 Maddie Jaques rated it it was amazing
I don't care who this book is MEANT for, it is wonderful. I cried while reading it, because I am one of those Momma's who endured hardships to have my babies, some babies I didn't even get to hold here on Earth. I love this book. I think it is beautiful and a wonderful way to explain to some little ones how much they were wanted. There are too many people in this world who do not feel wanted, and this book is a beautiful way to help them see how loved they are, even at a young age. I love it. I ...more
Janice
Feb 08, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
What a wonderful book about a couple wanting a baby. They are ready for the baby to arrive, but nothing happens. They wait and hope for the little one to come. They build a boat and go looking but can’t find a baby. Their life is put on hold. Finally the baby arrives, what joy.
This book seems to be aimed at not only little ones but grownups who are waiting anxiously for a baby. The baby’s arrival is a time for joy, and since the arrival is by boat, this would work very well for a child who has
Juliana Lee
The elephants wish for a baby. Their wish grows as time passes. Even when they think they are ready, more time passes. Even when they think their wish may never come true, they still wish. Finally, their wish comes true. http://julianaleewriter.com/books-ali...
Linda
Jul 15, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I imagine this will be a wonderful gift, among others, for all those parents who've waited and waited, and finally have a child in the family. It's sweet illustrations show joy in living, but even more joy in making a family.
Whitney Rachel
Mar 19, 2015 Whitney Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, family
This is kind of heavy. Like...are we talking about a miscarriage? Are we talking about trying to get preggers and it not happening?

Either way, I really enjoyed it. I'm just not sure who the target audience is here...
Karin
Mar 31, 2015 Karin rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a sappy read. BUT, it brought a little tear to my eye. Beware, if you have or are currently struggling to have a child - this one will lay you out!
Shelley
Mar 19, 2015 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, babies
I feel this may be more of a baby shower gift book for parents. Or something a parent reads with a child, but not something a kid just picks up to read.
Beth
Apr 01, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Undoubtedly this book will be the new go-to baby gift for expectant moms and dads - especially if those soon-to-be parents encountered hardships in their desire for a child of their own.
Hayley Imbler
Dec 03, 2016 Hayley Imbler rated it really liked it
I liked the simplicity of the illustrations, but most of all I loved the story. I feel that this book describes what it is like to not be able to have children, relates to those who adopt, etc. Great message.
Traci Bold
Oct 06, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
I find most of the words in this story, not necessary as the simplistic and inviting illustrations tell this story best. A beautiful book showing wishing is worthy. Wishes may not come true when you want and plan but that is the point, not everything in life can be planned.

I feel this book is more for expectant parents to read to their unborn child as a calm for the parent themselves.

Written and illustrated by Matthew Cordell. Published by Disney Hyperion.

#PB #babies #family
Regina L
Jun 02, 2015 Regina L rated it it was amazing
It all begins with a wish. Long before a couple makes plans for a baby or gets things ready or waits and waits…long before all of that, in their hearts, they wish for a baby. That dream may be a small hope for one someday years from now, but it’s still a wish sent out into the universe. In the meantime, they live and learn, travel and grow, until one day it feels like something is missing, and they are ready. They make their wish for a baby to each other and loud enough for the universe to know ...more
Merisha28
Aug 05, 2015 Merisha28 rated it it was amazing
Wish by Matthew Cordell
Age Range: 3 - 5 years
Grade Level: Preschool - Kindergarten
Hardcover: 48 pages
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion (March 3, 2015)

My Review~~
I received this book from Disney in exchange for an unbiased review.
First off, I just want to say that I adore the illustrations and the storyline of this precious book. This is a story of an elephant couple who come together and journey all the while thinking of a child. From all their plans, the child still was not coming into the picture. Th
Stephanie Croaning
Dec 10, 2015 Stephanie Croaning rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
This isn't a book that will appeal or be understood by all children. It has a pretty specific target audience -- families who struggled to have children.

Wish tells the story of an elephant couple who start their life together as a two-person "us." They plan, learn, build, and journey together, but they get to the point where they dream of having a child. So they plan, learn, build, journey, and wait for the child to join them. However, the wait becomes so long that they move on. In time, a chil
Hannah
Apr 07, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Wish is a more sober picture book (adults, you might be in tears by the end), but it is bursting with heart. Cordell wrote and illustrated this little beauty of book that poignantly and poetically describes the hopeful, and sometimes painful, journey to parenthood that many couples take (and that Cordell and his wife took). Two elephants (I like that the genders are never specified) first wish, then make plans, build, and journey a few times over until their wish is finally granted. The spare ...more
Kaitlin
Mar 27, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
A beautifully told story about two elephants who wish for a baby but don't get their wish right away. The watercolors are beautiful, and the text looks like it was written with a typewriter. The story itself is lovely and captures what it feels like to know you're ready to grow your family but have something in the way. The author got the emotions just right but portrayed them simply enough that this is appropriate for children.

Probably most relevant for families with fertility issues, but we ar
Samantha
An elephant couple prepare for a child in poetic text.

I like that the story recognizes that bringing a child into this world is largely a miracle even when parents are making all the best decisions and plans; sometimes as a parent you can do everything right and are still left wondering if a baby will ever arrive.

Text is infused with love and makes for a perfect lap share with a beloved child.

Bamboo ink, India ink, and watercolor illustrations add the perfect amount of whimsy.

PreK-2, and expecta
Nikki Glassley
Jan 15, 2016 Nikki Glassley rated it really liked it
Shelves: grown-up
This is a lovely picture book- for adults.

The premise is this: Two elephants plan and wait for a baby. He doesn't come and eventually they give up on planning and just wish, until one day, he arrives. Adorable. Emotional! But definitely not for kids.

Sentimentality isn't an emotion young kids understand or experience. This is a beautiful book for a baby shower or first birthday that parents will certainly appreciate, but as soon as Human Child is old enough to find simple picture books entertain
Katie Lawrence
Mar 22, 2015 Katie Lawrence rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Almost as lovely a book for parents/aspiring parents as it is for children, this is a celebration of wishing for a child and finally getting what you've wished for. I loved the whimsical style and the progression the adult elephants made from traveling, learning and building to wishing for something more in their lives. This book even gently suggests that sometimes getting your wished for child is difficult and can involve a lot of waiting. I think this book would be appreciated by adopted ...more
Becky
Sep 03, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
An elephant couple begins their life together. They wish for adventure and work to make it happen. Eventually, they notice another wish... a wish that might not come true. Then one day, it does.

This is one of those, 'Is this really for kids?!' books. Perfect for a family with an adopted or surrogate child, but also very intense/sad at points. I lovelovelove the illustrations; this style gets me every time-- it's a little Quentin Blake-esque. Just a dash. ^^

A beautiful, heartfelt story that I'm w
:Donna Marie
WISH I'm always really impressed when something executed in such a simple form can be so moving and powerful. From the first page the reader can feel the yearning of a couple to have a child, even before they thought of it consciously--and so clear is how incredibly special and wanted that child is.

This is a beautiful book for any expectant couple--even before their baby has arrived. Just precious :)
Ricki
May 24, 2015 Ricki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My baby boy began with a wish. This story beautifully depicts the struggle that parents have when they first decide to have a child. This is a book that is written for both children and for parents. I will be buying this one for a couple of friends who are expecting. I suspect this book will impact many parents more than others (based on fertility concerns). Its simplicity drives the message home.
Cat Fithian
Mar 07, 2015 Cat Fithian rated it it was ok
Very sweet -almost sticky. I don't think I'd read this in storytime and honestly don't know who I'd recommend the book for. This is one of those books that you buy for a baby shower gift, the parents and grandparents and ladies will "awww" at it over tea, you may read it to the babe in arms, and then it'll gather dust on the shelf until the next generation of wishful parents finds it touching. The thinly disguised birth illustration of the boat is amusing.
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • Stella Brings the Family