Mirror

Mirror

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  612 ratings  ·  36 reviews
It is said that a mirror can trap a person's soul...Martin Williams is a broke, two-bit screenwriter living in Hollywood, but when he finds the very mirror that once hung in the house of a murdered 1930s child star, he happily spends all he has on it. He has long obsessed over the tragic story of Boofuls, a beautiful and successful actor who was slaughtered and dismembered...more
Published April 1st 1988 by Tor Books (first published 1988)

Kevin
Mirror,

What happens when you buy a piece of Hollywood memorabilia from a little old, innocent woman? Boofuls happens, that what.

This book was a great read. I usually find Graham Masterton to be hit or miss. This time he knocked it out of the ballpark.

This is a creepy tale about a murdered childhood actor who wants his life back, and a poor unsuspecting down on his luck screenwriter who holds the key.

The writing was simple, straightforward and to the point. This time around, Mr. Masterton kep...more
Jeremy
Before I get into my review, let me give you the back story. I have wanted to read this book since I was about 10 years old (I’m 24 now). My mom read it when it was first released + claimed it was so scary she couldn’t finish it. She hid it behind another novel on her bookshelf for a while, then eventually banned it to the garage because she didn’t want it in the house. A friend of hers borrowed the book + wouldn’t let it touch her bible. A couple of years later, my mother gave it away to one of...more
Maciek
Mirror is an entertaining, though at times ridiculously cheesy and over the top horror novel from the 80's. The story centers around a murdered child actor, who haunts guess what - a mirror. The idea is good, the novel suspensful and gory at times, but the character actions are completely ridiculous and ruin what could have been one of his best works. Check out The Pariah or Family Portrait if you want to experience Masterton at his best.
Books
“Somebody once defined Armageddon as all the most distressing things that you can imagine happening to you, all at once, forever. To me, that sounds worse than the end of the world.”

I will never look in, or at, mirrors the same way again, that’s for sure. One of my book addict friends and I decided to challenge each other every month by recommending a favorite book to each other which we then HAVE to read and finish that same month. We’ll be doing this for a year. So, for January, she challenged...more
Susanne
Yet again Graham Masterton gives the reader a CREEPFEST of creepiness. This book is definitely scary in that nerve-racking "is there someone behind me?" and "now I must turn on ALL THE LIGHTS" sense.

For me, it wasn't as good as some of his other stories because there is a lot of anti-feline imagery and violence that I could have done without. Also, sometimes the protagonist needed a slap upside the head.

However, the analysis of Through the Looking-Glass is amazing and, even though I'm not a fa...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
I own this book in print! Which is a good thing since I am sure my friends will be clambering to read this book!

This story is disturbing!
It is one of the few that drained me to such a degree that I did not read it continually!
What I loved most was that the author turned on conventional wisdom and made the evil apparent from the get go!
No questions regarding Martin's sanity! This evil is not shy! This turn about of the usual added to the creepimess factor and made me rethink all that I have know...more
Μιχάλης
In my mind, Masterton is too much of a nasties-hack extrordinaire that I forget he is also a solid horror author and Mirror proves that.

Contrary to most rushed novels by said author, Mirror is a great take on Lewis Caroll's novels, well-paced almost throughout (there is a quick rush towards the end though), with the horror constantly building, a likeable protagonist and some supporting characters and a great villain. There is gruesome violence, but most of the horror comes out of the eerieness a...more
Shanna Wynne
It's a great book. Great description, great action, great pace. Very entertaining.

I picked it up because a reviewer of one of my stories compared me/the story to Graham Masterton/Mirror, and since I'd never read it I figured I ought to. Turned out I was very proud to realize that there is something shared specifically between that book and my story. Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but there's something there.
Jessica Featherstone
I have to say that there wasn't a single thing I disliked about this book. It was scary and full of suspense and I love the way Masterton writes. You would think that he would run out of idea's for a supernatural horror but he just keeps pouring out novel after novel.

I prefer Masterton over authors like King, simply because with Masterton he doesn't wait to ease you into the scare, he throws you in the deep end and doesn't care if you drown or not.

Mirror was fantastic and I found myself sleep d...more
Brian
While over-the-top to the point of ridiculousness at times, Mirror is an intensely captivating story with a swift-moving and scary plot.

There were several points where I wasn't sure if I would be able to turn off the lights and sleep too well, a mark of any good horror novel.
William
Dec 19, 2009 William rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to William by: acknud@gmail.com
This is a good horror story basically about the battle between good and evil. Eerie in description. Good wholesome violence but not enough sex!

What really happens beyond the mirror?
Cherie
My ratings system is as follows. One star is GOOD. The book is entertaining, easy to read and you don't want to stop reading because something about the book is compelling you not to. Two stars is GREAT! This time the story is not only entertaining, but highly creative, unique, easy to read and hard to put down. Three stars is EXCELLENT. Here the book has all aspects of one and two stars, but now the book is thought and emotionally provoking. Four is AWESOME. This is the read that is not only cr...more
Gemma Farrow
One of my favourite Masterton books. This writer knows how to work suspense into every page, he has the ability to know which word will work best in developing the sense of unease. With Masterton's characters, there is always human frailty present. This is something I like very much, as you can identify with them.

He also has a knack for choosing creepy names, and little Boofuls, fulfils his name. There is an element of sadness and misery beneath the Boofuls character, after all, he was only a ch...more
Jen
This novel was all kinds of messed up. In a good way. My supervisor actually recommend this one to me and I see her in a whole new light. I cringed a couple of times (after all it is a horror novel) but it was a fantastic read that kept my attention the entire time..
Monita
This is on of the most intense books I have ever read. this book HAS been passed along in my family, I was the last to read it and I loved every minute of it. I'm actually looking to buy it to read it again.. one of my favorites..
Ανδρέας (Καπανδρέου)
Συστήνεται μόνο για τους λάτρεις του είδους αφού πρόκειται για ένα «σκληρό» έργο τρόμου με φαντασία, εναλλαγή συναισθημάτων και πολύ αίμα, αφού σε αυτό περιγράφονται με λεπτομέρεια αρκετές σκηνές βίας. Στην ιστορία παρελαύνουν από παιδιά, ιερείς, σεναριογράφοι και σκηνοθέτες του Χόλυγουντ, μέχρι οπαδοί του Σατανά και ο Διάβολος ο ίδιος!

Η υπόθεση είναι έξυπνη και έχει καλή ροή αφού κρατά τον αναγνώστη μέχρι το τέλος σε αγωνία. Στα μειονεκτήματα του, κάποια κιτς στοιχεία που θυμίζουν αμερικάνικη...more
Kevin Smith
I very much enjoyed this story. I would have to say my only complaints would be that some of the characters comments and actions just didn't fit what was going on. For example a when there is a lot of gore and violence I just don't see myself making jokes when I'm supposedly scared to the point I am shaking. I won't go into more detail and ruin the story for anyone else. Overall I did enjoy this though. It would be a 3.5 if it was possible to give it.
Brandy
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. What can I say, I do judge books by their covers. That being said, the story was great & creepy. I thought the name Boofuls was a bit over the top, but as time went on, it stopped bothering me, I was so pulled into the story. I don't want to give any spoilers, but let's just say it's a wicked spin on Alice In Wonderland.
Heatherella
I am a horror junky and while noone compares to Stephen King at all in any of my reading, Masterton has me walking slowly, cautiously through my house at night, checking mirrors and running up the basement stairs from the imaginary someone that is down there...
Brian
I really liked this book. It was a fun read. Kinda campy in sections but fit the overall style of the book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a horror book that doesn't have the usual zombie/vampire/monster antagonist.
Hairsoftree
Je l'ai lu il y a déjà quelques années, mais j'avais bien aimé l’histoire avec ce gamin ( style Damien de "La Malédiction"),et le miroir qui d'un coup de chapeau salue "De l'autre côté du miroir" de Lewis Carrol.
Bon livre.
Adam
I picked this book up in Argeles sur Mer looking for something in English that wasn't a detective story. Hells bells I couldn't put his book down and was making sure nothing was going to jump out of my mirror.
Selene
Offering a frightening take on Carrol's Wonderland tales, Masterton kept me spell bound. I refused to set it down for even a minute till I was finished.
Randy Wiggins
A great horror novel about a man who has lost his son and the horror he suffers with the ghosts of his own past. Handled as only a master can!
Simon
quick read, just ok for me, not as good as Family Portrait. I hated the name Boofuls worst ever name of a character in a book ever.
Chichi
Great read. A tad let down by the end but a good book nonetheless. This is my fave Masterton book so far.
Aaron Brewster
Fantastic collision of horror, Lewis carroll, and films golden era. Masterton's most epic novel.
Angela
Spooky old-Hollywood AU tale. Loved this. Graham Masterton is a horror-writing GOD.
Annalise Hulse
Stoopid B Movie horror. How can anyone be scared by an evil character called Boofuls???
hiedi
i liked this book it really gave you a new persective of alice in woderland
  • Ghosts
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • The Midnight Tour (Beast House Series)
  • The Summoning
  • Bethany's Sin
  • Headhunter  (Special X, #1)
  • House of Blood
  • Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
  • Reprisal (Adversary Cycle, #5)
  • The Bleeding Season
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British menis magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi...more
More about Graham Masterton...
The Manitou (Manitou, Book 1) The House That Jack Built Walkers The Pariah The Devil in Gray