Start by marking “The Tattooed Man” as Want to Read:
The Tattooed Man

The Tattooed Man

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A tale of strange adventures, befalling Tod Moran, mess boy of the tramp steamer "Araby," upon his first voyage from San Francisco to Genoa, via the Panama Canal.
332 pages
Published 1926 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Tattooed Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tattooed Man

Annie
Oct 24, 2007 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes history or exciting escapist adventure stories
This was really fun escape from reality. My copy was printed in 1929. I don't know if it is currently in print or if anything by this author is now. I'd love to read more of him, and this type of "trash" literature/ "pulp fiction." I got it when an old lady moved out from across the street. I saw the family boxing and moving stuff one summer, so I offered them to join my garage sale I was planning. They said, "please, just take this stuff and sell it yourself, we really don't want to deal with i ...more
Stephen
This is a book I remembered fondly from reading it 50+ years ago and got second-hand to give to grandsons for that reason. A re-read last year supported by memory that Pease wrote far above the literary level of "Victor Appleton" and "Franklin W. Dixon." He did for tramp steamers what Allan Villiers and Armstrong Sperry and Stephen W. Meader (to name three) did for tall ships.

This book is the first in a series about the same characters. It has mystery, not over-hyped, and authenticity. I like f
Susan
An old fashioned adventure book set at sea and San Francisco.
Bev
Who is the tattooed man? He is the cook on the tramp freighter Araby and the first man on the sailing vessel to take Tod Moran under his wing and help him find his place among his shipmates. Tod, 17 years old and not quite finished with high school, has joined the freighter as cabin boy and cook's assistant in the hopes that he can find clues that will explain the disappearance of his older brother from a freighter of the same line.

Rumor has it that Neil (his brother), who was ship's purser at t
Tom
Aug 18, 2008 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young people looking for adventure
Shelves: adventure, boys, nautical
The Tatooed Man is a boys adventure book written by Howard Pease in 1926 when most children's books were written by women. Pease considered the lack of boys books to be a serious issue and his work reflects that, sometimes misogynistic, philosophy.

The Tatooed Man is the first book to feature William Todhunter (Tod) Moran and his nautical adventures on freighters plying the ocean ways.

Tod drops out of school and signs onto the Araby sailing to Marseille in the hopes of finding out what happened t
Eric
Fun read. A reminder of childhood. Enjoy it as much now as I did then. Hard books to find but very enjoyable if you get the chance. But you must like sea adventures and mysteries to really get the full favor of the book.
Shelby
H.Pease was a friend of my parents.He named a character in one of his books after my older brother (Pat Patterson). His books were great fun for young teens, Thunderbolt House for girls and his sea stories for boys.
Robert
Adventure on the high seas like they just don't write anymore. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Helen
A classic, ripping yarn in all the best senses of the term.
Dr. A.
Dr. A. marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
SadieSparrow
SadieSparrow marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Tim Richardson
Tim Richardson marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Wandawestwind
Wandawestwind marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Mike DeJoode
Mike DeJoode marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Robert M
Robert M marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Linda
Linda added it
Aug 18, 2014
Kelsey Smestad
Kelsey Smestad marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Joshua H.
Joshua H. marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jim Donaldson
Jim Donaldson marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Gnarly Authenticity .
Gnarly Authenticity . marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Howard Pease (1894 - 1974) was an American writer of adventure stories from Stockton, California. Most of his stories revolved around a young protagonist, William Todhunter ("Tod") Moran who shipped out on tramp freighters during the interwar years. For most of his life Pease resided in the San Francisco area, e
More about Howard Pease...
Mystery at Thunderbolt House Jinx Ship Shanghai Passage The Black Tanker The Ship Without a Crew