We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families

We Belong Together: A Book About Adoption and Families

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In a kid-friendly, accessible way, this book explores the ways that people can choose to come together to make a family. It's about sharing your home and sharing your heart to make a family that belongs together.
Published November 1st 2007 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Andrea Webster
As an adoptive mom, I was SO disappointed in this book! I love The Family Book and It's Okay to be Different and others by Todd Parr, so when I saw that Todd Parr had written a book on adoption, I rushed right down to my bookstore. But, meh, I didn't like the message of this book at all. It is all about the child needing something, and the adoptive parent(s) providing it: "You needed a home... and I had one to share," "You needed someone to say 'I love you'... and we had love to give." For our f...more
I brought this home from the library to read to my son and promptly hid it from him so he wouldn't hear what this book has to say : "you needed a lot of things, and we were able to provide them to you". That is not the message we want to portray to our child. He should not be instructed to feel lucky - we all are.
Kelly
I didn't like how he made it seem as if the adopted child was the one who was "saved." Not true!
Amy Rogers
I gave this book to my daughter, on her Adoption Day.

This is a wonderful book for a child who is adopted from the Foster Care system. The stick figure children all look to be different ages. There is no talk about picking up a baby, or taking a plane to get the child, like there is in so many adoption themed childrens books.

Alexis Waltemeyer
We Belong Together written by Todd Parr is a beautifully written book about families. It starts off with "We belong together because you needed a home and I had one to share". Each different section has a sentence starting with "We belong together because" and ends with something that the family can give to the child. Such as, "We belong together because you wanted to learn and we had lots to teach you." The ending says "We belong together because you needed someone to say "I love you" and we ha...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Although WE BELONG TOGETHER is geared towards adoptive parents and their children, any family can benefit from reading the book, especially if done so together. Although I've read some negative reviews about the book, statements made that it gives the wrong message to adopted children, I don't think that's the case at all.

Both of my children have, at one time or another, asked why they were our kids and not someone elses. How is it that we became their...more
Hlee Moua
After finish reading "We Belong Together" I almost cried. It is because this book shows the truth about being wanted and that you're never alone. There will always be someone who care and love you and I think every child needs to know that. Also this books shows the diverse of the different families. Now just the meaning of the book was great but also the art as well. It was simple but yet the characters are not the same color but rather different colors showing the differences in the family. I...more
Johna Brown
This story is geared towards adopting and families. Todd parr does a great job with this story, as he show how all children need a family and a home. As a teacher, I would have this story in my classroom library. I want each of my students to be able to explore the library and choose a story that interest them and relates to them. I would read this story to my students to show that everybody needs a family. I would explain the different types of families and allow students to speak on any relate...more
J-Lynn
Dedicated to “all the children in the world that need a home and family,” adults are encouraged to read the book with “someone you love” and are told to change the pronouns so that the book best fits their family. The book is illustrated like all of Todd Parr’s creations with simple cartoons in solid colors and shows all types of adopted families including ones with two moms and two dads. The parents and children are of all types of color combinations. The book shows adopted families doing vario...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from our local library this week.

I liked that this was a book about adoption. My son is not adopted, but all of his fur-siblings have been. We were able to alter the text slightly to make it fit our family, and I really liked that. Whatever your family situation, this is a very positive, happy book.

The illustrations are typical Todd Parr illustrations, which means that my son loves them, and I do not.

Actual rating: Text, five stars; illustrations, thr...more
Beth Chandler
A delightful book to assure very young adopted children that they belong with their "forever family" with sentences like: "You needed someone to hug you, and we had hugs to give."

Parents and children are delightfully diverse, of a variety of different colors (brown, purple, blue, yellow and so on, in Todd Parr style), hairstyles, ages and genders.

I nabbed this one just in case it goes out of print by the time we have a child old enough to read it to--though I hope this book will be around for a...more
Thorn MotherIssues
Both adults in the family have huge qualms about the overall message and some of the specific ways it's presented, but the newly adopted 4-year-old loves it, and it's geared toward her. "You needed a lot of things and we were able to give them to you" is far from the totality of her adoption story, but it is admittedly one piece and the piece this book addresses. And it's nice that the lesbian couple seems to be interracial like us, something we don't get to see in a lot of children's books.
Katey
CIP/Summary: A book about adoption and what makes a family.

Todd Parr uses brightly colored and childlike illustrations to describe all the reasons why a family belongs together, "because you needed someone to kiss your boo-boos and we had kisses to give...you needed someone to read to you and we had stories to share." This book is geared towards ages 4-8, but uses simple language to describe family in terms that all readers can understand and identify with.
Positivley reviewed in SLJ.
This is good for families who have adopted children AND for everyone else. Sometimes biological children have the same question: WHY am I in THIS family? (at least I know my own daughter has sometimes wondered that!) The short answer is that we each have something special to give. My favorite line: "We belong together because...you needed someone to read to you and we had stories to share."

The artwork is classic Todd Parr - bright, childlike, and charming.
Tammie
A wonderful book on the topic of families. Bright colors and simple illustrations make it a great book for pre-school and early elementary chilren. Simply written conveying what makes a family. I would read this to pre school children in my classroom. It would be a good book for early readers as the text is simple. It looks at families from a young person's eyes.They will really relate to this book.
Kristin King
Very sweet telling of why we belong together showing the child's needs (e.g. home, kisses, friend) and how the family had these to give. Illustrations all bright engaging colors with people of different colors (e.g. yellow, purple, green faces) showing diverse families. My four year old adopted son talked and pointed during the read and my nine year old son happened by and stayed listening till the end.
Codie Gates
Such a sweet story about adoption and fitting it. Todd Parr does a fabulous job writing and illustrating this book. His illustrations are simple and fun. One of my favorites is the cat driving a "dog catcher" van. One point I have is that this book seems to be more of a one way street. The kids need something and the parents provide it. I believe that the parents need love and those things too.
Jennifer Conrad
Todd Parr is so awesome. I love how the families are so very different--some are 1 mom and 1 dad, some are just a mom or just a dad, some are with grandparents and a parent(s), some are with 2 moms or 2 dads, some are with gender-ambiguous parents. AND, the parents aren't all the same color as each other or as the child. This was perfect to read over and over with our adopted child. He loved it.
Rachel
This was a great little picture book about adoption and families. It was also just about belonging and the ways we belong to each other.
Chloe Jackson
We Belong Together is a cute story with great pictures about how families come together and the different things that each family can bring to a child. I would read this story to pre-k children because the story is simple and easy to grasp. For a lesson, I could have each student draw a picture of their family and have them draw things that represent why they love them.
Esther
Haven't read this one yet but I hope to get my hands on it since I really like the other Todd Parr book and this one is more likely to fit more to my purposes.

Okay just finished reading it. I was a little disappointed...thought the family book was better but still a good pick that will probably make it onto the final list of books that I will be using.
Karen
My son has a habit of randomly grabbing books off of the shelf at the library which makes for some interesting reads. This is the reason we ended up with a book specifically related to adoption. It's a cute book and I would recommend it even if the subject matter has nothing to do with you because what is true in adopted families holds true for any family.
Holly
May 18, 2010 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: blended families, legal guardians, stepparents, nontraditional families
An emotionally sensitive book about how diverse families can be. Wonderful story. As a legal guardian of my 13 year old niece, this has been a great one to read to my 2.5 year old son and my niece...a great way to talk about how our family may look different than other families.
Emelda
I LOVE Todd Parr. He's amazing, optimistic, progressive, positive... this book is simple enough for the youngest child to comprehend ("you needed a family and we needed a child" is the theme) and shows all sorts of families- multi-generational, single parent, interracial, queer and more!
Miley Smiley
Subgroup: Family; adoption

Genre: Easy picture

Synopsis: A story about how to be a family, all you need is love and someone to share it with.

6.) Parr, T. (2007). We Belong Together; A Book About Adoption and Families. New York, NY: Hatchette Book Group.
Breanna Mcalister
This is a fiction children's book about adoption. This book is good to use with 5- 6 year old children, to teach them that all families are different. The illustrations are very colorful and will keep the child's attention.
Rona
I love all of Todd Parr's books so far. My mom and I have bought most of them for my son - and we love them just as much as he does! Adults could learn an awful lot from reading these!
Rachel
I found this while looking for adoption books to read with the kids. I loved the colorful artwork and the simple words, which so perfectly convey why we chose adoption.
Jillian
Horrible artwork and not a fan of some of the messages this one gave. A Mother for Choco is still the best adoption children's book I've come across.
Becky H.
Jul 02, 2008 Becky H. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children involved with adoption
Shelves: 2008, picture-books
Cute book with the traditional "Parr" illustrations. Good for all families not just about adoption. Lesson learned it takes love to make a family.
  • The Red Thread: An Adoption Fairy Tale
  • 10,000 Dresses
  • King and King
  • Please, Baby, Please
  • Stretch
It's Okay to Be Different The Family Book The Peace Book Reading Makes You Feel Good The Daddy Book