Start by marking “Trick of the Mind (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #3)” as Want to Read:
Trick of the Mind (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #3)

Trick of the Mind (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Scotland Yard Detective Sergeant Jack Gibbons has been shot twice, and even after the surgery he isn’t out of the woods and may still be in danger because he can’t remember how it all happened. While his colleagues dig into his personal life, his best friend, Phillip Bethancourt, focuses on his last case,therobbery of a collection of antique jewelry valued at hundreds of t ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Trick of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trick of the Mind

Diane
Aug 24, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one! I hope she writes lots more in the series, because I'm starting her fourth one today. I have no problem recommending these to anyone. There is no bad language really, I don't get them all figured out, but I get a few things figured out so I don't feel dumb and it doesn't seem implausible. The characters are really likeable. Great book!
Xandora
Jun 27, 2015 Xandora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
Big fan of this series - started with the first one (The Young Widow) which was more than interesting enough to get me started on the second (Village Affairs) which made me really keen to start this one. This one is probably even better. Love the main characters, the twists and turns and also the absence of obscene language - it is great to have a modern day murder mystery without all the continuous swearing and explicit violence descriptions. Personally I hope Cassandra Chan writes a lot more b ...more
Anne
Jan 22, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
What happens when DS Jack Gibbons is transferred from Homicide to Arts-Theft? He gets shot in the stomach while investigating the theft of a very valuable jewel collection. What no one at Scotland Yard or Gibbons's best friend, Bethancourt, knows is whether the shooting was related to the theft and unfortunately Gibbons can't remember what he was doing the day he was shot.

For the most part, this was a very interesting read and I greatly enjoyed the way Bethancourt solved the case in the end. It
Emma
Feb 21, 2009 Emma rated it really liked it
Trick of the Mind (2008) is Cassandra Chan's third book in her Gibbons and Bethancourt mystery series (preceded by their debut in The Young Widow (2005), and Village Affairs (2006)). This book starts with the unthinkable. Detective Sergeant Jack Gibbons has been shot twice. Worse, no one knows why, least of all Jack who has no memory of the preceding events or the shooting itself.

With mere fragments, Gibbons' best friend Philip Bethancourt and Chief Inspector Carmichael try to put together the
Angela
Oct 15, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, ebooks
Trick of the Mind, the third book of Cassandra Chan's Bethancourt-Gibbons series of mysteries, was actually the first one I bought thanks to finding a hardcover copy at a local used bookstore--but I didn't want to read it till I swung back and covered the first two. I'm glad I did that, because as of the this installment, the series starts feeling to me like it's really gotten its feet under it. Jack Gibbons has been shot in the line of duty, much to the alarm of his good friend Bethancourt as w ...more
Yune
Nov 08, 2013 Yune rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm realizing how awful I am at leaving reviews for subsequent books in series. I may backtrack and review the second book, Village Affairs, at some point, but suffice it to say that this one cemented me as a fan of the series, because it begins not with the typical murder-happening-yonder setup, but rather with Gibbons -- the stalwart police detective who is one of the series' co-stars -- in the hospital, having been shot under circumstances no one quite seems to know.

Bethancourt, true to his n
Grey853
Mar 10, 2009 Grey853 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm really enjoying this detective series set in England. The two protagonist Bethancourt and Gibbons work well together to solve crimes, Gibbons as the police officer, Bethancourt as the wealthy amateur detective.

In this one Gibbons has been injured and so most of the novel is spent retracing his steps on the day of the shooting. He's got no memory, so he struggles to recall the events and recover from a serious abdominal wound.

Meanwhile, it's Bethancourt who does most of the footwork. It's dr
Susan
Aug 26, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
Phillip Bethancourt's best friend Jack Gibbons lies in the hospital, severely injured in a shooting. But no-one knows what Jack was doing in a dubious London neighborhood. He had just heard from a fellow-policeman about a murder committed several weeks ago not far from where he was shot on a rainy November night, but Jack has been working on a jewel theft for the art squad, and wouldn't have been out there investigating on his own. Or might he have had personal business in the area? Phillip and ...more
Jean
Aug 10, 2015 Jean added it
Good mystery, good police work with help from a friend
Rebecca
May 01, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Now this one was much better.
Mascanlon
A new series for me. This is the third volume, part crime story, part buddy story in the classic tradition with a modern voice of its own. A very clever plot as the best friend, Bethancourt tries to figure out how Scotland Yard detective, Jack Gibbons was seriously shot as Gibbons lays in the hospital frustrated by the memory loss.
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie added it
Shelves: british-mystery
some of it i figured out right away, but it didn't matter. she's a good writer and you enjoy just spending time with gibbons and bethancourt. and there were still enough parts that i didn't know that i still wanted to get to the end and put all the threads together.
Richard
Mar 21, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
A enjoyable book by, for me at least, a new author. As the story is set in London, and I am familiar with much of that city, I am able to visualize where the parts of the story take place. For me, that makes the story much more interesting.
Joanna
Aug 17, 2012 Joanna rated it really liked it
Such a good story. This is only the 2nd of the series I have read-the one I did read actually this one.

The story is told in a very logical and delightful manner. I'll definitely find the rest of the series and read those as well.
Robin Evans
Mar 05, 2010 Robin Evans rated it it was ok
I picked this up because I am a sucker for an english mystery. But I really didn't like the writing style. Very dry, almost entirely conversation with little descriptive language. It seemed like a chore to finish at the end.
Sharon
Jul 06, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
Better than the second book in the series but still not quite as good as the first. In this one I guessed "who done it" before I was halfway through the book, but it was still an enjoyable read. A very innocent type of book.
Jay
Jul 28, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it
Another great story by Cassandra Chan. She always has plenty of suspects to choose from, and I usually peg 2 or 3 as the murderer, before the end. I love the settings in England.
Cece
Jan 01, 2012 Cece rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Best so far. Although these are set in contemporary times (cell phones, laptops) there is a definite Golden Age aura.
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Good flow, easy read, not too predictable. Looking forward to reading the first two in the series.
Katherine
a little slow but an excellent plot and well written
Grkhoney19
Nov 13, 2008 Grkhoney19 rated it it was ok
This book was not a page-turner.
Murr
Murr marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Julie Murray
Julie Murray rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Lisa Lambert
Lisa Lambert rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Kelley Segars
Kelley Segars rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Kathleen Haines
Kathleen Haines rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
C
C rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Ginny Potter
Ginny Potter marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Calantha Ceasar
Calantha Ceasar rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cassandra Chan has published four novels, most recently A Spider on the Stairs, and several short stories featuring Gibbons and Bethancourt. She lives in Port St. Lucie, Florida.
More about Cassandra Chan...

Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries (4 books)
  • The Young Widow (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #1)
  • Village Affairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries #2)
  • A Spider on the Stairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries, #4)

“Gibbons wondered vaguely if he was becoming a morphine addict. He had certainly dosed himself into a stupid on account of the hideous pain resulting from the nurse's insistence that he get up and sit in a chair. He rather thought that being a drug addict would interfere with his career as a police detective, but that didn't seem to matter as much as it had a little while ago.” 1 likes