Start by marking “Old Testament Student Manual, Genesis To 2 Samuel: Religion 301 (1981 Printing, Rel301)” as Want to Read:

Old Testament Student Manual, Genesis To 2 Samuel: Religion 301 (Institute Manuals)

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This is the first of two books that serve as a student manual to the Old Testament of the Holy Bible (the second covers 1 Kings - Malachi).

Includes commentary, historical and cultural insights, maps, and charts relating to the Old Testament.
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 360 pages
Published 1981 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

To ask other readers questions about Old Testament Student Manual, Genesis To 2 Samuel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Testament Student Manual, Genesis To 2 Samuel

Josh
May 01, 2012 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me some time to work through the Old Testament student manuals as I read them while I was studying the Old Testament, but I learned so much. These books really helped me understand the Old Testament so much better than I had and as a result I gained an appreciation for the Old Testament.

Because it helped me understand how to study the Old Testament better I have been able to apply what I have learned to other scriptures, like the Book of Mormon.
Linda
May 30, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Right now with Seminary in full swing, this is the only books I'm reading. The Old Testament and the manuals for it! I love the scriptures!!!

Follow-up: Just finished teaching from this and cannot believe the incredible wealth of knowledge it added to my scripture study!
Kathy
Oct 22, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice resource to go with reading the Old Testament.
Jennifer Wilson
Jan 27, 2014 Jennifer Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I learned a lot about ancient Israel, the law of Moses, and the teachings of Jehovah.
Stephanie
Dec 13, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need a way to improve your Bible study? This book as a reading companion to the Bible has helped me to really dig in and find the beauty of the bible. The bible always seemed so daunting to read and dry in between the famous stories most Christians know. But this book explores the culture and depth of information and scripture the bible is. I wouldn't recommend reading the Bible without understanding this information first. This book can help with that.
Kate
May 10, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This student manual is incredibly helpful in understanding the Old Testament. When archaic symbolism and terms are explained, it's so much easier to not only understand, but also to appreciate the beauty of this holy literature. Highly recommended as a companion to studying the Old Testament.
Karen
Apr 10, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is reading the Bible
Took me 5 years to study the Old Testament with my older kids using these guides. LOVED it! I am starting the process again with the next two...but we are using a different study guides. Not because these weren't wonderful - just because I like variety. :0)
Heather
May 23, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goal is to read the Old and New Testament this year. It is taking a long time because I read the student manuals simultaneously, but the student manuals are awesome because they help me figure out what's happening in the story!
Erin
Jul 12, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a great companion book to read as you study the Old Testament. There are many good insights to culture and history. It is also and great reference book.
Lori
Apr 23, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
Nice, thorough study guide. There were a lot of passages that I needed help understanding, and this book was a big help.
Rayni
Dec 31, 2010 Rayni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of the Old Testament
It was simply awesome. I studied the Old Testament in a high school religion class. I learned so much more with this manual.
Linda
May 30, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
I love the great insight it give into the customs of ancient Israel and the symbology explained as witnesses to Christ.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
Feb 21, 2008 Wachlin007 Hotmail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This book provided a lot of valuable insights and background information as I studied the Old Testament.
Jodi
Jun 24, 2010 Jodi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This has been a great resource for me in my scripture study.
Yvonne
Jul 21, 2010 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great insights to help understand the Old Testament better.
Jimmie
Jan 02, 2012 Jimmie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My urim and thummim for the Bible. Great resource.
Spencer
Mar 13, 2011 Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must reading if you plan to read the old testament.
Cheryl
Mar 12, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church
Helped in my understanding of the Bible.
April
Apr 23, 2010 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-religion
A spiritual feast every time.
Bridget
May 18, 2008 Bridget marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Have this book
Nyx Cole
Nyx Cole rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Poqui
Poqui rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Topher Fischer
Topher Fischer marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Michelle Williams
Michelle Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Julie Brockbank
Julie Brockbank marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Brady
Brady marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 4 (Mortal Messiah)
  • The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Gethsemane
  • Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man

Institute Manuals (5 books)
  • Old Testament Student Manual: 1 Kings - Malachi