Start by marking “The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb” as Want to Read:
The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb

The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Controversial in nature, this book demonstrates that the United States did not need to use the atomic bomb against Japan. Alperovitz criticizes one of the most hotly debated precursory events to the Cold War, an event that was largely responsible for the evolution of post-World War II American politics and culture.
Published August 6th 1996 by Vintage (first published July 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb

The Odyssey by HomerThe Republic by PlatoThe Complete Works of Shakespeare by William ShakespeareTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeCrime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Best books for humanities degree
91st out of 126 books — 50 voters
The Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanTo End All Wars by Adam HochschildKilling Hope by William BlumPatriot of Persia by Christopher De BellaigueTerminator Planet by Nick Turse
Best Anti-Imperialist Books
39th out of 39 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Tariq Mahmood
Reading this book has provided me with a new definition of superpower. A superpower is considered a superpower only when it is successful in spreading its version of narrative, at same time rejecting all other conjectures as arbitrary.

This fantastic and extremely detailed book on the real reasons for dropping of atomic bombs on Japan will leave no doubt that the main reason was to establish USA as the new Superpower in the world. The popular narrative does not include the Soviet threat to enter
Derek Ide
Pretty decisive conclusions based on exhaustive documentary research. Perhaps not for the casual reader, who will find the methodology somewhat burdensome. He sometimes misses the forests for the trees (his little swipe in the afterword at "Marxist momentum theory" is a strawman, I think), but overall it's a book anyone interested in the topic should pick up, either for a full read or for reference.
M. W.
This is such a fun read!.....well, not really. It's pretty depressing. I've been reading and rereading this book since the late 90's......and I still can't decide about the decision to use the atomic bomb. Anyone that can say that it was "right" or "wrong" with certainty, doesn't know the full story and all of its strange details. If you read this book...you'll read it more than once.
Jonnie Enloe
You only thought you knew the truth until you read this book. It is not schocking. But it is eyeopening. The blatant racism of high office in the US. It is a slow read and you have to want to know about this event before you read it. It is well worth the time. But be prepared to study. I used six books as reference during my reading which caused the unusual length to expand.
Peter Sprunger
This topic is near and dear to my heart... but this book was even too much for me. This is probably the definitive work on the subject because of the amount of research that went into it. However, that research is presented in its entirety by moving from excerpt to excerpt. This makes for a very boring read.
Incredibly thorough and eye opening. Also very long and dense. Glad I read it but doubt I ever will again.
Andrew
Very rigorous scholarship uncovers a wealth of evidence and information that has long since sunk down the American memory hole. Challenges most mainstream historical assumptions that the A-bomb was a necessary evil...a must read.
Emily
As a reference book, this is top notch. Check out the Shimoda case it references, a whole 'nother layer of controversy added to bombing of Hiroshima, just there!
Steve
Apr 13, 2010 Steve marked it as to-read
I've read parts of this book before, but plan to read it again (and in full) in light of the Obama Administration's stated policies regarding the use of nuclear weapons.
Andy
An interesting view that proposes the decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan was not a military decision but a foreign policy decision.
Andrew S  Taylor
Essential reading for anyone with strong views on the topic. Guaranteed to change your perspective on many things.
Vishal
Vishal marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Derek Peffer
Derek Peffer marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Echo
Echo marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
cat news
cat news marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Kaitlin Oujo
Kaitlin Oujo marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Efi
Efi marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Rob Jobin
Rob Jobin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
pnacattack. com
pnacattack. com marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Willingwell_
Willingwell_ marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Scott Ralston
Scott Ralston is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2014
Nolundi
Nolundi marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Jim Werner
Jim Werner marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
  • A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai: Scientist, Convert, and Survivor of the Atomic Bomb
  • Bells of Nagasaki (Japan's Modern Writers)
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Four: Out of the Ashes
  • Arsenals of Folly: The Making of the Nuclear Arms Race
  • When the Rainbow Goddess Wept
  • Life Exposed: Biological Citizens after Chernobyl
  • America, Russia and the Cold War 1945-2006
  • Empires of Food: Feast, Famine, and the Rise and Fall of Civilization
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • Hiroshima Dreams
  • Hiroshima Diary: The Journal of a Japanese Physician, August 6-September 30, 1945
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • The Gift of Good Land: Further Essays Cultural and Agricultural
  • Global Divas: Filipino Gay Men in the Diaspora
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal, 1932-1940
  • The End of Reform: New Deal Liberalism in Recession and War
  • Letters from a Lost Generation: First World War Letters of Vera Brittain and Four Friends
America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy What Then Must We Do?: Straight Talk about the Next American Revolution Unjust Deserts: How the Rich Are Taking Our Common Inheritance Atomic Diplomacy: Hiroshima and Potsdam: The Use of the Atomic Bomb and the American Confrontation with Soviet Power If You Don't Like Capitalism or State Socialism, What Do You Want? (Annual E. F. Schumacher Lectures)