The Happiest Days of Our Lives

The Happiest Days of Our Lives

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Readers of Wil Wheaton’s website know that he is a masterful teller of elegant stories about his life. Building on the critical success of Dancing Barefoot and Just A Geek, he has collected more of his own favorite stories in his third book, The Happiest Days of Our Lives. These are the stories Wil loves to tell, because they are the closest to his heart: stories about bei...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Monolith Press (first published 2007)

Daryl
Do yourself a favor and get the audiobook version. Wil is a great storyteller, getting better with each passing year. This comes across through his writing but is all the more powerful, laugh-out-loud funny, and touching (as in he might make you cry near the end; I did) when he tells you himself. Note that I say "tells you." Wil doesn't just read his words but adds weight and emotion. Now if only he could add sound effects like C-3PO's storytelling on Endor... :)
Karen
Dec 28, 2008 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Nostalgic Kids of the 70s
I listened to the audiobook version of this book while wrapping gifts and getting ready for the holidays. The book is a series of brief autobiographical essays and the audiobook performed by the author brings the stories to life. The audio version is occasionally interrupted by asides that are not in the printed version and discussion between the author and his friend the recording engineer -- these departues from the printed book add to the charm of the audio version and provide additional insi...more
ian
Wil sent me a signed early release under the condition I reserved its reading for my flight home from Iraq. I did, and it was well worth the wait.

Wil has such a great storytelling voice. I truly hope we see some more of these in the future.
John
I started to write this review last night, and went looking for Wil Wheaton's blog, where many of the stories came from, so I can link to it from my review.

It was getting late, I was tired, and so I was a bit disoriented for a few seconds when I saw my own words flash up on the screen. At the time, his most recent story had excerpted my review of paper books. Wow, I thought. This never happens when I'm about to review Dickens. And actually, it's never happened before, ever. I'll admit to owning...more
Amanda
Jul 10, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Wil Wheaton fans, geeks everywhere
A short little read, it took me all of about three or four hours over the course of a couple of days while on vacation. It can easily be put down and picked up at a later time without losing a bit of the story. Essentially, Wil took various posts from his blog and published them together as a longer novella. Lots of nostalgia for the 80's as well as heartwarming stories about his family, life in California, and his career as an actor. I had already read many of the stories from his blog, but it...more
Kristen
Well, I've been a fan of Wil's blog for quite some time now, but this is the first actual hard copy book of his I've read. As with his blog, I just love how clearly he is able to articulate his experiences and insights. He has some keen observations on the human condition, and relates them so skillfully that I can literally go from tears during one story to laughing out loud in the next. I think maybe that's partly because I can relate to a lot of the things he refers to. I was a child of the 80...more
Fran
Mar 08, 2008 Fran rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: geeks, readers of Wil's blog, Star Trek fans
Recommended to Fran by: Wil Wheaton(!)
Wil's third book (I've only read this and his second) is awesome. Like his other books it consists of a series of short true stories, generally based on blog entries. Some stories had me close to tears - particularly the story of the loss of his cat. Another, one of which I'd recently read an excerpt of, tells of his introduction to D&D. There's only one story that really relates to Star Trek (another sad story), so if you aren't a fan of Star Trek you don't have to avoid it.

Wil is one of th...more
Dietmar
I have to admit that I never liked Wil Wheaton as an actor (or maybe it was just the roles he played), but his writing is powerful and heartwarming. A great book that speaks to the geek inside everybody ;)
(... and since he appeared as himself in The Big Bang Theory I even like his acting :D )
Alexander
Apr 02, 2010 Alexander rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Every human being I know and quite a few I don't know.
Shelves: geek-culture
The Happiest Days of Our Lives continues the tradition that Wil Wheaton started in the Audiobook version of Just a Geek Audiobook with what he and his friend David call "The Super Annotated Version" of the original printed version and more importantly it is Wil Wheaton's memories from his life (the way he remembers them, which I hear is different from how Wil Wheaton's mother remembers them...).

He starts us off with a nice introduction to his family and the dedication to his two sons, two boys w...more
Tom
I just finished reading this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm no book reviewer, but I found so many parallels between Wil's stories and my young life, growing up in the late 70's / early 80's in Westwood and Ayer, Massachusetts.

Full disclosure: I was not a Star Trek fan. I really don't know why. I've had many exposures to geekdom, but for some reason, I was not attracted to it, in any of its forms. Yes, I watched all of the full length motion pictures, and occasionally found myself watching an...more
Erik
Wheaton, former cast member of the Star Trek: The Next Generation and unofficial Grand Marshal of Emerald City Comicon, is back with another collection of nerdish memories and musings. Although I admit to being an eager fan-boy of his devoted affection for the popular arts, I was a tad disappointed by a few of his entries; if not a little perplexed by the poor editing – at least compared to Just a Geek.

“Blue Light Special”, which I heard Wheaton read live and on-stage at ECCC a few years back,...more
krah
I had the pleasure of meeting Wil at the Phoenix Comicon this year and I won't lie he was definitely the determining factor that made me force my I-don't-understand-this-sci-fi-business fiance into going with me last minute after all my friends bailed on me. I'm a huge fan of his blog, books and while I'm not a trekkie (it's all about the Wars) I love watching him act. I, not so secretly, wish that Wil was my stepdad. A girl can dream, because even if he claims to be "lame", I think he is the co...more
Kevin
Picked up an autographed copy from Wil himself at the Penny Arcade Expo August 29-31 in Seattle, WA. Many nostalgic and mostly geeky stories that I can relate to as a child of the 70s and 80s.

Finished it yesterday (10/7). I liked this one a lot. The entire book is only 135 pages and it is broken up into a number of short to middle-length stories, so it's easy to read. The topics are all personal to Wil and involve either experiences of his own as a child or young actor (see "Stand By Me" and "St...more
Diane
I have to admit: I'm reviewing this based on the audiobook version. This is my first exposure to Wil Wheaton's writing (although like most of the world, I follow him on Twitter and through his blog).

This collection of stories about family, love, and all-out geekery is funny, poignant, and so relevant to my own 1970s/1980s experience, I could have hugged the author.

If you've read the book, definitely seek out the audio version. It has added "audio footnotes," in which Wheaton speaks off the cuff...more
Gbina
I am reading this book little bit by little bit. It is a compilation of several short musing stories about growing up in the 1970-1980's. Like Just a Geek, this is a good night stand book or waiting room book. Chapters are short and read quickly in the few minutes before bed time or waiting for your name to be called.

Wheaton has a way of bringing back my own memories of childhood by telling stories of his childhood. And the best part is, since he is sharing HAPPY memories I tend to reminisce ab...more
Kristi
This is a collection of Wil's blog entries. I actually read the Subterranean edition, which contains some extra commentary by Wil. I'm not sure if it contains more stories or not.

I took my time reading this one. It was nice, you can read a chapter, put it down for a while, and come back later to a new story. Wil is a wonderful story teller. Some of the stories are about his childhood, others his Star Trek past, and my favorites are the ones that center around his family. While I borrowed this on...more
Nari (The Novel World)
Its a short book of recollections of his childhood, his family and his experiences working on Star Trek. His stories are funny and his senese of humor about his life is really amusing to read, particularly his interactions with his stepsons. The entires were taken from his blog. He has a few other books published as well, Just a Geek, and he’s collaborated on a few comic books and mangas. He has some fiction work pending in the next couple of years, including a wholly original comic book. I can’...more
Matija
Meh, a disappointment. The Happiest Days of Our Lives is a collection of perfectly mundane Wil Wheaton stories about his family. I should say families to be more precise, since about half of them include Wil's childhood memories.

Picture this: you take your kids out to a fast food joint for an ice cream. One of them says something mildly amusing (I am being generous here) and you flirt with the cashier a little. The end.

The other half of the stories are mostly about his incredibly first-world ch...more
Meri
I sat down an hour ago and started this book, not intending to read it straight through, but that's what happened. I got sucked into Wil's wonderful world of wonderings/memories/blog entries. His recollections of growing up in the Star Wars action figures era made me laugh, cry, and think back on my own childhood. The guy's got a great, warm, charming writing style. Can't wait to read more of his stuff, and maybe someday I'll meet him at a geeky convention of some sort.
berrybuzz
I started reading this book right after Phx Comicon 2009...I read through "let go- a requiem for Felix the Bear". It broke my heart as I had just lost my own cat to illness. I put the book down.

Even in picking it back up, seeing the last page of the Felix story caused me to tear up slightly, but I focused on the next story and kept going.

It's an awesome book and definitely worth a read, especially if you have even an ounce of geek in you.

AJ LeBlanc
I'll have the fancy-schmancy Subterranean Press edition, expanded from the version Wil released himself, to include additional essays, and a photo section. And it's signed. Neener neener neener.

***

This came in the mail two days after I met the amazing Mr. Wheaton at PAX East.

Check out his blog at www.wilwheaton.typepad.com to see how fantastic his writing is, then buy his books. Support the geeks!
Daniel Judge
I enjoyed Wheaton's book "Just a Geek" and was looking forward to reading more of his stories in "The Happiest Days of Our Lives." This collection is shorter but still enjoyable.

Wil is very open about his personal life and struggles. He talks fondly about his wife and step-kids throughout the book. Being a step-parent must be extremely difficult and Wil does whatever it takes to be the best one.

His childhood also comes up quite a few times. Most child stars in his situation would fall into drink...more
Brendan
Like his other books, The Happiest Days of Our Lives is a collection of stories from his blog. Short ones, long ones, and in between length ones. Wil Wheaton writes in such a way that despite the fact that he's simply writing stories about himself and his family, you genuinely care about Anne, Ryan, and Nolan. I look forward to whatever it is Wil Wheaton has on the go.
Nicole
Wil Wheaton is a wonderful storyteller. I read his blog on a regular basis, and his same wit, charm, and compassion come through with this book. One day I'll have to get my hands on the audiobook version, as other readers have recommended.
Jon Williams
I reviewed this book for The Compulsive Reader. I don't know if I'm at liberty to repost the text here, so instead, I'll include a link to it:

Kevin
So cute! There's a lot about Wil's childhood, some amusing anecdotes about him making fun of Patrick Stewart's car, and some rather sweet (almost quite 'emo') moments of his as a father. I highly recommend this one.
Leah
I'm not a D&D or Trekkie geek-- I'm more of a Scrabble and Star Wars girl. So clearly, Wheaton can cross nerdy lines, because I laughed and I "aww"-ed and I liked this. More Wil will follow.
Salimbol
A series of wryly humorous, thematically-connected vignettes - about childhood in the 70s and 80s, and about growing up geeky - which really resonated with me.
Sara Marcus
One of the few things that have ever made me laugh - and to make me laugh repeatedly encouraged my mother-in-law to read the same book.
Renee Hall
While I enjoyed Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise, the blog post-style personal essays in this volume felt too disjointed and slight, never quite making it beyond anecdote level to reach anything more meaningful. Fans will likely enjoy it; those unfamiliar with his writing might read this and wonder what the big deal is.
  • The Witches of Dixie (Witchery, #1)
  • Imaginary Lands
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Shards of Crimson (Crimson City, #7)
  • Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme
  • The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons And Growing Up Strange
  • Tomboy Bride: A Woman's Personal Account of Life in Mining Camps of the West
  • Moving Violations: War Zones, Wheelchairs, and Declarations of Independence
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • The Ant King: And Other Stories
  • The Nerdist Way: How to Reach the Next Level (In Real Life)
  • Cooked: From the Streets to the Stove, from Cocaine to Foie Gras
  • Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4)
  • Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • The Pythons' Autobiography
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Firefly: Still Flying: A Celebration of Joss Whedon's Acclaimed TV Series
A worldwide audience may know him from recent roles as Evil Wil Wheaton on The Big Bang Theory, Doctor Isaac Parrish on EUReKA, or Fawkes on The Guild, but Wil Wheaton’s successful acting career began in 1986 with acclaimed roles in Stand By Me and Toy Soldiers.

He continued to build his resume through his teen years as series regular ‘Wesley Crusher’ on Star Trek: The Next Generation and opposite...more
More about Wil Wheaton...
Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise Dancing Barefoot Memories of the Future - Volume 1 Hunter Sunken Treasure: Wil Wheaton's Hot Cocoa Box Sampler