Start by marking “Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You” as Want to Read:
Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You

Logic Made Easy: How to Know When Language Deceives You

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Penetrating and practical, Logic Made Easy is filled with anecdotal histories detailing the often muddy relationship between language and logic. Complete with puzzles you can try yourself and questions you can use to raise your test scores, Logic Made Easy invites readers to identify and ultimately remedy logical slips in everyday life. Even experienced logicians will be s ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Logic Made Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logic Made Easy

Mark
Guess what? Small children have trouble with certain types of logic puzzles. People intuitively care more about whether statement is true than whether it follows logically from previous statements. People don't always spell out exactly what they mean and all the terms and conditions when they tell their kids to eat their vegetables. And because of this everything is tragically flawed and can only be solved by delving into the differences between Venn diagrams and Euler's circles.

Bennett meanders
Monq
This is a well written introduction to Logic & it's standing history as far as it's understood in the west. The book goes more for brevity than depth but presents everything in an interesting mix of history, theory & psychological findings for what makes logic work. The study of Logic itself, whether linguistic or symbolic, is not without it's practice. If one person could read one book & understand Logic, that book is either incredible or the reader is a savant. I felt the ending wa ...more
Minh-Hai
A review on the back of the book reads "In this case, you can judge a book by its cover - or at least its title: the author makes a promise right at the start and then follows through by making logic easy for readers to understand." I completely disagree. The book has nothing to do with lessons on logic. It won't help us to improve our poor logic after all. In fact, the book is all about history and gossips of logic: how logic was invented, developed and taught. After reading the book, you'll kn ...more
Cain S. Pinto
Excellent history of logic, terrible philosophy of logic. For a more elaborate account of my misgivings about the philosophic tendency of this book see :

"the Sophistic turn of attaching value to thought only against what one was enabled to earn by it led many philosophers, and linguists, to develop the peculiar notion that the use of crisp formal logical laws was not amenable to normal language uses. Logic is a tool of oppression, realism is murder!, many of these cognoscenti said. Analytic ath
fondre
Reason, Type and Setting: I chose this book this non-fiction book because I have always felt somewhat frustrated with my thinking. Most of the time it feels like I know so many facts but I lack the ability to analyze information rationally and draw conclusions from there. I also have trouble trying to think on my own, and as I grow into an adult I think it is important to be able to set up logical principles in my cognition for clearer thinking. Therefore, I bought this book so that I would be ...more
Heather Pagano
This was pretty dense reading for me, but I did get a handle on several useful concepts. The book introduces some nuts and bolts of logic, but also gives context for what it teaches, explaining how a given topic fits into the history of logic and how the topic has practical applications for better everyday problem solving and communication. I found discussion of how language gets in the way of logical reasoning particularly interesting, and the examples of common reasoning errors were cool.
Robert
Pretty fun read although a little more rigorous than I am used to. Been reading lots of crap. But this book is very very useful in conversation and reading, especially the news these days. How to cut through faulty or untrue arguments has always been a necessity. Using logic is something reasoning people use to understand what is around them.
Aleisha Z Coleman
Jul 25, 2011 Aleisha Z Coleman rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: several people
Recommended to Aleisha Z by: me
yeah, right. still not easy...but logical! the thing i most like about this book is it names all the types of logic equations, so that if i ever became logical i would know the names of the logic. words like syllogisms, disjunctions, conjunctions, negations, conditions, biconditionals, fallacies, paradoxes and fuzzy logic. the reason i gave the book a three instead of a 4 would be the lack of multiple examples for dumb people like me....or even more explicit explanations for the examples given. ...more
Sharon
I actually don't believe that Logic can be made exactly easy, but this book makes it more understandable. I highly recommend it to anyone who would appreciate a clearer grasp of the mistakes we make in thinking. It is not a long book, but takes quite a bit of thought to get through it.
Dan
Granted, a relatively shallow view of logic, but that's the idea: make it accessible to almost anyone. Too much detail and readers would just skip it, but make it too simple and it wouldn't be logic, would it?
Sara
I bought this book with the intent of enhancing my capacity for logical thought. I like that Bennett offers a history of the logical thought she explains. Most explanation is clear and useful, but in a few places explanation was not delivered in a way to make concepts clear to people unfamiliar with them (e.g., the section on Boolean logic), which didn't make logic so easy as the title suggests. As other people have noted, this book would probably be useful for someone preparing for the GRE or o ...more
Stephen
Although it offered historical and psychological contexts, the book did not present the in-depth explanations of syllogistic constructs and Boolean logic that I had hoped it would. Additionally, detailed discussion of symbolic logic was near-absent. I enjoyed the book, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is serious about philosophical logic beyond its applications on the LSAT or GRE.
Lucian McMahon
Nothing new if you paid attention in your college logic class. Accessible.
John
This book will probably do more to make you aware of the existence of fallacies and modes of deduction than make you more adept at spotting fallacies and correctly deducing. Some history is interwoven with examples and explanations. Writing style is far from that of a textbook.
Cindy
I'm not sure why I picked this up - most likely because I know nothing about logic and this looked like a good introduction. I got lost in a few parts, but mostly it was friendly and easy to understand. Can't say it's changed my life, but was a nice detour. (March 10, 2007)
Heather the Hillbilly Banjo Queen
I marked this as currently reading because every once in a while I am ready to read it and go back to it. It makes my head swim a little sometimes and then I need to take a long break. But I really like what I have read and it is useful.
Ana Wisbeck
Interesting topic. Good job on explaning basic logic.
She cites the same studies a few times throughout the book but treats them everytime like they are brand new, very odd, does she not expect you to read the whole thing?
Brian Pagano
Not as rigorous as many other logic texts, but somewhat entertaining nonetheless. This book could serve a high level refresher in basic, western logic or as a palatable introduction if followed by deeper books after.
Dane
This was a fun read. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is more an exposition on modern theories surrounding how humans reason incorrectly than on formal logic, but the book nevertheless is informative.
Viswanath
Very good to understand how to apply logic in day to day life
David
Another tolerable logic book, if you can tolerate it.
Phil
Didn't make it THAT easry.
Brian Connelly
Brian Connelly marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Eli Mackenzie
Eli Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
David Rios
David Rios is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Peter Kutchen
Peter Kutchen marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
  • Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic
  • The Artful Universe Expanded
  • Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them
  • The Oxford Companion to Philosophy
  • Unknown Quantity: A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra
  • How to Prove It: A Structured Approach
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • Major Works: Selected Philosophical Writings
  • Plato: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Essential Tension: Selected Studies in Scientific Tradition & Change
  • Free Will: A Very Short Introduction
  • Utilitarianism and Other Essays
  • The Last Sorcerers: The Path from Alchemy to the Periodic Table
  • Logic For Dummies (For Dummies (Math & Science))
  • Making the Social World: The Structure of Human Civilization