Start by marking “The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution” as Want to Read:
The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution

The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This low-carb diet book is geared towards diabetics. An engineer by training, Bernstein pioneered blood glucose self-monitoring and the tight control of blood sugar that is now accepted as the standard treatment of diabetes.
Published January 3rd 2005 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Diabetes Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diabetes Diet

Gwenevere Sew Many Books
Oct 14, 2008 Gwenevere Sew Many Books rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All people wanting to make a lifestyle diet change
The Diabetes Diet
By Richard K. Bernstein M.D.

SYNOPSIS:
This is not a novel. It’s informative text on one diabetic/doctor’s experience with this disease. He offers incite into the cause, management and prevention to this problem that is plaguing Americans.

REVIEW:
Did you know that insulin is the ONLY reason we retain fat! Well this idea was news to me and caught me from the beginning. I also learned what it means to have a ‘carb addiction’ and what happens when you are insulin resistant. I was abs
Pamela
I'm determined to control my blood sugar without the use of medication for as long as possible & a low-carb diet is the way to do that. I'm not quite ready to try the extreme low-carb diet the author suggests, but I am taking many of the things I learned about food & the effect on blood sugar control & implementing them into my food plan.

I like that this is a protein-based diet plan with vegetables included. I don't think I could go to a strict vegan/vegetarian only diet as other di
Christine Dahl
I had diabetes while pregnant and I never want to give myself insulin injections again. The best defence against adult-onset diabetes is to have a normal to lean body weight. However, I have wrestled with conflicting recommendations on how to lose weight. I asked myself, why wait until I have diabetes to eat in a way that controls my blood sugar. This book is full of useful information. Let's see whether I can make this way of eating work for me over the long-term.
Lisa
Great ideas. Lost weight and lowered my bloodsugar and A1Cs. Very strict on carb intake. Bought the book to use forever.
Doris Jean
Jan 13, 2014 Doris Jean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who eats any food.
Anyone who is overweight, diabetic, ill or just not feeling up to par could benefit from these recipes. They have been thoroughly scrutinized by Dr B. working with professional chefs and are nutritious and balanced.

The first part of the book explains what the plan is and why, and the second part is over a hundred tasty recipes. I like knowing why I am eating this way and how to balance carbohydrates. The recipes have done all the math.

Discipline is needed to nutritionally control food intake, a
Jefferson
Jefferson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
زهرة الفردوس
زهرة الفردوس marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Gregg
Gregg marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
shirley lange
shirley lange is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Susan Susan
Susan Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Becky
Becky is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Kasia Segieda
Kasia Segieda is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Latoya Singletary
Latoya Singletary marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Denise Pappu
Denise Pappu marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Richard K. Bernstein, MD, is one of the world's foremost experts in diabetes treatment and care. He is the author of six books about diabetes, including The Diabetes Diet. Dr. Bernstein is the emeritus director of the Peripheral Vascular Disease Clinic at Jacobi Medical Center, an instructor at New York Medical College, fellow of the American College of Nutrition, and as a consultant to the Depart ...more
More about Richard K. Bernstein...
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, Updated Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars Diabetes: The Glucograph Method for Normalizing Blood Sugar Diabetes Type II: Living a Long, Healthy Life Through Blood Sugar Normalization