Start by marking “Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You” as Want to Read:
Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You

Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You

Penetrating and practical, Logic Made Easy is filled with anecdotal histories detailing the often muddy relationship between language and logic. Complete with puzzles you can try yourself and questions you can use to raise your test scores, Logic Made Easy invites readers to identify and ultimately remedy logical slips in everyday life. Even experienced logicians will be ...more
Published April 17th 2004 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Logic Made Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logic Made Easy

fondre
Jan 18, 2010 fondre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason, Type and Setting: I chose this book this non-fiction book because I have always felt somewhat frustrated with my thinking. Most of the time it feels like I know so many facts but I lack the ability to analyze information rationally and draw conclusions from there. I also have trouble trying to think on my own, and as I grow into an adult I think it is important to be able to set up logical principles in my cognition for clearer thinking. Therefore, I bought this book so that I would be ...more
Mark
Dec 31, 2013 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Guess what? Small children have trouble with certain types of logic puzzles. People intuitively care more about whether statement is true than whether it follows logically from previous statements. People don't always spell out exactly what they mean and all the terms and conditions when they tell their kids to eat their vegetables. And because of this everything is tragically flawed and can only be solved by delving into the differences between Venn diagrams and Euler's circles.

Bennett meanders
Monq
Sep 14, 2013 Monq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written introduction to Logic & it's standing history as far as it's understood in the west. The book goes more for brevity than depth but presents everything in an interesting mix of history, theory & psychological findings for what makes logic work. The study of Logic itself, whether linguistic or symbolic, is not without it's practice. If one person could read one book & understand Logic, that book is either incredible or the reader is a savant. I felt the ending wa ...more
Mark
Feb 21, 2017 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You would think that with a title like Logic Made Easy, this book would be an instructional introduction to logic, but that's not at all what this book actually is. The subtitle "How to Know When Language Deceives You" is somewhat closer to the mark, with this book being composed of about equal portions of the development of logic as a discipline and discussions of findings from studies that examine how people reason and why they fail to reason correctly so often.

The most valuable parts of this
Cain S. Pinto
Excellent history of logic, terrible philosophy of logic. For a more elaborate account of my misgivings about the philosophic tendency of this book see :

"the Sophistic turn of attaching value to thought only against what one was enabled to earn by it led many philosophers, and linguists, to develop the peculiar notion that the use of crisp formal logical laws was not amenable to normal language uses. Logic is a tool of oppression, realism is murder!, many of these cognoscenti said. Analytic ath
minhhai
Feb 05, 2015 minhhai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, science
A review on the back of the book reads "In this case, you can judge a book by its cover - or at least its title: the author makes a promise right at the start and then follows through by making logic easy for readers to understand." I completely disagree. The book has nothing to do with lessons on logic. It won't help us to improve our poor logic after all. In fact, the book is all about history and gossips of logic: how logic was invented, developed and taught. After reading the book, you'll kn ...more
Shriya
Dec 06, 2016 Shriya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I expected to be a huge fan of this but was sorely disappointed. It starts off promising, then gets tangled up in itself, then improves a teeeeny bit by the end.

The best takeaway from the book is a framework and outline of 'Aristotelian logic --> present-day logic' to use as a guide. Then go back to the cited primary sources (or logic books that are actually written well) and learn this material in a less puzzling and convoluted way.

The author didn't make up her mind between writing an access
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jul 25, 2011 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: several people
Recommended to Aleisha Z by: me
yeah, right. still not easy...but logical! the thing i most like about this book is it names all the types of logic equations, so that if i ever became logical i would know the names of the logic. words like syllogisms, disjunctions, conjunctions, negations, conditions, biconditionals, fallacies, paradoxes and fuzzy logic. the reason i gave the book a three instead of a 4 would be the lack of multiple examples for dumb people like me....or even more explicit explanations for the examples given. ...more
Sara
Jan 17, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book with the intent of enhancing my capacity for logical thought. I like that Bennett offers a history of the logical thought she explains. Most explanation is clear and useful, but in a few places explanation was not delivered in a way to make concepts clear to people unfamiliar with them (e.g., the section on Boolean logic), which didn't make logic so easy as the title suggests. As other people have noted, this book would probably be useful for someone preparing for the GRE or o ...more
Heather Pagano
Feb 03, 2014 Heather Pagano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This was pretty dense reading for me, but I did get a handle on several useful concepts. The book introduces some nuts and bolts of logic, but also gives context for what it teaches, explaining how a given topic fits into the history of logic and how the topic has practical applications for better everyday problem solving and communication. I found discussion of how language gets in the way of logical reasoning particularly interesting, and the examples of common reasoning errors were cool.
Myesha Rice
Contains a lot of History and Philosophy of Logic however it doesn't actual explain the logical methods very well. The first half was very interesting but the 2nd half was rather boring. Overall the book is worth reading but don't expect to learn a whole lot. But perhaps I feel this way because I've taken logic courses such as Discrete Mathematics.
Robert
Mar 09, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fun read although a little more rigorous than I am used to. Been reading lots of crap. But this book is very very useful in conversation and reading, especially the news these days. How to cut through faulty or untrue arguments has always been a necessity. Using logic is something reasoning people use to understand what is around them.
Stephen
Although it offered historical and psychological contexts, the book did not present the in-depth explanations of syllogistic constructs and Boolean logic that I had hoped it would. Additionally, detailed discussion of symbolic logic was near-absent. I enjoyed the book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is serious about philosophical logic beyond its applications on the LSAT or GRE.
John
This book will probably do more to make you aware of the existence of fallacies and modes of deduction than make you more adept at spotting fallacies and correctly deducing. Some history is interwoven with examples and explanations. Writing style is far from that of a textbook.
Krishna Kumar
Offers a detailed overview of the laws of logic and common pitfalls. I wouldn't say it is logic "made easy" (that would have required better presentation of the material), but overall, the book presents good concepts and interesting examples.
Dan
Nov 03, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Granted, a relatively shallow view of logic, but that's the idea: make it accessible to almost anyone. Too much detail and readers would just skip it, but make it too simple and it wouldn't be logic, would it?
Ana Wisbeck
Interesting topic. Good job on explaning basic logic.
She cites the same studies a few times throughout the book but treats them everytime like they are brand new, very odd, does she not expect you to read the whole thing?
Sharon
May 14, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually don't believe that Logic can be made exactly easy, but this book makes it more understandable. I highly recommend it to anyone who would appreciate a clearer grasp of the mistakes we make in thinking. It is not a long book, but takes quite a bit of thought to get through it.
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I marked this as currently reading because every once in a while I am ready to read it and go back to it. It makes my head swim a little sometimes and then I need to take a long break. But I really like what I have read and it is useful.
Brian Pagano
Not as rigorous as many other logic texts, but somewhat entertaining nonetheless. This book could serve a high level refresher in basic, western logic or as a palatable introduction if followed by deeper books after.
Phil
Nov 04, 2010 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't make it THAT easry.
Robert Jarve
Dec 25, 2016 Robert Jarve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introductory book to logic. Enjoyable read.
Jim
Dec 20, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Dane
May 26, 2011 Dane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is more an exposition on modern theories surrounding how humans reason incorrectly than on formal logic, but the book nevertheless is informative.
David
May 23, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Another tolerable logic book, if you can tolerate it.
Lucian McMahon
Nothing new if you paid attention in your college logic class. Accessible.
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Shirin
Shirin rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2008
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
Joseph Annunzio
Joseph Annunzio rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
  • An Introduction to Non-Classical Logic: From If to Is
  • Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics
  • Fractals: The Patterns of Chaos: Discovering a New Aesthetic of Art, Science, and Nature (A Touchstone Book)
  • Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions
  • Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition
  • Introduction to Logic: and to the Methodology of Deductive Sciences
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • The Dreaming Universe: A Mind-Expanding Journey into the Realm Where Psyche and Physics Meet

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »