Start by marking “What Comes After Crazy” as Want to Read:
What Comes After Crazy

What Comes After Crazy

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Fast-paced, warm, and laugh-out-loud funny, What Comes After Crazy chronicles a quest for normalcy that nearly drives a woman nuts.

Maz Lombard craves a nice, quiet life—and who can blame her? Having grown up as the daughter of Madame Lucille, “Fortune Teller to the Stars,” she spent her Southern childhood traveling from town to town, wondering which of the many men her mo
Published March 8th 2005 by Shaye Areheart Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What Comes After Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Comes After Crazy

Apr 11, 2009 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
It took 28 chapters for me to find sympathy for the main character, Maz. Most of her problems stem from her own lack of standing up for herself and what she needs, let alone wants. Her crazy mother, filandering soon to be ex husband, her snotty 10 year old daughter (whom I wanted to smack even more than Bella in "Twilight"), and a whole cast of characters do come together to make a pretty good book, although I failed to see why this book was "funny, funny, funny" as one reviewer put it, or "hila ...more
Light, funny, & entertaining read. This was fun to listen to while driving to and from work.
I purchased this book without a dust jacket or description because of its appealing orange and green hardcover. It turned out to be a fun read. I guess this could be categorized as chic-lit. We enter the crazy life of Maz who grew up adoring her fortune telling mother. Now, a mother herself, Maz finds flaw with the way she was raised and is trying to do better by her two little girls.

When she finds herself on her own because her husband left town, maybe for good, Maz tries to navigate the world
What would it be like to have a mother like Madame Lucille? She’s beautiful, and entertaining, and she can tell fortunes. Maz doesn’t think it’s so great having a psychic as a parent. After all, her childhood was practical a nightmare because of her mother. She would leave Maz alone when wanted to be with a man, and that was pretty often. She tried very hard to be a good girl so that her mother would not leave her, but nothing ever really worked. Now Maz has two daughters of her own and she stay ...more
This is a humorous take on what in other hands could have been a serious subject. Mas just wants to have a normal, loving family. She has a job, friends, and two young daughters. Unfortunately she also has a philandering husband who has high-tailed it to Arizona and isn't likely to return anytime soon, and an outlandish and self-absorbed mother who always seems to turn up at the most inopportune moments. With a mother as narcissistic and clueless as Madame Lucile, Mas' fortune-telling mama who m ...more
This has been on my Goodreads shelf since 2007. I'm not sure why it came to be in my possession, but I finally got around to reading it.

My sluggishness in choosing it proved to be true as I read it too. I decided to give up on it several times, but just kept going. It went on vacation, and didn't get touched. But I finally finished it today.

Memorable? No. The reviews on the back promised lots of laughs, and I don't think I even chuckled. It was a quirky book about a very quirky family, sure, bu
Maz is a woman that wants a nice, normal quiet life, because she never had one as a kid. When that life bored her husband, he left her. She kept looking for nice, normal and quiet, but she never quite found it. Because what she realized is she is not that person on her own. She has her own pizzazz that attracts people. She doesn't have to have the crazy way of her ex husband and her mother, but she doesn't have to be boring either. I got that out of the book, but the story has this round about w ...more
Sometimes I thought the main character was ridiculous with the choices she made, and other times I understood. In the end, she takes charge of her life and stops being a victim to the family & friends that make her crazy.
The librarians forced this one on me when I checked out Hissy Fit. I've never had librarians do that before so I took the book. There is ALOT of language and sexuality in the book. If you get past that the story is pretty funny. The poor lady has a very messed up family. There is no really example for her to follow for a healthy relationship but she seems to somewhat make a good life for her two daughters and herself in the end. I love the grandpa figure in this book. Other than that I spent mos ...more
Lula Chipman
I enjoyed this one. Sounds like my life some times
This story was about a woman coming into her own identity--becoming her own person separate from how she identifies herself because of their actions. Maz, mother of two small girls, and wife to a lousy guy, figures out over a few months, that she can really take care of herself--even amid all the wild curveballs her family throws her. The story is a good one that after awhile, our lives really are about us, and what we make of them after all. There were a few really good lines in this book. Prob ...more
This book really didn’t leave much of an impression on me. It was light, and pretty good overall, I guess - nothing really bothered me, or stuck out as being awful. But, nothing really stuck out as being all that wonderful, either. It was fairly entertaining, but just missing that certain je ne sais quois that makes a book genuinely great. It was fast and fun, and there were some truly amusing parts, so it succeeded in being a solid piece of escapism - it just wasn’t the type of book that I woul ...more
Light entertainment which kept me amused.
CMac G
Sorry but didn't like this. Stupid and silly. Pretty much a waste of time. The main character/author ridiculously overreact to minor things; idiotic scenarios. Gratuitous foul language. I did finish it but I wonder why.

Synopsis: Young woman deals with her failing marriage and raising her two kids. Tales of her job, daycare, dating, and her family especially her oldest daughter, her eccentric psychic mother and her ex-husband.
This book was decent. Not great, not horrible.

The main character's mother's accent & antics drove me so crazy that I almost didn't want to read anymore at certain times, but I kept soldiering through it.

The ending left a little to be desired, but I guess sometimes it's good for an author to leave us wondering what comes next.

Maybe decent for a beach read, or something to take on the plane, but not a book i'd necessarily reccommend to my friends to read.
I am having trouble getting off the ground with this book because so far I have no sympathy for a weak lead female character. The way she just lets her child dictate her life and do nothing about it is just plain ridiculous. Anyone, regardless of how nice they are will eventually remind the child that they are to do what they are told at some point. So far the lead character in this book has neither spine, nor personality. I may have to call it quits with this one.
"Lead character, Maz Lombard, wants a ""normal life"" - but then who doesn't? She's the daughter of a fortune teller, married to an oaf who thinks he's a shaman; He leaves her and her two small daughters in the northeast to venture out to Santa Fe and then just about the time she thinks she's getting it together; he returns as does her fortune teller mother with wife # 5 (or is it #6)'s a delightful tale of finding oneself in the strangest way and places."
This book is a little uneven, and the ending is not as satisfying as I would have liked. The author spent too much time on the fleeting physical affair, and neglected some of the more interesting characters. She threw in a little marital discord for the main character's best friend, but then resolved it in a single sentence. This is a fine first novel, but I don't think I will be adding it to my personal library.

A humorous novel about the messiness of life and learning to cope with eccentricity. Maz is a newly single mother, dealing with her fortune-teller mom Lucille, her snotty and also possibly psychic daughter Hope, and the perils of a love life that was complicated before her estranged, cheater husband came back.

full review at
I gave up on this book about 50 pages into it. Not that it was bad, it just didn't keep my attention. Maybe I'll go back to it at another time.
It was a good book. Something to pass the time. In some parts in goes on and on about how the mother was while the child was growning up. I know it helps us understand why the daughter is the way she but in places it was just too much. I don't know why the mom didn't go to rescue her daughter sooner. As a mom, I would have called the cops and got my kid back yesterday.
Actually quite a funny tale of life's craziness coming at you from all sides - at once! Maz is the daughter of a fortune teller who has a daughter and a strange x-husband. This crazy tale takes you through Maz trying to set a straight line through a maze of chaos. Not the most impressive writing, but it certainly had its moments of entertainment.
I did not get past the 3rd or so chapter in this book. Nothing about it interested it me. The older daughter was a pain in the behind, and just annoyed me. The mother did nothing about it. Not liking it at all!

I will not count it as one of my books for 2009, as I didn't read enough of it.
Jul 01, 2011 Emily marked it as did-not-finish
Only made it to chapter 5. The "I'm a single mother, things are just SO crazy" was overdone, and when chapter 5 opened with Hope STILL harping about Maz's date, I was finished. Disappointing, because I did actually laugh during a couple of the scenes in earlier chapters.
I think Sandi Kahn Shelton has a gift for bringing fictional characters to life through her uniquely descriptive writing style. And she has a quirky sense of humor. Sadly, she also uses a lot of vulgar, crude language so I cannot recommend her books.
A fun chick-lit tale of life, love and laughter in the world of marriage, parenting, dealing with truly out-there extended family, and jobs that drive us nuts. There is much crazy here, but all of it in a realistic fashion. I dare you not to laugh!
Okay book, quick read.
I did like the author's writing and I liked the mix of humor in with all the sdaness/craziness.
I would read another one by her because I know her writing is good. This particular plot line just wasn't my thing though!
A completely weak lead female character that you just want to slap upside the head and yell at to wake up. Even at the end Maz failed to stand up for herself as she should have. I did not enjoy reading this book.
This is a very good book about a woman whose mother is a psychic; her ex-husband is a scammer and cheater;and a ten year old daughter who has a mind of her own.
  • Husband Hunters
  • She Effin' Hates Me: A Love Story
  • Accidental Happiness
  • The Great Indoors
  • My Lost and Found Life
  • Brown Sugar: A Collection of Erotic Black Fiction
  • Unfinished Business
  • Wives of the Fishermen
  • Sealing The Deal (How To Catch A Billionaire, #3)
  • Wives Behaving Badly
  • Friday Mornings at Nine
  • His Other Wife
  • Spotless (Spotless, #1)
  • The Awesome Girl's Guide to Dating Extraordinary Men
  • Younger
  • Stupid Hearts
  • Everything Must Go (STP - Mira)
  • Quality of Care
Kissing Games of the World: A Novel A Piece of Normal: A Novel Sleeping Through the Night . . . and Other Lies: The Mysteries, Marvels, and Mayhem in the First Three Years of Parenthood You Might As Well Laugh: Because crying will only smear your mascara Preschool Confidential