Start by marking “Cocaine Confidential” as Want to Read:
Cocaine Confidential

Cocaine Confidential

Cocaine is the world’s most notorious narcotic. It underpins a vast, multi-billion pound underworld with a dark and deadly side. But who really are the shadowy people behind this chilling network? The coca farmers, the jungle sweat-shop workers, the smugglers, the suppliers, and, ultimately, the dealers who provide for the world’s hundreds of millions of users. Cocaine ...more
Published 2014 by Quercus Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cocaine Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cocaine Confidential

K. Carters
May 28, 2014 K. Carters rated it it was amazing
I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK AS A GOODREADS GIVEAWAY

Sorry for the delay in reading this, I've had the reading list from hell to contend with! I started this book this morning and read all 300+ pages in one go. It's brilliant! I loved the journalistic quality, I loved the writing and I loved the way it built up the picture of the people. My personal fav is the account of the two grannies selling coke in Spain (that has to be a risque Sunday night drama there, surely?). I actually want a few of the other
Anastasia Alén
Aug 29, 2016 Anastasia Alén rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Cocaine Confidential an interesting read, it consists of short, couple of pages long true stories that give you a good understanding about everyone in this industry: farmers, producers, wholesalers, dealers, traffickers, coke barons and also describes role of different countries.
James
Nov 17, 2016 James rated it really liked it
An interesting and easy, if somewhat tabloid read. Wensley Clarkson uses his skills and contacts to interview people all along the cocaine value chain: from labs in Panama to dealers in Spain to kingpins in the UK. He also makes very brief visits to West Africa and East Europe.

The book doesn't have an overarching narrative, other than sequentially following cocaine from origin to users. Often chapters are bridged at the very end with a brief and rather unrelated paragraph. This is more a collect
Ape
Jun 10, 2014 Ape rated it liked it
Goodreads giveaway win!

This has just completely depressed me about the state of the world and humanity. It can be a horrid place out there. And this book does nothing for the tourist trade in Spain unless you're wanting to get off your head.

This is basically about the international trade in cocaine, told through a lot of short chapters. Each chapter is some criminal's story of what's going on. Criminals bigging themselves up and sometimes trying to justify what they do. It is curious to see how
Keith
Sep 16, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it
The second half of the book was far more interesting than the first. I also felt that some of the characters would be identifiable in their communities from the info provided.
J.C. Michael
Aug 18, 2014 J.C. Michael rated it really liked it
I picked this up in a hotel lobby in Mallorca last week, which seemed quite apt since a good deal of the book takes place in and around Spain and the Balearics.

It's an interesting read which gives a number of insights into the shady world of international drug dealing. If I'm honest I felt that some of the segments were too brief, giving only a glimpse of much bigger stories. I also felt that there was a little too much emphasis on Spain when dealers in other countries, such as the UK, US, or Ne
Aggie
Aug 13, 2016 Aggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book in the GoodReads giveaway.

Cocaine Confidential is a collection of real-life stories told by individuals involved in the cocaine business. The stories made me feel like it was me talking to these people while sipping another cup of coffee. You get to meet drug dealers, drug barons, mules, smugglers, corrupted law enforcement personnel or coca farmers... And everything in the comfort of your own home :)

I like the writing style of the author, the stories are kept short, interesting,
Richard
Jun 11, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) Cocaine confidential outlines the origins of cocaine. From it's jungle beginnings to dusting the noses of the rich, famous and most powerful people in the world, Clarkson interviews key players in this lucrative trade. Every chapter is the story of one 'cog' in the cocaine machine. Although this book is a huge eye opener into this world, some chapters are rather repetitive and hence the 3.5 stars.

(Goodreads win)
Jasmin
Mar 22, 2016 Jasmin rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book as part of a First Reads giveaway.

This was actually a really interesting read which covered a whole range of characters from the many different aspects of the cocaine trade. Given how many different sources were spoken to and how much the author has tried to fit in, some of the
sections do feel a bit rushed but overall was a pretty engaging read.
Suzanne
Jan 24, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and I loved it! Fascinating reading, gives you the facts about cocaine production,and the people behind it, from the labourers sweating over the pits in the deep jungle, up to the big money men who control the industry. Told in such a way that its not at all dull, or preachy. I'm recommending this to everyone!
Sukhy Chohan
Feb 04, 2016 Sukhy Chohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating world of cocaine.

Very revealing, well researched book that tells it how it is from the horses mouth. Cocaine far more wide spread than thought, increasingly dangerous world to be in.
Ricky Somerset
Ricky Somerset rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Vanessa Tainton
Vanessa Tainton rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
La Sirene
May 05, 2016 La Sirene rated it it was ok
Interesting read but gets repetitive after a while.
Alex Snell
Alex Snell rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Lynz
Lynz rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Peter Oussoren
Peter Oussoren rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
John Benbow
John Benbow rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Quercus Books
Quercus Books rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Sarah Scott
Sarah Scott rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Stephen Juson
Stephen Juson rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Eltwatto
Eltwatto rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Steve Davis
Steve Davis rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Nathan Cassidy
Nathan Cassidy rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2015
Tasha Hough
Tasha Hough rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Ian Smith
Ian Smith rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
jason ernest phillips
jason ernest phillips rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Jnieuwen
Jnieuwen rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Neil Taylor
Neil Taylor rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2014