Start by marking “The Marathon Runner's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Marathon Runner's Handbook

The Marathon Runner's Handbook

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  4 reviews
It’s the most exciting challenge a runner can face: that first big marathon. With this practical guide to everything from physiology to great gear—now updated for this third edition—novices can train themselves up from scratch to their first six mile race and then on to half, full, and ultra-marathons. Full-color diagrams, detailed text, fact-filled charts, and superb acti ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by New Holland (first published March 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Marathon Runner's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marathon Runner's Handbook

Renee Boucher
A very general marathon book, I can't say I learned anything new. This would be a suitable reference for a beginner runner. The version was dated, which was agreeable with some of the information provided. A reference to avoid coconut oil showed the informations age. I can't remember the dietary reasons for making coconut oil a super food, but my buddy Brendan Brazier can and does in his fabulous book The Thrive Diet.
Loren
A great, general book on long-distance running, from nutrition to training. I would say, though, it's more appropriate for runners that are training for a marathon for the first time. Experienced marathoners should already know this stuff.
Tasha
Yhis was published in 2002 so it seems really old and VERY basic... like here is a water bottle, you should drink water when you run. So, unless you are brand new to running (much less marathoning) this is probablt not the book for you.
Nicole
As a beginner runner I found this super helpful! Although I seemed to have managed to ignore some of the advice and hurt myself anyway.
Teresa Piñero
Teresa Piñero marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Ladipo Soetan
Ladipo Soetan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Rajesh
Rajesh marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Thandiwe
Thandiwe marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sharika Seur
Sharika Seur marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Dermot Lally
Dermot Lally marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Jermaine Van wyk
Jermaine Van wyk marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Ben Hooper
Ben Hooper marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Librarianjen2.0
Librarianjen2.0 marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2010
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2010
Marathon Runner's Handbook Orange County Punk Parkrun: much more than just a run in the park Dave Callaghan Benefit 1996/97: Golden Moments in Sport