Start by marking “Not That It Matters” as Want to Read:
Not That It Matters

Not That It Matters

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The simple truth, and everybody knows it really, is that collars squeak for some people and not for others. A squeaky collar round the neck of a man is a comment, not upon the collar, but upon the man. That man is unlucky. Things are against him. Nature may have done all for him that she could, have given him a handsome outside and a noble inside, but the world of inanimat ...more
Published by IndyPublish.com (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Not That It Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not That It Matters

Ruthiella
Oct 12, 2012 Ruthiella rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Not That It Matters is a collection of essays that a appeared in a variety of newspapers at the beginning of the last century, sort of an upper class, mild mannered Dave Barry of the 20’s. Many were charming and generally humorous in gentle, whimsical way, as you might expect from the author of Winnie the Pooh. Some were a bit dated such as the essay about the perfect walking stick or the one about pipe smoking and there is some use of some now un-politically correct language; but others felt ju ...more
Ruth
Aug 11, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it
These lovely little essays about everything (and at the same time nothing in particular) are perfect for whiling away a quiet afternoon with a cup of coffee. Even if you're not currently experiencing a quiet afternoon with a cup of coffee, Milne's sweet flow of prose will help you feel as if you are. Particularly memorable are his fussy little essay on fruit and the surprisingly barbed closing essay regarding the narrow-minded scope of understanding demonstrated by armchair critics.
Julie
May 20, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is collection of essays on different subjucts ranging from writing to golf to Santa Claus. This is not a volume I would read again, but I did laugh and smile in places. A.A. Milne has a way with words. If you are looking for a free Kindle with short essays to read, you will enjoy this.
Steve Miller
Dec 28, 2013 Steve Miller rated it it was ok
Judging from the comments made by others here, I may need to revisit this series of essays someday. But as it was, I just didn't find myself very interested in them the other night and set the book aside for something else.
Natalie Jo
Jul 05, 2016 Natalie Jo rated it it was amazing
Anyone who only reads A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh stories is really missing out on his wonderful essays! This is such a charming collection of essays, and worth every moment spent reading it.
Roberta
Jun 19, 2015 Roberta rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, nonfiction, uk
You see the difficulty. If you arrange your books according to their contents you are sure to get an untidy shelf. If you arrange your books according to their size and color you get an effective wall, but the poetically inclined visitor may lose sight of Beattie altogether. Before, then, we decide what to do about it, we must ask ourselves that very awkward question, "Why do we have books on our shelves at all?" It is a most embarrassing question to answer.

Alan Alexander Milne è l'autore della
Maggie
Jan 23, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it
pure pleasure and a witness to a gentler time in literature and in life. i believe today that there are writer's and neighbors as gentle as a.a. milne's writing indicates he might have been, but they must be in hiding. we should read these short short essays on common things in life twice each year just to remember how reflections on the details in life can lift us rather than add pressure to our lives. topics vary and wisdom abounds -- we read about squeaky collars, pen nibs, thermometers, gold ...more
Shauna
Dec 30, 2015 Shauna rated it it was amazing
There is not much I can say, other than A.A. Milne just "gets" me. This book of essays and editorials is all at once a call to manners and civility from an era long gone, as well as a reminder that human beings haven't really changed that much. What's old is new again. Now seriously, I'm off to go make tea and walking sticks "new" again.
Emilie
Mar 09, 2014 Emilie rated it it was amazing
Clever and hilarious and whimsical in that quintessentially English sort of way
Dulcie
Jan 27, 2016 Dulcie rated it liked it
Ahh...a relaxing, enjoyable read.
Jessica
Oct 19, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I love British humor! The old-fashioned kind, of course. This audiobook was a collection of little articles written by A. A. Milne (the author of the Winnie the Pooh stories!) for a newspaper. Short and sweet, some of them are pretty clever, and many of them still apply to life now 100 years later. Great to listen to, but the Librivox readers were hit and miss. Some were fantastic, some were SO hard to listen to.
Rebecca
Jun 21, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
My appreciation for Milne's essays grows with every one I read. Such fun. I highly recommend him.
Plaimont
Apr 09, 2014 Plaimont rated it really liked it
This is a very charming collection of essays - meditations on life. Milne has a very gentle way of analyzing the minutiae in a compelling light.
Rift Vegan
Jan 31, 2009 Rift Vegan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008

I love this little book of essays so much! Each one is amusing and entertaining, they all make me smile!
Lee
Mar 13, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positively delightful! Classic Milne.
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Lori Daley
Lori Daley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Yvonne Riggs
Yvonne Riggs is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2016
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Andrew Jewell
Andrew Jewell rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Carole B
Carole B marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Tracy Fabisinski
Tracy Fabisinski marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Adam
Adam added it
May 12, 2016
Oliviacampana
Oliviacampana marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Louise purfield-coak
Louise purfield-coak marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Alain Seront
Alain Seront marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

“Almost anyone can be an author; the business is to collect money and fame from this state of being.” 53 likes
“If a statement is untrue, it is not the more respectable because it has been said in Latin.” 45 likes