Start by marking “The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution” as Want to Read:
The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution

The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution

This low-carb diet book is geared towards diabetics. An engineer by training, Bernstein pioneered blood glucose self-monitoring and the tight control of blood sugar that is now accepted as the standard treatment of diabetes.
Published January 3rd 2005 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Diabetes Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diabetes Diet

Gwenevere Sew Many Books
Sep 21, 2008 Gwenevere Sew Many Books rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All people wanting to make a lifestyle diet change
The Diabetes Diet
By Richard K. Bernstein M.D.

SYNOPSIS:
This is not a novel. It’s informative text on one diabetic/doctor’s experience with this disease. He offers incite into the cause, management and prevention to this problem that is plaguing Americans.

REVIEW:
Did you know that insulin is the ONLY reason we retain fat! Well this idea was news to me and caught me from the beginning. I also learned what it means to have a ‘carb addiction’ and what happens when you are insulin resistant. I was abs
Pamela
Jun 09, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it
I'm determined to control my blood sugar without the use of medication for as long as possible & a low-carb diet is the way to do that. I'm not quite ready to try the extreme low-carb diet the author suggests, but I am taking many of the things I learned about food & the effect on blood sugar control & implementing them into my food plan.

I like that this is a protein-based diet plan with vegetables included. I don't think I could go to a strict vegan/vegetarian only diet as other di
Christine Dahl
Jan 20, 2013 Christine Dahl rated it it was amazing
I had diabetes while pregnant and I never want to give myself insulin injections again. The best defence against adult-onset diabetes is to have a normal to lean body weight. However, I have wrestled with conflicting recommendations on how to lose weight. I asked myself, why wait until I have diabetes to eat in a way that controls my blood sugar. This book is full of useful information. Let's see whether I can make this way of eating work for me over the long-term.
Lisa
May 20, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Great ideas. Lost weight and lowered my bloodsugar and A1Cs. Very strict on carb intake. Bought the book to use forever.
Doris Jean
Jan 13, 2014 Doris Jean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who eats any food.
Anyone who is overweight, diabetic, ill or just not feeling up to par could benefit from these recipes. They have been thoroughly scrutinized by Dr B. working with professional chefs and are nutritious and balanced.

The first part of the book explains what the plan is and why, and the second part is over a hundred tasty recipes. I like knowing why I am eating this way and how to balance carbohydrates. The recipes have done all the math.

Discipline is needed to nutritionally control food intake, a
Paul Vreeland
Apr 19, 2015 Paul Vreeland rated it liked it
I'm dissapointed that it doesn't give any additional recommendations for managing bloodsugar while excercising and preventing of treating lows during activity
K (Karen)
Nov 02, 2015 K (Karen) rated it liked it
There is some great information in this book, but it is not a standalone. Nearly every page contains a reference to one of the author's other books.
Becky
Jan 13, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Good information
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2013
Eeva
Eeva rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Lori Carlson
Lori Carlson rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Michael Land
Michael Land rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Lana Larsen
Lana Larsen rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Barby Simmons
Barby Simmons rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
VAN
VAN rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Susan Dunne
Susan Dunne rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
May 24, 2014
Canwdn
Canwdn rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Lisa Roberts
Lisa Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Sacha
Sacha rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Evie Marie Pena
Evie Marie Pena rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Thomas Schneider
Thomas Schneider rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Glen Bell
Glen Bell rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2015
C
C rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Seth
Seth rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Joel Griswell
Joel Griswell rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Tony Valente
Tony Valente rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The New Atkins Made Easy: A Faster, Simpler Way to Shed Weight and Feel Great -- Starting Today!
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
  • Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
  • The Schwarzbein Principle
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You about Diabetes
  • Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
  • Meditation Secrets for Women: Discovering Your Passion, Pleasure, and Inner Peace
  • Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • Meditation Made Easy
  • The DASH Diet for Hypertension
  • The First Year: Fibromyalgia: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • The Disconnected Kids Nutrition Plan: Proven Strategies to Enhance Learning and Focus for Children with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Neurological
  • Diabetes Rising: How a Rare Disease Became a Modern Pandemic, and What to Do About It
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • Mastering the Life Plan: The Essential Steps to Achieving Great Health and a Leaner, Stronger, and Sexier Body
Richard K. Bernstein, MD, is one of the world's foremost experts in diabetes treatment and care. He is the author of six books about diabetes, including The Diabetes Diet. Dr. Bernstein is the emeritus director of the Peripheral Vascular Disease Clinic at Jacobi Medical Center, an instructor at New York Medical College, fellow of the American College of Nutrition, and as a consultant to the Depart ...more
More about Richard K. Bernstein...