Start by marking “Dark Safari: The Life Behind the Legend of Henry Morton Stanley” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dark Safari: The Life ...

John Bierman

Dark Safari: The Life Behind the Legend of Henry Morton Stanley

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An exploration of the darkest heart of the man who greeted the explorer David Livingstone with the phrase, Dr. Livingstone, I presume? John Bierman, with the help of the newly discovered Stanley letters, leads readers into the interior of both the man and the Africa he tamed.
Published November 14th 1990 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Dark Safari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Safari

Eric_W
John Bierman, reports Stanley was a consummate liar and that Stanley's autobiography is filled with perversions of reality. Stanley says he found himself in America after deserting England via ship. He was conned into the Confederate army by a southern belle who promised eternal love (Stanley says.) Nonsense, reports Bierman. This was another part of the myth. There is evidence he fought at Shiloh, where he was captured by Union troops, and interned near Chicago. He volunteered to change sides, ...more
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press.
Andrea
This is an interesting and readable biography of a major figure in the European exploration and colonization of Africa. The author is more kind to Stanley than some;since Bierman adamantly agrees that Stanley was a habitual, probably pathological liar, it seems a little questionable to readily accept Stanley's reports of his behaviour and motives some of the time, when we know they aren't true most of the time. But overall, lively and accurate writing, backed up by good research with documentati ...more
Joyce
I just started reading this biography of a complicted man and his adventuresome and fictious life
as the African explorer who went in search of Dr. Livingston..not that the man was lost.

I hate the way the author has written this book! Everything thing he says about STanley (not his real name) is torn apart on a personal level. He makes him out to be a ambitous liar, a thief, a sadistic murderer, a media hound and woman hater. Maybe he was? I'd like to read another version of Stanley' biography.
Doug
John Bierman's biography of Henry Morton Stanley goes beyond the obligatory, "Doctor Livingstone, I presume". He gives us a pretty decent insight into the 'man' who was the epitome of the Victorian explorer, eclipsing even the likes of Burton, Speke and Carter. A good bit of the book dels with his activities in the Congo on behalf of King Leopold II - a portion of his life that often receives short shrift. Not a great deal of new information, but what is there is well done.
Ted
Well-told and highly educational retelling of an amazing life. I felt that the author was fair in his assessments, criticizing Stanley when merited while acknowledging his positive attributes. The writing is not at all dry and even induces laughs on occasion. Unfortunately, however, Stanley's final African expedition seemed interminable, so my interest flagged a bit toward the end of the book.
Harla
Haven't read an adult biography in a long time, but this one caught my eye when returned awhile back. Very glad I read it as I learned so much about Henry Morton Stanley and the early exploration AND exploitation of Africa during the 1800's.
Daniel
Good attention to details and an interesting journey through Stanley's papers and expeditions make this book one of those I enjoyed reading about a long already extinct era.
Sara-Maria Sorentino
well of course stanly was a pathological liar with an inferiority complex. Im glad someone came out with it.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sheree
Sheree marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Muthukumaran Ramalingam
Muthukumaran Ramalingam marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Frankgeerkens
Frankgeerkens marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Greg A.
Greg A. marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Arto
Arto marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
D
D marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
John David Bierman, journalist and author, born January 26 1929; died January 4 2006

John Bierman was one of the last of a generation of buccaneering reporters and writers who pursued successful careers across the media. Newspaper reporter, editor, radio correspondent, television "fireman", documentary maker and, finally, acclaimed historian, Bierman excelled at each, in a working life that reached
More about John Bierman...
Righteous Gentile: The Story of Raoul Wallenberg, Missing Hero of the Holocaust Napoleon III and His Carnival Empire War Without Hate: The Desert Campaign of 1940-43 The Battle of Alamein: Turning Point, World War II Fire in the Night: Wingate of Burma, Ethiopia, and Zion