The Witch and Other Stories

The Witch and Other Stories

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This large print title is set in Tieras 16pt font as reccomended by the RNIB.
Paperback, The Tales of Chekhov Volume 6, 148 pages
Published July 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch and Other Stories

Momina Masood
... and in their time there had been just the same desperate poverty and hunger, the same thatched roofs with holes in them, ignorance, misery, the same desolation around, the same darkness, the same feeling of oppression — all these had existed, did exist, and would exist, and the lapse of a thousand years would make life no better. And he did not want to go home.

This can easily sum up what this collection holds. Death, disease, poverty, loneliness and utter and complete despair run like terrib...more
Michael Nutt
The short story does not simply differ from the novel (or novella) in length, although brevity is one of its defining characteristics. It does not have the development of characters and narrative that you find in the longer forms of fiction. It must offer the reader a different experience. In its purest form, it is like a memory recalled, often no more than an incident or encounter where it may seem that little or nothing happened. Its essence lies in the detail: a single word or sentence may cr...more
Jean-marcel
Chekhov's theme may as well be distilled to the following maxim:
Nobody really understands anybody else at all, and the worst thing about this is that we strut around through life believing that we are really good at this communication business.

These stories, along with those in other volumes of Chekov that I've read, such as The Chorus Girl, are among the most heartbreaking and sad pieces I've ever come across. Reading Chekhov stories always makes me feel hopeless and shitty, but I keep coming b...more
Chekhov's short stories are supposedly required reading for getting the art of the short story down. These are an almost eerie set of stories about life in the Russian peasantry in the 19th century--but the issues he deals with of adultery, passion, jealousy and resignation are universal. Some of the stories I felt I was missing something, some issue of lingual/cultural/historical translation no doubt, but others were quietly heartbreaking.
Max Carmichael
I want to like Chekhov's writing. His reputation seems to depend on literary historicity: if you subscribe to the dominant paradigm of Anglo-European literary history, Chekhov is an important formalist and his stories are a refreshing part of the historical flow. And in these stories he predominantly evokes rural life and natural settings, seeming to look backward at a time when progress was effecting radical changes for everyone.

But he dwells relentlessly on rural failure, misery, and hopelessn...more
Sally Maria
While always a reader I had never read Chekhov. But whenever anyone talks about mastering the short story, Chekhov's name is mentioned. So I started with these stories. I generally don't like reading ANYONE'S short stories one right after another, anymore than I enjoy listening to one artist sing one song right after another, but I enjoyed these. While not his best - it's easy to understand why his work has become classic.
Read during my trip back home since it was the only book left.
DesertSlug
Chekhov is one of the best short story writers ever. Many of his works are quite short, describing one moment in time, and yet ends of reflecting a life time of pain, an entire culture, a universal struggle, or a black irony that most can appreciate. I wish I could read Russian, as I assume these stories are even more powerful in their original language. I give this collection a 4 star rather than a 5, because not every story is great. But they are all well worth the read.
Nick Phillips
Almost flawless as one might expect from one of the world's all time great writers though it does suffer a little from the perennial problem with short story collections in that the juxtaposition of some of the tales does them no favour. A good story following a great story can often seem less well developed than it actually is and here there are many great stories so those that are a little less developed appear weaker than they almost certainly are.

The tales evoke a set of times and places whi...more
Ali Mandala
I enjoyed reading this book although it was quite heavy. Some of the short stories were absolutely entrancing like the witch, gustav and a couple of others. They were full of wonderful imagery and beautiful language. The social commentary and gender commentary was quite interesting as well although occasionally the wordiness led me to be distracted.
Rushabh
good writing...but a little melancholy for my taste
Jenn
read only The Witch, as I was AD'ing a short film adaptation. Interesting story, but I feel like I'm missing a lot here because I don't know anything about the time it was written, and this is one of those pieces where that sort of information helps with the understanding. That said, it's not a bad piece, but it felt to me like it was an empty ending.
Luckngrace
I've been trying to read the Classics lately and I have to say, I don't know how some of them could be classified as such. These short stories had little plot and many had no ending whatsoever. No matter how beautiful the prose, substance matters too.
Anna  Matsuyama
This copy includes 15 Chekhov's stories. Rating is for the short story The Witch.

by A. Apsita, 1902
विकास   नैनवाल
I had heard about Anton Chekhov a lot. This is the first short story collection by him that i've read. I liked most of the stories. The stories depict the lives of peasants of Russia at that time.
Allenj3210
I would agree that his work is a masterful example of technique in short stories. But I will admit the author is dry, and a little hard to follow but a worthwhile read nonetheless.
☯Bettie☯

A MALEFACTOR
PEASANTS

17/8/2012: On hold
Kevin
Quite boring. Gave up after a few stories.
Oct 06, 2010 Sarah marked it as to-read
FREE on my i-phone/kindle- thanks amazon.com!
Jason
I always enjoy reading Chekov's work.
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Tiesha Perry
Tiesha Perry marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Tushar Jhunjhunwala
Tushar Jhunjhunwala marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов) was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov r...more
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels Uncle Vanya

“The past,' he thought, 'is linked with the present by an unbroken chain of events flowing one out of another.' And it seemed to him that he had just seen both ends of that chain; that when he touched one end the other quivered.” 17 likes
“... she looked at the sky and wondered where her baby’s soul was now: was it following her, or floating aloft yonder among the stars and thinking nothing now of his mother? Oh, how lonely it was in the open country at night, in the midst of that singing when one cannot sing oneself; in the midst of the incessant cries of joy when one cannot oneself be joyful, when the moon, which cares not whether it is spring or winter, whether men are alive or dead, looks down as lonely, too...” 1 likes