Start by marking “Not That It Matters” as Want to Read:
Not That It Matters

Not That It Matters

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The simple truth, and everybody knows it really, is that collars squeak for some people and not for others. A squeaky collar round the neck of a man is a comment, not upon the collar, but upon the man. That man is unlucky. Things are against him. Nature may have done all for him that she could, have given him a handsome outside and a noble inside, but the world of inanimat ...more
Published by IndyPublish.com (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Not That It Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not That It Matters

Ruthiella
Not That It Matters is a collection of essays that a appeared in a variety of newspapers at the beginning of the last century, sort of an upper class, mild mannered Dave Barry of the 20’s. Many were charming and generally humorous in gentle, whimsical way, as you might expect from the author of Winnie the Pooh. Some were a bit dated such as the essay about the perfect walking stick or the one about pipe smoking and there is some use of some now un-politically correct language; but others felt ju ...more
Ruth
These lovely little essays about everything (and at the same time nothing in particular) are perfect for whiling away a quiet afternoon with a cup of coffee. Even if you're not currently experiencing a quiet afternoon with a cup of coffee, Milne's sweet flow of prose will help you feel as if you are. Particularly memorable are his fussy little essay on fruit and the surprisingly barbed closing essay regarding the narrow-minded scope of understanding demonstrated by armchair critics.
Julie
This book is collection of essays on different subjucts ranging from writing to golf to Santa Claus. This is not a volume I would read again, but I did laugh and smile in places. A.A. Milne has a way with words. If you are looking for a free Kindle with short essays to read, you will enjoy this.
Roberta
You see the difficulty. If you arrange your books according to their contents you are sure to get an untidy shelf. If you arrange your books according to their size and color you get an effective wall, but the poetically inclined visitor may lose sight of Beattie altogether. Before, then, we decide what to do about it, we must ask ourselves that very awkward question, "Why do we have books on our shelves at all?" It is a most embarrassing question to answer.

Alan Alexander Milne è l'autore della
Maggie
pure pleasure and a witness to a gentler time in literature and in life. i believe today that there are writer's and neighbors as gentle as a.a. milne's writing indicates he might have been, but they must be in hiding. we should read these short short essays on common things in life twice each year just to remember how reflections on the details in life can lift us rather than add pressure to our lives. topics vary and wisdom abounds -- we read about squeaky collars, pen nibs, thermometers, gold ...more
Emilie
Clever and hilarious and whimsical in that quintessentially English sort of way
Steve Miller
Judging from the comments made by others here, I may need to revisit this series of essays someday. But as it was, I just didn't find myself very interested in them the other night and set the book aside for something else.
Natalie
Anyone who only reads A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh stories is really missing out on his wonderful essays! This is such a charming collection of essays, and worth every moment spent reading it.
Plaimont
This is a very charming collection of essays - meditations on life. Milne has a very gentle way of analyzing the minutiae in a compelling light.
Rift Vegan

I love this little book of essays so much! Each one is amusing and entertaining, they all make me smile!
Marynna
Positively delightful! Classic Milne.
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Quebeco
Quebeco marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Melmo
Melmo marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
May 16, 2014
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.
A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...
Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1) The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2) The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4) The World of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-2) When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)

“Almost anyone can be an author; the business is to collect money and fame from this state of being.” 42 likes
“If a statement is untrue, it is not the more respectable because it has been said in Latin.” 34 likes