The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart

The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Originally published in 1902. Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. Obscure Press are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Paperback
Published February 14th 2006 by Obscure Press (first published 1753)

To ask other readers questions about The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart

Emily
It was one of the longest books I've read, but I was still sad when it ended. Richardson set out to create an interesting idealized hero and I thought he did a pretty good job - it helps that he's seen through the eyes of a sympathetic heroine and there's lots and lots of complicated angsty barriers to the main romance. It's an episotlary novel (all letters) and I enjoyed the variety of the voices and the episodic slant to the plot. Kind of like TV, 1700s style. :)
“… I can now, methinks (for the first time) a little account for those dark spirits who may be too much obliged; and who, despairing to be able ever to return the obligation, are ready to quarrel with the obliger.”

“Are we not taught, that this world is a state of trial, and of mortification? And is not calamity necessary to wean our vain hearts from it?”

“The happiness of human Life … is at best but comparative. The utmost we should hope for here, is such a situation, as, with a self-approving mi...more
Anne
This novel has both great strengths and weaknesses. The strengths are the well-written characters of Harriet Byron and Miss Grandison. Both are intelligent, witty women who are not afraid to hold their own in society. I noticed quite a few similarities in temper between Austen's Eliza Bennett and Harriet Byron ( not surprising as Austen was a big fan of this novel). Miss Grandison can be a bit over the top with her sarcasm at times, but is still an amusing character. The other side characters of...more
Judy
This is often said to be the longest novel in the English language - but Samuel Richardson's prose style is so spellbinding that it doesn't seem like it. Having said that, I didn't love it as much as 'Clarissa', because there is rather too much time spent saying how wonderful the hero and heroine are, and the story jumps around more. All the same, I'm very glad to have read it.
Richard Epstein
Come talk to me when you've finished Clarissa. Seriously. There's no point even trying this unless you've survived that. Few have. Many are called. Most hang up.
علی
نوشته اند که این رمان ریچاردسن، عکس العملی ست به رمان "تام جونز" اثر "هنری فیلدینگ" ؛ "هاریت بایرون" که توسط عالیجناب "هارگریو پولکس فن" تعقیب می شود. چون هاریت به تقاضای عالیجناب، پاسخ منفی می دهد، عالیجناب او را می رباید تا مگر دختر را وادار به همخوابگی کند. اما پس از مدتی، هاریت توسط عالیجناب دیگری به نام "چارلز گراندیسن" نجات می یابد. برخلاف "پاملا" و "کلاریسا"، چارلز گراندیسن، قهرمان این رمان ریچاردسن، مردی ست با اخلاق و وجدان، عاری از شرارت و نیات پلیدی که "لاولیس" در کلاریسا و آقای "بی" د...more
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Any chance of a Penguin existing for this brick? amazon's got a slip-cased hd @ 1704 pages, US$278.98 :: http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Grandis...

wikipedia :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hist...

FREE :: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/r/richa...

It is perhaps worse than either Clarissa or Pamela. But this one apparently is a riposte to Tom Jones which itself was a parody of Clare and/or Pam.
Meen
Aug 09, 2008 Meen marked it as probably-never-gonna-read-it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meen by: I've no idea where this one came from.
This one is quite nice. Lovely illustrations.
Lloyd Hughes
Lloyd Hughes marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Vivian Figueredo
Vivian Figueredo marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Nope
Nope marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Bawlee
Bawlee marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Rafaela Tavares
Rafaela Tavares marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Johannes
Johannes marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Wortumdrehung
Wortumdrehung marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Wiesia
Wiesia added it
May 18, 2014
Sean Sharp
Sean Sharp is currently reading it
May 14, 2014
Liz_
Liz_ marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Miss Jane Austen'...: "The History of Sir Charles Grandison, Bart." 1 2 May 05, 2014 08:49PM
Samuel Richardson was a major English 18th century writer best known for his three epistolary novels: Pamela: Or, Virtue Rewarded (1740), Clarissa: Or the History of a Young Lady (1748) and Sir Charles Grandison (1753).

Richardson had been an established printer and publisher for most of his life when, at the age of 51, he wrote his first novel and immediately became one of the most popular and adm...more
More about Samuel Richardson...
Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady Pamela. Or, Virtue Rewarded Clarissa, Or The History of a Young Lady: (Abridged Edition) Clarissa Harlowe: Or, The History of a Young Lady, Vol. 1 (of 9) Pamela : Volume 2