Start by marking “Vampires: The Myths, Legends, & Lore” as Want to Read:
Vampires: The Myths, Legends, & Lore

Vampires: The Myths, Legends, & Lore

A thrilling treasury of vampire lore!

Since the seventeenth century, people have been frightened, mesmerized, and fascinated by the terrifying tales of vampires. In this book, you'll uncover the history and mystery behind these bloodthirsty monsters with folklore, mythology, and poetry from every tradition in the world. From the Bosnian Lampir, whose disease-ridden corpse s
Published July 31st 2014 by Adams Media Corporation (first published July 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires

Blak Rayne
Feb 25, 2015 Blak Rayne rated it it was amazing
I love vampires, and especially the eroticism associated with them. I own numerous vampire movies and books. My all time favourite motion picture is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Gary Oldman was spectacular. Another favourite is Underworld. I can’t get enough of Kate Beckinsale and Bill Nighy.
So when I happened across Aubrey Sherman’s Vampires - The Myths, Legends, and Lore, I had to buy it. And I wasn’t disappointed. This small, 224 page, hardcover book was worth every dime. From the wonderful introd
Wendy Mills
Sep 19, 2016 Wendy Mills rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating and entertaining read. The author not only gives you in-depth information about the varied legends revolving around vampires, but also about witches and werewolves too, and how they co-relate to one another. Also included are many pop references from some of the most known paranormal, horror, and suspense authors like Laurell K. Hamilton, Anne Rice, and Bram Stoker. A must have reference book for anyone who loves vampires.
Stormcrow
Aug 24, 2015 Stormcrow rated it it was ok
This book is probably meant to be more of a reference book than something read cover to cover, nevertheless, I slowly made my way through it from start to finish. Being a treatise on vampires with many short anecdotes, it gets incredibly repetitive (they found the body, cut off off its head, stuffed his mouth full of garlic... two pages later: they found the body, cut off off its head, stuffed his mouth full of garlic... etc.)

Not to say there aren't some interesting tidbits here and there, but
Ghislain
Jul 08, 2016 Ghislain rated it liked it
Au final, une première moitié de livre très intéressante puis une seconde bien moins palpitante. Le chapitre très décevant sur le jeu vidéo et les vampires étant certainement le pivot dans la baisse d'intérêt. La première partie se présente comme une archéologie du vampire. L'approche ethnologique est tout à fait pertinente. La seconde prenant davantage un angle sociologique teintée de délire type "guide de survie" est bien moins convaincante.
Lannoy 29
Intéressant mais inégal

Je dois dire que la première moitié de l'ouvrage est plus intéressante que la seconde. Le court chapitre concernant le jeu vidéo est très décevant et marque la césure et le début d'une perte de régime. En effet, l'ouvrage quitte alors sa dimension ethnologique.
KayLynn Zollinger
Feb 11, 2015 KayLynn Zollinger rated it really liked it
Anyone who loves vampires and wants to learn more, should read this. It's like a 'Vampires for Dummies' book but so much classier. Refers to lore as well as pop culture. I learned so much interesting historical tidbits and have about 20 new books and movies added to my lists!
Lorian Jones
Apr 23, 2015 Lorian Jones rated it liked it
This book were required for me to read in class. I learn some of the cool things in each chapters and also I love when this book talk about my favorite author Anne Rice and her books.
Izamary
Aug 01, 2016 Izamary rated it liked it
Shelves: books
it was interesting and very informative about were it all originated from according with other authors and legends.
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Christina Germany
Christina Germany rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Viktorija
Viktorija rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Chuck Engelhardt
Chuck Engelhardt rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Terrie Wolf
Terrie Wolf rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Mari Santini
Mari Santini rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2016
Jasmine
Apr 03, 2015 Jasmine rated it liked it
The essentials about vampires.
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2014
Timothy Dee
Timothy Dee rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
David Hinder
David Hinder rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Elisabet
Elisabet rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Sirensaria
Sirensaria rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Tiel
Tiel rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Matt B.
Matt B. rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Apollo
Apollo rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Alli
Alli rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Caffeine
Caffeine rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2016
raymond
raymond rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2014
Jordian
Jordian rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Grant Corbett
Grant Corbett rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016