Blank-133x176
Shoe Baby

Joyce Dunbar

Shoe Baby

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Acclaimed author Joyce Dunbar teams up with an exciting new talent — her illustrator daughter, Polly — for this singsong tale of a baby who takes to the sea, the air, and the shops — in a shoe!

There once was a baby
Who lived in a shoe
And had learned how to say,
"How do you do?"

For one adventurous baby, there's no limit to the places you can go when using a shoe as a mode of...more
Published (first published July 12th 2005)

Vivian
What a happy find -- this book works great in story time! It is large, bright, imaginative, silly, and uses repeated phrases.

There once was a baby
Who hid in a shoe
And had learned how to say,
"How do you do?" (stop and invite the children to say "How do you do?" with you)

In a shoe you might think A dolphin came by
There is not much to do, And an octopus too.
But this very same baby Said this sail-away baby,
Went to SEA in that shoe! "How do you do?"

The baby goes to TOWN, to the ZOO and the baby even...more
jacky
I heard this at story time when our regular librarian was away. I've waited too long to review it though and I barely remember it. Something about a lost baby and a lost giant shoe? If that's right, I remember thinking it odd that the father giant was more concerned about his lost shoe than his lost baby.
Angela
Before this went Out of Print, it was my all-time favorite story book to give to new babies and their family. It's a rolliking rhyme that encourages politeness, immagination, emotion and adventure.

Please reprint, Candlewick!

Evan
I liked it. I liked the mom and dad. What he was thinking about was real. It was really there. The king and queen and everybody was real.

He got in a shoe. The dad couldn't find the shoe and the mom couldn't find the baby.
Angela
This was a very cute story and would make an adorable baby gift for many of my fashionista mommy friends. I am sure you are all shocked - this was my pick from the library, not Cooper's - but he thought it was funny nonetheless!
Megan
Love this one. It is so cute and my son loves it too. I can't praise the illustrations by Polly Dunbar enough. And I totally want an outfit like the mom-that green skirt rocks.
Natali
This is something we rented from the Library and the kids instantly loved. We have checked it out several more times. We need to buy it. We all love it.
M.
This is a really cute story that encourages children to use their imagination and that anything is possible when you are imagining!
Rachel
A very cute, repetative story of a baby's adventures while playing make-believe with his dad's shoe. Large, bright, colorful illustrations.
Elizabeth
Bridget wants to hear this book 5000 times a day right now, and luckily the illustrations are so good I'm happy to oblige.
Inspired Kathy
I got this because it had great reviews but I just didn't love it. I thought it was a little odd.
TwoDrinks
Lots of repetition to encourage language. Like the découpage style of illustration.
Shelli
A baby goes on an adventure in a shoe.... yeah that is about the nicest part of the book.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Great kids book. The illustrations are colorful and exciting. Good for storytime.
Hilary
One of my favorite kids books!! I love the story and illustrations.
Cheryl
very cool illustrations by the author's daughter.
John
Another hit for the toddler set!;-)
Melissa Messner
Pure joy-I love this crazy story :)
Molly
A Great read a loud for baby storytime.
Hannah
Hannah added it
Jun 03, 2014
Sara Millet
Sara Millet marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Cat
Cat added it
May 17, 2014
Carrie
Carrie added it
Mar 21, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep The Monster Who Ate Darkness Puss Jekyll Cat Hyde Tell Me What It's Like to Be Big This Is the Star