Start by marking “Elizabeth Woodville: Mother of the Princes in the Tower” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Woodville: Mother of the Princes in the Tower

Elizabeth Woodville: Mother of the Princes in the Tower

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This is the first new account of Elizabeth's life for over fifty years and David Baldwin sets out to reveal the true story of this complex and intriguing woman. Hers was certainly a dramatic life with dizzying reversals of fortune; from poverty in 1461 to queenship in 1464, followed by deposition, restoration, and conflicts with Richard III and Henry VII before spending he ...more
Published August 1st 2002 by The History Press

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Woodville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth Woodville

Fergie
**3 1/2 stars** A thoughtful, sympathetic biography of the unfairly maligned England's Queen Elizabeth, Consort to King Edward IV from 1464 until his death in 1483. This was the famed time in English history known as the War of the Roses. Elizabeth, the White Queen of York, was wife to the first king of the Yorkist supporters. Baldwin does his best to sort through the old evidence, attempting to paint one of the most accurate portraits of the Queen to date. For most of his endeavor, I think he s ...more
Heather
I enjoyed this biography. It was a swift read, and covered most everything I already knew about Elizabeth. However, the rich finds (for me) came in the appendices. Baldwin includes some interesting material about Elizabeth Woodville (not all of it verified, he acknowledges), but excellent for historiographical purposes.

Baldwin takes a pretty hard line against Richard III (as biographers of Elizabeth Woodville tend to do, I've found) but I appreciate that he acknowledges that other players also
Marie Z. Johansen
I just got David Baldwin's "Elizabeth Woodville" from the library through inter-library loan. I am thoroughly enjoying it! Lots of great genealogy information that helps to sort out some of the complicated inter-related family lines. Mr. Baldwin also introduces lots of direct quotes from relevant documents that are, generally speaking, easier to read then I had thought they would be. Interesting to see how the language has morphed since then. Excellent book for anyone interested in the realities ...more
Stephanie Miller
I read this book hoping to get a clearer picture of Elizabeth Woodville, but i still found myself lost as to who she was. I was more caught up in the political history of the late 15th century and drowning in a list of names and found myself very confused as to who was who. I understand reliable information is scant on this topic, but i was really hoping for better.
Kelly Dowling
There is just not very muchb contemporary source material on poor Elizabeth, but David Baldwin makes some well researched guesses and it's a far more sympathetic treatment then she usually receives from biographers. Believe it or not, it seems like Shakespeare's version of the lady, plucky, intelligent, forced to make horrible decisions in a series of dangerous circumstances, may be fairly accurate. At least the populace of England seemed to like her, which is more than you can say for poor Marg ...more
Irina
Despite being a non-fiction it's easy to read and get into the topic. Though some of the statements have been discussed by later publications on the Woodville family the author makes valid points that are essential for a round observation of the subject. This is probably the most balanced view on Elizabeth and one of my favorite biographies. I came to admire her even more than I did.
Katherine
Loved this book! Not only was Baldwin thorough, but I felt that he put a lot of effort into producing the most factual account of Woodville's life and circumstances. He was comfortable to plainly state when the information just wasn't available as well as pointing out the flaws and discrepancies of other accounts. It gives me confidence in the quality and legitimacy of his work. This was a very enjoyable book to read!
Debra Cook
I really didn't like this book all that much because I wanted to learn more about Elizabeth Woodville and what I got was info on the times and her husband's fight to keep the throne. No word on if she know or thought what had happened to her sons or how she survived periods of time I already knew about from the Historical fiction book THE WHITE QUEEN. Why do authors say its on a subject but it really isn't.
Mandy Moody
Very interesting, though not the easiest to read. I don't love non-fiction, but after reading a few books with conflicting accounts of Elizabeth, I really wanted a factual basis for her personality and actions.
Baldwin does a great job of giving historical evidence of Elizabeth's personality and her actions. To me, it seems like she's been unfairly maligned by many novelists.
Nikki
Despite liking one of David Baldwin's other books, I actually found this one really really tedious. It's just a procession of facts with precious little interpretation, and nothing I hadn't gleaned from mere chapters in books like Queens Consort (Lisa Hilton). Not really recommended unless you need a painstakingly in depth study of Elizabeth Woodville.
Alice514
Would have been more enjoyable as a recreational read had it not been written as an academic/scholarly history. The author's insistence on quoting his medieval sources verbatim, without translating the Old English for contemporary readers, was pretty tiresome.
Naturally a biography of this period, 15th century, suffers from the lack of reliable sources and has to make do with guesswork and legends. Nevertheless, an interesting book with a clear intention not to be "another book about the War of the Roses".
Russamun82
A good and brief account of this ancestress of the royal family. So many novels drag her through the mud, and this clears it up a bit, though as so often with history so distant, so many questions remain. Not too much conjecture either.
Karen
An interesting read and pretty impartial for a change. Shame there is not more evidence around to explain some of the mysteries about this compex woman of her time though.
Mlg
Very historically grounded. Interesting portrayal of the families involved in the Wars of the Roses. Richard III was really EVIL!
Xenia0201
Probably the most through and only exisiting biography of Elizabeth Woodville. A must for any collector of English royal history.
Judith
Excellent biography that I felt I must read after I had finished reading Philippa Gregory's the White Queen.
Barbara Lynn Johnson
Excellent book about Elizabeth Woodville. I recommend this book.
Shawn Thrasher
A great cover - and a boring book.
Maria Thaliath
Maria Thaliath marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Terrylee
Terrylee marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Lori Osborn
Lori Osborn marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Nicole Hamilton
Nicole Hamilton marked it as to-read
Paola
Paola added it
Mar 27, 2015
Gillian
Gillian marked it as to-read
Debbie Barton
Debbie Barton marked it as to-read
Abbi Padfield
Abbi Padfield marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Kalyn
Kalyn marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Hilary Chan
Hilary Chan marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
  • Elizabeth Wydeville: The Slandered Queen
  • The Woodvilles: The Wars of the Roses and England's Most Infamous Family
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion And Treason   The Secret Wars Against The Tudors
  • Anne Neville: Queen to Richard III
  • Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty
  • Cecily Neville: Mother of Kings
  • The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England
  • Isabella and the Strange Death of Edward II
  • Richard III and the Princes in the Tower
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens
  • The Last Days of Richard III
  • The Women of the Cousins' War: The Duchess, the Queen, and the King's Mother
  • The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, Ruler of England 1327-1330
Richard III The Kingmaker's Sisters: Six Powerful Women in the Wars of the Roses The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York Robin Hood: The English Outlaw Unmasked An Atlas of Depression