Start by marking “Introducing Kierkegaard” as Want to Read:
Introducing Kierkegaard

Introducing Kierkegaard (Introducing Graphic Guides)

The philosopher Kierkegaard was an extremely radical thinker - an anti-philosopher - who insisted that philosophy was a waste of time unless it permanently changed people's lives.
Paperback, New Edition, 176 pages
Published July 28th 2002 by Totem Books (first published January 14th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Kierkegaard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Kierkegaard

Bettie☯

Kierkegaard is important to my current audio book: The Denial of Death so I thought I would give this a flick through. I love this series for quick submersion into a subject.

Opening:

A Radical Change in Philosophy

For over 2,000 years, philosophers had insisted that their primary task was to establish what counted as certain and reliable knowledge. Søren Kierkegaard violently disagreed. The job of philosophy wasn't to tell us what we could know. It had to tell us what to do.

P 16: Kierkegaard undo
Dergrossest
Oct 30, 2014 Dergrossest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some might argue that this pictorial-tutorial on the philosophy of Soren Kierkegaard is a form of “Philosophy for Dummies Lite,” I must confess that I enjoyed this book quite a bit. The “father of existentialism” is a fascinating figure and the clever artwork, telling quotes, insightful text and cameo appearances of other philosophers in this little tome kept me interested and whetted my appetite for reading the subject’s actual work. I recommend that you take a “leap of faith” and try ...more
L.
Oct 20, 2016 L. rated it really liked it
I am an ultimate fangirl of Søren Kierkegaard now.
Cici
Jun 02, 2016 Cici rated it it was amazing
One may laugh at graphic books on philosophers. Then again, one can laugh at the tourists holding a flimsy map from their local hotel — except when you are the tourist, and there are much to see in this new locale. This particular “Introducing” graphic pamphlet is especially well done, combining the clarity of texts and graphics into a useful guide to Kierkegaard.

To gain understanding of Kierkegaard’s work and life is probably an arduous task. The authors of this simple and clever introduction b
Mark
Jun 19, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When your high school son takes an exceptional interest in existential philosophy--to the point of asking for Kierkegaard and Nietzchse as Christmas presents, and picking it as his college major--you'd better not get left in the metaphysical dust! I'm a big fan of Wikipedia entries for quickly gaining an overall introduction to a topic, but this helped me get to a next level. Sam bought this book at the UC Davis bookstore when he made his decision to go there, and suggested I read it, too.

Whew!
Tam Nguyen
Mar 28, 2015 Tam Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Perhaps this is my most favorite book in the whole "Introducing series." It discusses most of Kierkegaard's basic ideas and explains it well. For example, it presents Kierkegaard's life, his obsession with writings, his leap of faith, and his thoughts about life.
Rebecca Schweitzer
Oct 26, 2010 Rebecca Schweitzer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I grabbed this off the library shelf before really looking it over because I'd been wanting to learn more about Kierkegaard. I didn't expect it to be a sort of comic book where each page featured a tidbit of information and a single frame illustration usually featuring Kierkegaard himself.

As promised, the book did a good job of introducing Kierkegaard. However, it did a horrible job introducing itself. I was convinced pages were missing at the beginning because there was no forward explaining th
Daniel Wright
Philosophy seems to lend itself to being presented in cartoon form more than any other discipline. One of my favourite blogs is cartoon philosophy. This is the only such full-length book I've read though. It was informative and clear, at times entertaining, quite often a little intense - the medium of comic strip ought to dissipate the intensity of the subject, but the way these are drawn seems to make them leap out of the page and attack you somewhat. This is not all there is to know about Kier ...more
Danny Daley
Nov 06, 2016 Danny Daley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Kierkegaard fan. I love about 80% of what I understand about his teachings, and the other 20% can be corrected by later Kierkegaardians, such as Tillich and Barth. However, Kierkegaard is infamously difficult to understand, as he wrote under pseudonyms and used these false identities often to contradict one another. I've read a few introductions to his work, and only after wading through many intros does one find a way to make sense of Kierkegaard's work. I expected this to be a silly ...more
Rick Jasper Carvajal
I hate this book. I thought it's easy to understand.
Iván Leija
Una apresurada redacción que no le hace justicia a la complejidad de la filosofía de Kierkegaard. La presentación, además, es confusa: no hay alguna introducción o presentación al texto, y las ilustraciones no dejan claro cuál es la audiencia a la que está dirigido.
Ghaida
Sep 22, 2016 Ghaida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.
Yet some words & sentences were a bit difficult & i lost track.
Nathan Glenn
Feb 10, 2013 Nathan Glenn rated it really liked it
Lots of food for thought in here. Introducing books don't do the best job of explaining some difficult concepts, but there's still plenty of good material, and honestly who else is going to put Kierkegaard's entire life and philosophy into comic book form for me?

It was interesting introduction to philosophy in general. It should have been a refresher, but I didn't like the class I took that covered it :(. Kierkegaard believed that philosophy should tell ordinary people how they should choose and
Nandini Pradeep J
Aug 26, 2014 Nandini Pradeep J rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Witty, brief account of Kierkegaard's life and works.
But beware, don't expect a doctoral thesis when it clearly says it's a graphic guide. This is highly readable, especially to beginners of philosophy or theory who might be struggling with the basic concepts. Also, it would help prepare them to understand more recent works and if you're somebody with some knowledge of theory, then it'd help you to connect various crucial concepts.
All in all, it's "cute".
Lauren
Sep 02, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This so far is the best graphic guide I've read, because I love Kierkegaard and the author did a fantastic job organizing the information and presenting it graciously and accessibly. Can't wait to read Either/Or. Minus one star for the insinuation that deeply felt or complex spirituality is a mental disorder.
Hriday
Oct 02, 2015 Hriday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A very interesting yet difficult read. Thanks to all the art, the dense philosophy of Kierkegaard is made readable otherwise I might have just not taken up or given up this subject half way.

This is perhaps the best way to start reading, if not completely understanding, the esoteric and paradox-ridden philosophy of existentialism.

Mario
Jan 12, 2014 Mario rated it really liked it
special thanx must go to Oscar Zarate's illustrations as he describes as much terror/angst/guilt as Dave Robinson's text. srsly, some of the pages r terrifying, akin to the illustrations of Stephen Gammell. it delivers on its promise as an introduction, giving as much detail as needed with keen insight into the historical context of Kierkegaard's thoughts.
Mamdouh Abdullah
Jan 06, 2013 Mamdouh Abdullah rated it really liked it
بعض أجزاء هذه السلسلة تم ترجمتها من قبل د.إمام عبدالفتاح إمام. وإن لم يترجم الجزء الخاص بكيركيجارد. قيمتها ببساطتها والصور التي تقرب لك سورين عن قرب والحوارات الخاصة المذكورة بالفعل على لسانه في بعض كتب السير. مثل هذه النوعية من الكتب تصلح لترتيب الأفكار المتبعثرة وترتيبها زمنياً وحسب مسار الفكر.
Kristin Traylor
Feb 16, 2013 Kristin Traylor rated it really liked it
This book made Kierkegaard and his philosophy accessible to me because it was fully illustrated. It's fun to read - each page a couple sentences of text, and all the rest an illustration of concepts. Cool.
Fernando Navarro
Mar 01, 2014 Fernando Navarro rated it really liked it
I found this book very helpful to understand Kierkegaard. I'm not an educated in the realm of philosophy, but for different circumstances I ended up reading this book, and I found my self enjoying learning about Kierkegaard.
Jack Stephens
Oct 14, 2009 Jack Stephens rated it really liked it
A great little overview of Soren Kierkegaard's thought on philosophy (especially his views of Hegel) and Christianity. Also puts into context Kierkegaard's contributions to existentialism and post-modern philosophy.
Chiron
Dec 08, 2014 Chiron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I've been fascinated by the little I've known about Kierkegaard for a while, but found his works too difficult to get into! This was a nice primer to his life and ideas and I feel more confident that I can give Either/Or a chance now...
Andre
Dec 11, 2013 Andre rated it really liked it
A good introduction to what the man himself stood for. While this series of books doesn't give a table of contents (and hence you can't find specific sections you're looking for), it's quite readable; and in this field (philosophy), that trait is a rare one indeed.
Timothy Brown
Feb 11, 2012 Timothy Brown rated it really liked it
a great introduction to my favorite philosopher & a personal hero. "the truth shall set you free, but it will make you miserable first"
Thamrong
Sep 05, 2009 Thamrong rated it liked it
A good introduction to the existentialism written by a lonely and outcast individual....who introduced 'the leap of faith'...
Zahreen
Dec 17, 2009 Zahreen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: philosophy and religious studies majors
Shelves: academic
Kierkegaard is amazing - that's what I learned from this book - and it made me read his own writing. That's the goal, right?
David Alejandro
David Alejandro rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Madhuri
Madhuri rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Kirsche Vekuria
Kirsche Vekuria rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Pieter
Pieter rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Heidegger
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Marx for Beginners
  • Introducing Evolutionary Psychology
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Romanticism (Introducing)
  • Introducing Existentialism (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Semiotics
More about Dave Robinson...

Introducing Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 82 books)
  • Introducing Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Literary Criticism: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Alain Badiou: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Slavoj Zizek: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Existentialism (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Levi Strauss and Structural Anthropology