Start by marking “Counting Stars” as Want to Read:
Counting Stars

Counting Stars

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,330 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Jane was hoping for a date - maybe even a boyfriend. What she wasn't expecting was Paul Bryant's completely original and sincere pick-up line: Hi. I'm Paul. I have terminal cancer. My wife was killed in a car accident, and I'm looking for a woman to raise my children.
Published January 1st 2007 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Counting Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Stars

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
505 books — 452 voters
Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonCourt of the Hawk by Debbie  PetersonSeeking Persephone by Sarah M. EdenDrops of Gold by Sarah M. Eden
LDS Romance
344 books — 333 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth Pearson
Mar 18, 2013 Beth Pearson rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Beth by: Dorry Lou
Shelves: lds-fiction
For an LDS author, I'm giving it 5 stars. The story was interesting & kept me guessing as to what was going to happen. Of course, some things you guessed yourself, but there were choices along the way and often you weren't sure what was would happen. I stayed engrossed the whole time.

My only gripe is my frequent one with LDS stories...how everyone has to be a virgin. A 34 year old man, never married, not LDS or even religious, drinks alcohol (and gets drunk at times), good looking, done the
Kelly Oram
Dec 20, 2009 Kelly Oram rated it liked it
I thought this book had some very strong qualities. I liked the characters very much. They were enough to keep me reading. I also was never sure quite how this tale would unfold. If not for that, though, I don't think I could have finished it. By the end I was having a hard time turning the pages. Melodrama isn't quite the right word. This book was all the jaw-dropping season finale moments of every season of every daytime soap opera since the beginning of television all rolled into one book--bu ...more
Jon
Jun 03, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jon by: Cheryl
Shelves: lds-romance
I knew going into this book that it would be difficult for me, as romance is really not my genre. I want to write, though, and have been told that I need to read, and read outside of my usual scope in order to be a better writer. This one had two things going for it up front - it won a Whitney Award and someone I knew recommended it to me.

The writing is excellent - it's very easy to read and doesn't pull you out of the story to puzzle at odd word choice. (Except once, where "we were" was contrac
AnnaMay
Nov 10, 2009 AnnaMay rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for LDS Romance (the good ones...some aren't very well-written, in my opinion). This is as god as it gets. Yes, some of the introductory scenerios are a little dramatic and far-fetched, but sometimes that's exactly what I need. This had me laughing, crying (sobbing, for that matter), and I couldn't put it down. It was that time of the month, so I'm sure my raging hormones and tough week had something to do with my devouring this novel in one sitting. :)
Mindy
Sep 03, 2012 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Michele is such a talented author. I was immediately drawn into this book. Very like able characters. Lots of heart and humor. I loved Jane's sister Caroline.
Heather
Oct 07, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction, series
This is not your average romance, and I loved it for that reason. Some really serious issues are a part of the book, but the author handled it with dignity.
Ranee
Feb 13, 2013 Ranee rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Great characters & story line.
 Mummy Cat Claire
This was a book club pick. I've never read anything by this author before. I liked this book but I wasn't gaga about it.

"I think, maybe...Can we start again? he asked, stopping in front of her. He didn't wait for a reply. Hi. I'm Paul. I have terminal cancer. My wife was killed in a car accident and I'm looking for a woman to raise my children. He extended his hand. Jane hesitated for the mererst second before a smile broke out over her face and she put her hand in his. I'm Jane."

Intriguing, ri
Carli Anderson
Jul 07, 2015 Carli Anderson rated it it was amazing
Imagine falling in love with someone you know is going to die, and having them ask you to pick up the pieces of their life after they are gone. Now imagine that 'picking up the pieces' means taking care of his preemie twin babies. That's what happens to Jane in "Counting Stars", by Michele Paige Holmes.

Jane has nearly given up on love, but in a half hearted attempt to give love one last chance she decides to answer an ad in the wanted pages that simply says, "Seeking kind, loving woman to be the
Karen
Mar 10, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
"Jane was hoping for a date - maybe even a boyfriend.What she wasn't expecting was Paul Bryant's completely original and sincere pick-up line: Hi.I'm Paul.I have terminal cancer.My wife was killed in a car accident,and I'm looking for a woman to raise my children."
Jane Warner never planned to fall in love with a dying man and his two children when she answered an add in the personals. However, as her maternal instincts kick in and Paul suddenly dies she is left with joint custody of Madison and
Emily Beeson
Apr 25, 2008 Emily Beeson rated it really liked it
I don't read very much LDS fiction anymore, but I picked this one up because it won a Whitney award for best LDS Romance from 2007.
I enjoyed reading it, even if it seemed a bit typical. I don't know what it is that makes the LDS romances all seem so similar to one another, but I feel like if you have read 10 of them, you've pretty much read them all.
I'd love to be wrong, though.

Anyway, like I said, I enjoyed Counting Stars.

A woman answered a personal ad on a dare. She thought she was going on a
Jul 12, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. From my perspective, it
seemed a bit atypical for the genre in which this novel
would be classified.

Firstly, the primary protagonist is older than most female
leads in novels of this type. Jane is 30 years old, and her
six siblings are all married with children. The male leads
in the story are also in their 30's.

Secondly, Jane answers a personal ad placed by a recently
widowed father who has been left to fulfill the dying
wishes of his deceased wife. That being, that he
Angela
May 20, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
It's about a single woman looking for love who answers a personal ad. The man turns out to have terminal cancer and is looking for someone to be the mother of his premie twins after he dies, as his wife died in a car accident that precipitated their early delivery.

It is sad in parts, especially the beginning, but the story does get a lot happier, which surprised me. As I was reading I just kept wondering how in the world it could end well.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was written well and t
Alicia Stringam
Jan 16, 2015 Alicia Stringam rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The plot is extremely sad and seemingly gets worse to the point where there is no way for the characters to get their way through it and definitely no happy ending. However, it dose end in a very beautiful way. IT. IS. A. PAGE. TURNER. It always keeps you guessing from the start!

One slight thing that I was disappointed with: the author has slightly poor organization and description. She is non descriptive of the some of the characters feelings. I would have liked to see more a
Jenny
Feb 06, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
My mom has been recommending books to me out of their LDS Fiction collection and handed this one to mne the other day. When I read the back of it I seriously groaned. It looked like the most stupid book I had ever seen and I was baffled as to why she would pick it. Not only that, but it was longer than the others - so it seemed like a real time waster.

I decided that this was good - it would slow down my reading pace and bring me back into the real world for a while. And I would eventually get th
Kassidy Creason
Sep 05, 2015 Kassidy Creason rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing and crying! I loved the story line and loved how the author made me sympathize with every character.
Jane is a simple woman who wants to find love and start a family. As she is in the hospital with her sister who had just had a baby, she falls in love with twin babies who are in the NICU and later meets their father Paul.
Paul has terminal cancer and his wife died in a car accident. He finds himself in a situation of having to find his children a "family" before he passe
Natalie
Sep 01, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
I read this during in the jury assembly room all.day.long. I was grateful for a good book to get me through it! (And grateful that we were dismissed at the end of the day!)

It's an LDS Christian book and it's actually pretty good. It has an interesting premise: almost 30-year-old woman answers singles ad for a terminal cancer dad who just lost his wife and needs a mother for his twin preemies babies. The book pulled on my heart strings and I had to hold back the tears at points in the jury room ;
Chanae
This book did not connect with me. I found this book to be totally predictable, filled with drama that was tragic and yes, heartwrenching, but the storyline was just not believable for me. I found it very hard to keep reading through to the end. And the other storyline about Jay seemed to me very unnecessary and uninteresting - I'm surprised that this character is getting a novel all to himself in the sequel to this one. I did not enjoy it but I know others who have. If you love Rachel Nunes or ...more
Melanie
Nov 15, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
I was drawn into this book right off, not your a-typical romance novel. I fell in love with Jane and felt her emotions throughout the book, she was selfless and only wanted to be loved and how that came to be was pretty thrilling and chilling. I did give this book only 3 stars because I thought that there were to many lows and without giving anything away the last loss was not needed in my opinion, I dislike when authors put "to" much in a book, the best books are those we can relate to and this ...more
Sep 11, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
The female lead was believable and likable, and the story line was unusual and compelling. Overall, I'd say if you like LDS romances in general, then there's no reason you wouldn't like this novel.

There were a couple aspects of the story that rubbed me the wrong way. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll just say that 1.) the real estate transaction towards the end was not only unromantic, but ridiculous, and 2) that issues surrounding legal guardianship versus adoption/sealing were not su
Connie
Jun 03, 2010 Connie rated it it was amazing
I didn't have to have time to get into this book. It started out from page one to be one of those you don't want to put down. It was captivating all the way through. The last couple of chapters I was not happy with how things were turning out, but I stuck with it until the end and was glad that I did. It was a book that had you guessing as to what turns it was going to take. It was sad in parts, so if you don't want to cry, don't read it. It brings out alot of emotion. Good book. Good writer.
Joey
Jul 04, 2008 Joey rated it it was ok
The story itself was good, but the religiousness (a word?) was awkward. I knew once I figured out it was an LDS book I was going to have religion shoved at me, but I felt bad that it was so awkwardly applied to the story. The LDS aspect was as expected, but I really think the book would have been better without it being so in your face. The story did need the religious impact. I respect and appreciate that, but for me it was written in a far too cumbersome fashion...like oh ya i gotta put this s ...more
Oct 13, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
I would love to give this book another half a star. I really enjoyed it, much to my surprise (not that I doubted Michele's abilities as a writer; I was suspicious of the genre). This was the first LDS fiction book I'd read in years, and I thought it was one of the few I'd ever read in which the characters felt like real people experiencing authentic, if overwhelming, events. The LDS aspect is woven throughout the book, but it is not as heavy handed as others in the genre. I applaud Michele for h ...more
Susan
Apr 27, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
I really liked this! It was one of those books that grabbed me and I had a hard time putting it down. Although bits of it were predictable, I didn't know what to expect most of the time, even knowing who would end up with who, and how things would come together. Wow, quite the story. I appreciated the "good things wait for those who wait" theme, and that things don't always go down the way you plan for them to, but the Lord's way is better anyway. Fun read.
Rachel
Feb 20, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
I am a bit picky with LDS fiction, but this was pretty good. It has a very interesting storyline with compelling characters. I liked that the author allowed the story to develop even though the end was a bit rushed. It made me think because of the unique family situation and I really enjoyed reading it. If you're in the mood for an easy read to transport you into someone's difficult life with a happy ending then this is for you!
A. R.
Feb 16, 2009 A. R. rated it it was amazing
For LDS fistion I thought this was great. The religion element wasn't too heavy handed. The resolution was a bit of a surprise although I worried that it was going to be too contrived. I loved the characters and am looking forward to the sequel which will follow one of the minor characters who would have had no purpose in the story if we didn't find out what happens to him. Would reccomend it to everyone.
Michelle
May 19, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Kristyn
Apr 16, 2009 Kristyn rated it it was amazing
I found this book randomly in the library and I LOVED it! It was funny, witty, sad, and a great romance novel for the LDS market. Great characters, touching story, and I must admit I own nearly every romance movie she talks about in the book. I plan to read it again before I take it back.
I do hope she eventually comes out with a sequel for Jay since you wonder why his character is even in the book in the first place.
Karen
Mar 04, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I read this book, so it was almost like reading it for the first time. About the only thing I remembered about it was that it was really good. And I loved it reading it again. It is definitely a story that pulls at your heart strings, a book you think about even when not reading it. The characters are very well-developed and grow throughout the course of the novel. I look forward to reading the sequel.

Content: Clean
Maren
Aug 14, 2013 Maren rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
  • Hazardous Duty (Duty Series, #1)
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • The Icing on the Cake
  • Finding Paradise
  • Cross My Heart
  • Macady
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • Heart of a Hero
  • Echoes
Michele Paige Holmes spent her childhood and youth in Arizona and northern California, often curled up with a good book instead of out enjoying the sunshine. She graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in Elementary Education and found it an excellent major in which to indulge her love of children's literature.

She is the author of nine published romance novels, which include books in
More about Michele Paige Holmes...

“...As for having him only while on earth... that IS how it stands now, but don't give up. He's a really good person, Jane. And he loves you... You've got to have a little faith -- And keep dreaming. Some happy endings just take a little longer and are harder to come by.” 2 likes