Start by marking “Jesus Without Religion: What Did He Say? What Did He Do? What's the Point?” as Want to Read:
Jesus Without Religion: What Did He Say? What Did He Do? What's the Point?

Jesus Without Religion: What Did He Say? What Did He Do? What's the Point?

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Great. Another book about Jesus. Whose agenda will the author be lugging along this time? Author Rick James begins by clearing his throat. Free of creeds, quarrels and specialized theologies, he speaks of Jesus. No dogma, no politics, no moral at the end. Jesus. What he said. What he did. And what, exactly, was the point. The answers about Jesus, according to Rick James, a ...more
Published July 12th 2007 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Jesus Without Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus Without Religion

Chris
I've been looking for this book for a long time. Rick James (no, not THAT Rick James) writes a book about the life, meaning, and message of Jesus for the non-religious person. Using clear language, excellent insight, and a somewhat off-the-wall sense of humor, James walks through selected events from the gospels to draw an illuminating picture of the Biblical Jesus. He also addresses common concerns such as the reliability of the Bible. This is a great book for people who are interested in the J ...more
Chris
Jan 29, 2009 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: i-own
I was given this book when I passed by a table on campus hosted by the "Campus Crusade for Christ." The Campus Crusade is basically a group trying to generate religious discussions among students without pushing any particular religious tenets...a sort of lower pressure forum for students to think about religion. This book takes that same tactic. It looks at the Bible's treatment of Jesus Christ and evaluates the messages presented by the gospels as well as some of the writings from the Old Test ...more
Joseph
Jesus without Religion is very well balanced. The book is aimed largely as the spiritually-hungry non-Christian, hoping to open their eyes not to Christianity, but to the real thing that matters, Jesus (the true biblical Jesus, that is). I think Rick James does an excellent job. It is orthodox (remaining grounded in the Bible and affirming Jesus' death, resurrection, and deity), yet it is simple and straight-forward, not getting very "religious." He lays it out clearly, and in a manner that is e ...more
Liliana Mejia
An accessible book on the life & message of Jesus written in a fresh and practical way - especially valuable in terms of understanding how to read the various books of the Bible [with Christ's life, death and resurrection at its crux]. I found the book's biggest weakness to be it's emphasis on redemption being limited to a spiritual redemption/reign of God; leaving the gospel's impact with implications only for one's heart, rather than a redemption of all things.
Jontanner
Excellent, accessible apologetics for people who want to cut through the religious crud.
Valerie
Decent book to pass to a friend who wants to know about Jesus & doesn't & you don't have time to talk with them & they really like metaphors... but if you already know about Jesus, this book will make you feel like it is talking down to you. I got rather tired of how he kept trying to toss modern-day things in the book, & reeeaaally wanting to sounds cool & hip & 'down-to-earth' or something.
Joel
Rick James writes with wit, humor, and honest feelings that instantly cause you to think you're talking with an old friend. This books examines who Jesus is and how he worked on earth, effectively picking him up out of the trappings of religion and showing Christ for who he is. While it is a great read, I wish it would have been written to a higher reading level.
Rebecca Sutherland
Awesome and honest, this book looks at the life and death of Christ and why it even matters. James' humor laced throughout kept it from feeling "churchy" and still the message was clear- raw truth, real meaning, and an ending that leaves a clear perception of grace and redemption outside religion.
John
The title deceived me. I anticipated a postmodern representation of the message of Christianity.

Instead, Rick James gave a simple and unique presentation of the gospel.

While not theologically perfect, Rick's unique writing style offered an enjoyable learning experience.
Lauren Bowker
One of the best books I have read in a long time. Rick James does such a good job at explaining a lot of things we get wrapped up in that aren't important. He brings it all back to Christ and what it means to follow him. Love it'nn
Jason Robertson
A wonderful book for both apologists and skeptics alike. I laughed the whole way through it and learned a bit along the way as Rick James made his way through an accessible, simple, and expanded explanation of the gospels.
Katy Zmuda
Very good! Even tho he said he was going to explain everything clearly and in nonchristian terms, even I as a christian couldn't understand him all the time. But very good, witty, and smart!
Virginia Knowles
The best "introduction to Christianity" book I have seen. It is very winsome and solid at the same time -- a rare combination.
Jordan
This honestly has effected my faith and I think all christians should take an unbiased look at Christ now and then.
Stephanie
This book served its purpose: explaining who Jesus was, what he did, and what the point was.
Kate
Author has a sense of humor, and it was nice to read without religious jargon getting in the way.
Amanda Bennett
gift from Darin Travis (2008)
Veronica
Scriptural interpretations laid out simply and yet with historical context and new insights. Explains Jesus as seen in Scripture and why it all matters.
Beth Casey
Beth Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Nicole Wisniewski
Nicole Wisniewski marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kennedy Roarer
Kennedy Roarer marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kolena Bradley
Kolena Bradley marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Fay
Fay marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Mostly Lesfic: Goodreads giveaways 9 27 Aug 28, 2012 04:25AM
  • One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven
  • The Master Plan of Evangelism
  • Knowing God Intimately: Being as Close to Him as You Want to Be
  • The Prayer of Jabez for Teens (Breakthrough Series)
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • Breaking the Islam Code: Understanding the Soul Questions of Every Muslim
  • Words to Live By: A Guide for the Merely Christian
  • Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals
  • Bible: New American Bible, Revised Edition 2011
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope
  • The MacArthur Study Bible - English Standard Version (ESV)
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • Ministries of Mercy: The Call of the Jericho Road
  • Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God
  • Pure: A 90-Day Devotional for the Mind, the Body & the Spirit
  • Embrace Grace
  • Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
A Million Ways to Die: The Only Way to Live Postcards from Corinth Glow: The Autobiography of Rick James The Ultimate Roadtrip, A Guide to Leading Small Groups The Confessions of Rick James: "Memoirs of a Super Freak"