Start by marking “Against the Tide: The Valor of Margaret Wilson” as Want to Read:
Against the Tide: The Valor of Margaret Wilson

Against the Tide: The Valor of Margaret Wilson (Chosen Daughters)

Margaret, a young Covenanter, a stalwart for the faith, is eventually apprehended by the King s forces. She refuses to recant and is executed by drowning while tied to a stake at low tide."
Published February 13th 2008 by P & R Publishing (first published July 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Tide

Sydney
I loved this book! I really enjoyed reading about the life of Margaret Wilson. Wow, she had a tough life but she trusted God in everything. I would love to read it again sometime.
Hope came to Campbell's Point a few summers ago. She has a line of children's books about animals that are beautifully illustrated.
Natalie
Oct 29, 2016 Natalie rated it it was ok
Though the story itself is incredibly inspiring, I found the writing a bit blah and I admit I skimmed quite frequently.
Wayne S.
Feb 07, 2012 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
Margaret Wilson was a real Scottish girl who lived from 1667 to 1685, and this book of historical fiction is based upon her life and is one of the “Chosen Daughters” series which includes Wings Like a Dove by Christine Farenhorst and Dr. Oma by Ethel Herr. It is the late seventeenth century in Scotland. King Charles II has turned his back on the Scottish Presbyterians and demands that everyone accept him as the head of the Church of Scotland. Those who refuse to do so are called the Covenanters. ...more
Rebecca
Feb 02, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
When I saw the title of this book, I knew I needed it. I recognized the heroine as one of the two Margarets martyred together on the Solway Firth. I enjoyed the book very much. The author brought the period to life, and showed the fear and courage of the “killing times”, when one’s life was not much safer at home than abroad.

The book begins when Margaret was very young, and tells of the few years of maturing she had before her betrayal and martyrdom. Knowing the tragic but glorious end makes eac
Jill Williamson
Oct 15, 2009 Jill Williamson rated it really liked it
Margaret Wilson is heartbroken over the death of her friend, Finlay, who was killed by dragoons. Finlay wasn’t even going to a Covenanters meeting, but lately the dragoons have been striking first and asking questions later. King Charles II has recently taken the throne and claimed to be the head of the Church of Scotland. He demands that the people attend his churches only.

Margaret wants to take a stand for her faith, but she is afraid. Her parents are determined to attend the king’s services
Natalie Wickham
Dec 10, 2009 Natalie Wickham rated it liked it
Shelves: history, fiction
This is part of a “Chosen Daughters” series that I saw advertised and on sale through Grace and Truth Books. After reading through the synopsis and a couple of the endorsements, I decided to order the series of four books to share with my sisters as an engaging way to learn more about the history of the true Church of Jesus Christ. This book is set in 17th century Scotland and highlights the persecution the Covenanters faced because of their refusal to acquiesce to the demands of King Charles ...more
Elzbeth
Feb 23, 2015 Elzbeth rated it it was amazing
It's incredibly rare that I give any book 5 stars, but this one deserved it. This is historical fiction following the life of Margaret Wilson during the Scottish persecution in the 1600s.

There are so few good stories of historical females, but this is definitely one of them. It doesn't disappoint. Now I want to read the rest of Marston's books.
Eryn
Eryn rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Joy C.
Joy C. rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Mikailah
Mikailah rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Danielle Stanton
Danielle Stanton rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Adia Standard
Adia Standard rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Deborah C.
Deborah C. rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Ivy Rose
May 22, 2015 Ivy Rose rated it it was amazing
Very emotional book. I cried several times. :) Overall it was a worthwhile read.
Vera Kuzmina
Vera Kuzmina rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2014
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Tina Harper
Tina Harper rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Sarah Scarlett
Sarah Scarlett rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Elora
Elora rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Princess Gardener
Princess Gardener rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Schuyler
Schuyler rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Grace Mullins
Grace Mullins rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Mymcbooks
Mymcbooks rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Taylor
Jun 25, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it
Loved this!~\
« previous 1 3 next »
Hope Irvin Marston was the founder of the Black River Valley Writers Club and the founder and director of the North Country Children's Writers and Illustrators Workshop. She has taught creative writing workshops at Jefferson Community College and the Jefferson-Lewis Teacher Center for many years. She has also been on staff at Christian Writers Conferences at Hephzibah Heights (MA), Montrose Bible ...more
More about Hope Irvin Marston...

Chosen Daughters (5 books)
  • Wings Like a Dove: The Courage of Queen Jeanne D'Albret