Start by marking “The Tattooed Man” as Want to Read:
The Tattooed Man

The Tattooed Man

A tale of strange adventures, befalling Tod Moran, mess boy of the tramp steamer "Araby," upon his first voyage from San Francisco to Genoa, via the Panama Canal.
332 pages
Published 1926 by Doubleday

Annie
Oct 24, 2007 Annie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes history or exciting escapist adventure stories
This was really fun escape from reality. My copy was printed in 1929. I don't know if it is currently in print or if anything by this author is now. I'd love to read more of him, and this type of "trash" literature/ "pulp fiction." I got it when an old lady moved out from across the street. I saw the family boxing and moving stuff one summer, so I offered them to join my garage sale I was planning. They said, "please, just take this stuff and sell it yourself, we really don't want to deal with i ...more
Susan
Apr 13, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
An old fashioned adventure book set at sea and San Francisco.
Bev
Who is the tattooed man? He is the cook on the tramp freighter Araby and the first man on the sailing vessel to take Tod Moran under his wing and help him find his place among his shipmates. Tod, 17 years old and not quite finished with high school, has joined the freighter as cabin boy and cook's assistant in the hopes that he can find clues that will explain the disappearance of his older brother from a freighter of the same line.

Rumor has it that Neil (his brother), who was ship's purser at t
Michael McCue
Nov 30, 2013 Michael McCue rated it it was amazing
The sea stories of Howard Pease were among the favorites of my boyhood. A combination of adventure at sea with mysteries. I just reread The Tattooed Man. Tod Moran a seventeen year old from Stockton CA goes to sea to find his brother who has not been heard from for some time. He meets a huge tattooed ship's cook who guides him through many dangers. First published in 1926 this was one of my father's favorites as well as mine. Set at a time when ships still were run by steam with firemen shovelin ...more
Stephen
Jan 08, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
This is a book I remembered fondly from reading it 50+ years ago and got second-hand to give to grandsons for that reason. A re-read last year supported by memory that Pease wrote far above the literary level of "Victor Appleton" and "Franklin W. Dixon." He did for tramp steamers what Allan Villiers and Armstrong Sperry and Stephen W. Meader (to name three) did for tall ships.

This book is the first in a series about the same characters. It has mystery, not over-hyped, and authenticity. I like f
R.W. Clark
Oct 15, 2015 R.W. Clark rated it it was amazing
This is the classic of boy-runs-away-to-sea, and it introduces the ensemble cast that is to dominate these stories for 30 years under his hand, and considerably longer on the bookshelves of American boys. Here we find our introduction to Captain Jarvis, the steady guiding hand to generations of boys and men.

Pease's full stories were printed in American Boy Magazine and illustrated by the renowned artist Anton Otto Fischer whose graphic work was found on many covers such as The Saturday Evening P
Tom
Aug 18, 2008 Tom rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young people looking for adventure
Shelves: adventure, boys, nautical
The Tatooed Man is a boys adventure book written by Howard Pease in 1926 when most children's books were written by women. Pease considered the lack of boys books to be a serious issue and his work reflects that, sometimes misogynistic, philosophy.

The Tatooed Man is the first book to feature William Todhunter (Tod) Moran and his nautical adventures on freighters plying the ocean ways.

Tod drops out of school and signs onto the Araby sailing to Marseille in the hopes of finding out what happened t
Eric
Sep 05, 2010 Eric rated it it was amazing
Fun read. A reminder of childhood. Enjoy it as much now as I did then. Hard books to find but very enjoyable if you get the chance. But you must like sea adventures and mysteries to really get the full favor of the book.
Shelby
Aug 25, 2009 Shelby rated it really liked it
H.Pease was a friend of my parents.He named a character in one of his books after my older brother (Pat Patterson). His books were great fun for young teens, Thunderbolt House for girls and his sea stories for boys.
Robert
Mar 31, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: x2012-13-season
Adventure on the high seas like they just don't write anymore. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Connie Price e
Connie Price e rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Doc
Doc rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2009
Philip S
Philip S rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2010
James
James rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
James P. Daze
James P. Daze rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Mark Russell
Mark Russell rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Fred Mast
Fred Mast rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Ellen Young
Ellen Young rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Lynn Schweber
Lynn Schweber rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Ron Kastner
Ron Kastner rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Nadine
Nadine rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Greg Schmidt
Greg Schmidt rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Ace
Ace rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2009
Cat Rennolds
Cat Rennolds rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2017
Jerry
Jerry rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Nóinín
Nóinín rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016

Howard Pease (1894 - 1974) was an American writer of adventure stories from Stockton, California. Most of his stories revolved around a young protagonist, William Todhunter ("Tod") Moran who shipped out on tramp freighters during the interwar years. For most of his life Pease resided in the San Francisco area, e
More about Howard Pease...