Start by marking “The Lady with the Dog and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Lady with the Dog and Other Stories

The Lady with the Dog and Other Stories

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  490 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Translated by CONSTANCE GARNETT.
Published September 1st 1984 by Ecco Press

To ask other readers questions about The Lady with the Dog and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady with the Dog and Other Stories

Lisa
Sep 08, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I haven't actually read the whole book, just the title story. But I certainly intend to read the others.
It is so intriguing to read the story of a world-weary middle-aged married man, so used to having a fling at any opportunity because he is so bored by his wife that he has tagged the entire female gender 'the lower race', who then finds to his own astonishment that he has fallen in love for the first time in his life.
These days, of course, middle-aged men do this all the time, and they
Amy
Apr 04, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
I actually would give this a 4.5...I really don't know what to say about Chekhov that hasn't been said before. He is obviously a master at the short story. His stories in this volume are mainly about normal almost mundane lives of the upper class. Affairs, courting, marriages, having bad dreams, growing up, etc. I appreciate that Chekhov can make such normal situations compelling to read and he doesn't have neat tidy endings or judge his characters one way or another. The only thing that's preve ...more
Duane
This collection is dominated by two stories, The Lady with the Dog, and An Anonymous Story. They account for half of the book in volume, and they are, in my opinion, the two best stories of the collection. They are all good though. I never feel like I'm struggling to finish a Chekhov story. Much is made of his writing style and it certainly makes his stories flow effortlessly. It's easy to see why he is considered a master of the short story genre.
Deea

The Black Monk
Volodya
An Anonymous Story
The Husband

I am a fan of short stories and this is the first book written by Chekhov that I have read so far. I really liked "The Lady with the Dog" and "Ionitch" and even "The Black Monk" and I have to admit that all the stories from this volume are quite powerful. They are very human and they transmit feelings, despair, fears. I really enjoyed this volume and I'll d
Maya Rock
Apr 13, 2014 Maya Rock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freekindlebook
[SPOILERS] Excruciating and tender. Thank God "The Lady with the Dog" was in it, because everything else was a downer. You almost wanted to make all the other characters read "The Lady with the Dog so that they could have some hope about life. Actually now that I think about it, there seemed to be slightly more of a moralizing edge to all these stories than the ones I've read in other collections, and that edge made them almost uplifting--like there was always some promise that there was a bette ...more
Lasharell Schwarzer
I read this book on the advice of Francine Prose, author of Reading Like a Writer. Anton Chekhov's The Lady with the Dog was one of her many recommendations. Prose called Chekhov the best short story writer of all time.

I do not read short stories. I am not a (novel) snob turning my nose up at any papyrus published printout without its own cover and personal ISBN. No. Simply put I am an individual who never took the time to explore the world of short fiction. The same thought provoking and round
Sadegh Maleki
Lady with the Dog was a beautiful open-ended story written in realistic manner to show the inadequacy of social law and human affairs. It penetrates to the nature of love, secrecy and impotency of human being in changing his/her life. The story can be divided into three spaces: 1. space of freedom, 2. space of secrecy, 3. space of appearance.
David
Where other stories leave you feeling satisfied, these leave you puzzling over the point. They virtually cry out for a discussion group to examine the psychology of the characters. I found them more mentally intriguing than enjoyable -- and somewhat addicting. It is as if you ask, 'Why is it that Russians are so troubled and complex?' and the author answers by telling these stories.

In reply to an objection that he had once written about horse-thieves without condemning them, Chekhov once said re
Jazzy Lemon
A master collection of stories of sadness, at least one of them I found quite disturbing, but Chekhov paints such lovely pictures with his words that I had to give 5 out of 5.
Bruce
Oct 03, 2011 Bruce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisabeth
May 14, 2012 Elisabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-stories
I'd once read Chekhov's "An Upheaval" in an anthology of great short stories and thought it was good, so one day when I was in a mood to sample something from the classics, I downloaded this collection for free on my Kindle. The first story seemed interesting to start off with, but by the ending I felt nothing at all had been accomplished except perhaps leaving the characters even more miserable than when they started out. My experience with the rest of the book mainly mirrored this one. I didn' ...more
Demelza
Oct 31, 2011 Demelza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually angry nobody told me to read Chekhov, ever (thank you crappy public schooling of the US). He's lauded as being one of the best short story writers ever - and he is. In particular, I was surprised at how well he described life. Stories about love, insanity, serious crushes and Marxist revolutionaries - somehow I could identify well with many of his characters and their thoughts, feelings, and predicaments despite the fact that he was writing about another country over a 100 years ago ...more
Athena
Classic Russian lit

The perfect book for winter. Some of the stories are short, but they all make you appreciate your own life.
k10
Jan 14, 2013 k10 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the Seagull years ago but have waited a long time since to read Chekhov. I'm not sure why other than there are always too many things to read. I picked this up on my kindle for free and really flew through the first story. It was though I was reading short stories for the first time. Each story is well crafted with its own distinct merits. There is often little or no resolution by the end of each tale. Or rather, the resolution is unfavorable and often involves death, separation, and vario ...more
Serena Liu
Mar 03, 2013 Serena Liu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was surprisingly good. The book had a lot of insightful theories, and I saw the familiarity with the film, The Reader, in the story of "An Anonymous Story." It was at the same time I was thinking about my life experience with the similar state of mind in a few stories of the book. The stories provided more realistic life philosophy than narrative or fictional theory. Every story ended with an unfinished ending, which was more close to the reality - life goes on before you die, leaving the rea ...more
Lacygnette
I still don't quite "get" Chekhov.
AHA
Dec 10, 2013 AHA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories is part of my education in plot, pacing, and stream of consciousness. My favorite was not the famous "The Lady with the Dog" though it was a real study in how to write the male perspective. I quite enjoyed "Ionitch," it was the first time an exceedingly bleak ending left me satisfied (I want to learn how to do that).
Mary Lynn
Jan 24, 2012 Mary Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been on a quest to read enough Chekhov stories to be able to understand what literary types mean when they say something is "Chekhovian". I think I get it now. Dark, cynical, ambivalent, and in his best stories: a shiny glimmer of the beauty of life sparkling underneath all that darkness.

There are several of those "best ones" in this collection.
Justin
Sep 02, 2014 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I think by now it is clear that I don't love Russian literature. I've now read Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, and now this - all considered classics, none of which I loved. I did think many of these stories were strong but it was more of a grudging respect rather than a joyful experience.
Pieter Brits
Sep 14, 2013 Pieter Brits rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chekov doesn't tell a story in the strict sense. He rather lifts the curtain and allows the reader to look into the characters' lives for a limited period of time. Despite the time passed since Chekov deliver his works we find the story characters confronted with the same challenges that humankind today still experiences.
Ambar
Chekhov has an ungodly talent to expose the human condition. And he does it with absolute brevity, in stark clarity, and with a captivating narrative. He's also equally comfortable writing a story that spans less than ten pages (The Husband) or one that stretches to close to seventy (An Anonymous Story).
Maggie
Jun 29, 2010 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
the series of tales i read include a problem, in the graveyard, love, a story without a title, the beauties. and yes they were worth the time. always interesting perspective on the human condition.
Maureen
Jan 25, 2013 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Short stories, well written ones that is, are my favorite. Chekhov delivers. His short stories may be a lesson for anyone wishing to see how it is done.
Carolyn Hammond
Oct 27, 2014 Carolyn Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good writing, good stories, but he leaves the endings to your imagination. I prefer a nice, tidy ending.
David Horton
Jun 10, 2014 David Horton rated it it was amazing
Read it slowly and deliberately. Read it twice if necessary. It is worth the challenge.
Katrina
May 02, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it
I didn't realize how much I missed fiction until I read this.
Robbie
Oct 07, 2015 Robbie rated it it was amazing
I love this translator. Chekhov is pretty great too.
Hillel Damron
Aug 12, 2014 Hillel Damron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. The Master!
Sheryl
Jun 14, 2014 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially, the stories without true endings irritated my need for closure, but as I kept reading, I started to understand his brilliance. I saw the timelessness of certain stories. I was reminded that some stories shouldn't provide closure. I am hooked.
Yulis
Jul 31, 2009 Yulis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tentang seorang lelaki yang merasa hidup yang sebenarnya adalah yang berada di alam sembunyi namun dalam waktu yang bersamaan juga menentang kehidupan tersebut.
  • The Shot
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Man of Destiny
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Hero Tales from American History
  • Prelude
  • Cthulhu Mythos Writers Sampler 2013
  • King of the Khyber Rifles
  • Tales of Troy and Greece
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...

“Forgiven? No. I am a bad, low woman; I despise myself and don't attempt to justify myself. It's not my husband but myself I have deceived. And not only just now; I have been deceiving myself for a long time.” 3 likes
“learned paupers." "It” 0 likes