Start by marking “Festive in Death (In Death, #39)” as Want to Read:
Festive in Death (In Death, #39)
Preview

Festive in Death (In Death #39)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  7,543 ratings  ·  862 reviews
Eve Dallas deals with a homicide—and the holiday season—in the latest from the #1 New York Times bestselling author.

Personal trainer Trey Ziegler was in peak physical condition. If you didn't count the kitchen knife in his well-toned chest.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas soon discovers a lineup of women who'd been loved and left by the narcissistic gym rat. While Dallas sorts throug
Published September 9th 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Festive in Death, please sign up.

Charli I think people may be lost if they don't at least have a grounding in the main characters' backstories. There are a lot of complicated relationships…moreI think people may be lost if they don't at least have a grounding in the main characters' backstories. There are a lot of complicated relationships and history throughout the series that definitely enhance the story. But if you just want to read for a slightly futuristic police procedural, you may be able to jump right in. The first book is Naked in Death. (less)
Colleen N. MacLafferty That was Thanksgiving..."Thankful in Death" and they had them over the year before as well.

Jonetta
It's close to Christmas and Eve Dallas gets a surprise call from someone she knows who's walked into a murder scene. She and Peabody have their work cut out for them as the victim was a creep.

I enjoyed this story a lot. It has all the things I love about the series...Peabody, a strong procedural, a cast of interesting suspects, clever dialogue, Eve's mixed metaphors, Roarke time and the annual holiday party at Eve and Roarke's mansion. An added bonus was a twist I didn't foresee for a long time
Phrynne
After 38 books you would think I might be getting tired of the In Death series but I most certainly am not! This is number 39 and reading it was like meeting up again with close friends and family. The Christmas theme is heart warming - everyone should enjoy Christmas the way these people do. I can't count how many times I laughed out loud at Eve's delightful naivety and as for Rourke, well, everyone should have one! Can you imagine coming home to that every night? This was such an enjoyable boo ...more
Delia Binder
The newest Eve Dallas? And set around Christmas? Oh, this should be hilarious! Christmas and Eve get along about as well as chocolate and mustard, with a side of natto - so I expect much humor while investigating the crime! Even worse, Eve's partner (and my book-Sister) Dee Peabody? Loves the holidays...!

I Dare You - Tell Me That's NOT Eve Dallas!

EDITED BECAUSE the signed picture I had of Stana Katic (from her role on HEROES) had a big honking DO NOT COPY legend on it. Turns out it's DO NOT
Fran
This is the 39th book of the In Death series (not including the novellas, I haven't read those). You would think I would have already gotten bored twenty-odd books ago. But honestly, I still want more!

Eve and Roarke are my favorite book couple ever! Eve is my kind of heroine. She's strong, smart, loyal, and a badass cop through and through, but deep inside, she has a soft spot for the people she cares about. Roarke, on the other hand, will forever be my book boyfriend. He's Irish, ultra rich, th
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

I’ve been reading these slightly out of order, which I wouldn’t normally do, but J.D. Robb makes it very easy for me to enjoy them regardless of the number on the cover. In Death series is one of the most popular series in the world and with good reason. Just days ago, I sung Nora Roberts’ praises to all of you, and I still stand by my every word.

The series takes place about 40 years from now, which is highly unusual for the detective/mystery genre, but I love that Robb never makes a b
Kjen
5 Strong n Glittery Christmas Stars!!! JD Robb has had a pattern with the ID books for a while now. One case-intense book with edge and urgency and one lighter book with more banter, life outside of work, and side character interactions. This was the light book;) I believe that this book has given us the most off-case scenes ever. I loved the party prep/the party itself, the gift shopping/giving, the home life, the vid and popcorn, and on and on... It rocked! The case was well done and the twist ...more
Brenda
The early hours of the morning in the lead up to Christmas found Lieutenant Eve Dallas dragged from her warm bed into the frosty outside air to investigate New York’s latest murder. And a nasty one it was too – the cardboard sign with a handwritten Santa Says You've Been Bad!!! Ho, Ho, Ho! was attached to the victim’s chest with a particularly vicious looking kitchen knife.

As Eve began the investigation with Detective Delia Peabody by her side, they started to uncover some facts about the decea
Sally906

Opening line: "... Men, Sima thought, can't live with them, can't beat them to death with a nine iron ..."

FESTIVE IN DEATH is the 39th book in the mystery/romantic suspense ‘Death’ series which I never seem to tire of. I have found each of the books to be well-written with believable characters and darker edgy heart in mouth type murder investigations with enough humour to prevent you sucking your thumb in the corner. FESTIVE IN DEATH is set in Christmas 2060 – Christmas is not a season Lieutena
Nina Ridyananda
Oh my. Christmas!!!

Another time of Eve where she becomes so worried about presents and another Christmas party she and Roarke are supposed to host. Tsk tsk. Eve's not big about gifts and parties, but still, I kinda like seeing her so flustered when Roarke rains her with myriad of gifts (like in the book 22, Memory in Death). I always like In Death books when Eve and Roarke are celebrating their anniversary or Christmas.

Still a long time to read this one #sighheavily
I'll still wait impatiently f
Carolyn
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is not a big fan of Christmas - buying Christmas gifts, going to Christmas parties and socilaising all takes too much time and effort, but now married to mega wealthy businessman Roarke, she has no choice but to get into the mood and help him buy gifts for their friends, glam up and host a big party.

Meanwhile Eve and her partner, Delia Peabody are investigating the murder of a personal trainer, Trey Zieglar. Trey turns out to have a lot of cash making Eve suspect that some
T's Book
Eve and Roarke are just the bestest couple EVAH! Now I am ready for the holidays to start. Maybe I will do a full review, maybe I won't. Sometimes it just nice to have thouroughly enjoyed a book without the pressure of a review. But I highlighted so much awesomeness..... :) we'll see.
Vicki Lee
Sep 21, 2014 Vicki Lee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans Murder mystery

This latest installment for JD Robb’s “In Death” series takes place in Eve’s adopted home—New York City. The fact the victim is universally disliked is supposed to be a major test of Eve’s personal ethic that everyone, no matter who, deserves justice and someone to stand for them. Although that idea is stated a number of times throughout the book—it doesn’t really come across all that strongly in the plot.
This book was OK. But having read them all—next to most of the others in the series, it o
Mareli

Okay, as usual J. D. Robb delivered fine.

Her 39th book of ID series is a great story, not so violent (that's good) and full of festive details (I loved them a lot).

The plot was good, simple and straight (I guessed the culprit almost from the very start) and the part about Christmas was wonderful. I love how Eve Dallas got a family, even if she didn't want it!

A note about Da
Bigd_041555
Another great In Death book - a very nice taste of Eve, Roarke, and all the usual suspects! Yes it takes place around Christmas - lots of cool gifts given between the main characters and between Eve and Roarke.

Some very good bantering throughout the book, a red herring or two thrown in for good measure. Of course the ritual "dirty Santa" - love that part. Most of the main characters make an appearance, if only a glimpse which is okay. We can really see the change in Eve in this book - how she co
Betty
Aug 11, 2014 Betty rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All J. D. Robb fans
Recommended to Betty by: Sent to me for review

FESTIVE IN DEATH
J. D. ROBB

Putnam
September 2014

Tis the Season to be jolly and Eve Dallas is shopping and solving crime, as usual. What is different is she is actually enjoying the shopping! Her latest murder victim is a macho, award winning personal trainer that uses and abuses his female clientele. Evidently one of them couldn’t take it anymore and left him propped up in his bed with a knife stuck in his heart and a sign pinned to his chest: “Santa Says Yo
Carol
Christmas is near when Eve receives an early morning wake-up call from the "dreaded" Trina with news of a dead body. For Lieutenant Eve Dallas and sidekick Detective Peabody, there's always a murder to solve, but during the holiday season, there's also the shopping "thing" and "hunky" zillionare ROARKE'S annual big bash to host to add to the mix.

Despite similar plots and procedures in the murder investigations, the IN-DEATH series has great addictive characters, the fun of a futuristic setting,

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Even after so many books, Ms. Robb continues this series which I don't ever want to end. In this one, the dead body is an asshat as Eve uncovers more and more about his narcissist life. It's appalling. The mystery is well written and I enjoyed this story from beginning to end. I read it easily in one sitting and feel as though I'm with friends again as I see Eve interact with everyone.

The romance between Eve and Roarke is still strong. Peabody is still her new-agey self. The usual bitching Eve
Dee

Well done mystery
Afraid series getting old
Liked, didn't love it
Caro
Another super ultramazing book! I loved the characters, their personalities, and their interactions in this book. Except maybe the vic. I laughed (plenty), got a little hot under the collar, was exasperated, aggravated, confused, happy, surprised, a little teary, did some butt-wiggling of my own, anxious, and every varied emotion in between. There were definitely some 'suspects' I liked and some I didn't. The gifts were great too! Loved the little snipits that included or relayed to some past ch ...more
 Anna Wicked Book Addict (Wicked Book Blog)
May contain spoilers

This time the case Eve is working on isn't overly brilliant or complicated. It's though full of messed up details that when juxtaposed next to each other blur the whole picture. The villain is hard to disclose or should I say- too easy to find as every suspect had a motive and quite a few an opportunity to do the deed.
It doesn't help that the main suspect is of the asshole kind and plays well into it.

In any case the personal life of our characters takes the front seat and mak
Nandi
I cannot wait to get my hands on this book. mainly because it's during Christmas time, and we faithful ID fans know that our girl Eve hates this time of the year.
She hates it because it involves her three most dreaded things to do....shopping, gift giving, and wait for it.....gift receiving.....She never knows how to react to this simple act of kindness. LOL

This release date can't come fast enough for me.Four more days, four more days....four more.......

Although the murder part of the story was
Mary
I love this series and this installment does not disappoint. It's Christmas in Eve's world and I love how she deals with buying gifts and having to wrap them (very funny). Some instalments of the series are more emotional, or grizzly, or both, but every now and then it's nice to take a break from a serial murder and have the real focus on Eve and Roarke when things are going well. They are my favorite fictional couple and they just get better and better.
Monnie
It's always a pleasure to start a book when you know you're going to enjoy it. And in fact, I did. So why four stars and not five?

I've read and enjoyed quite a few of the books featuring emotionally and physically scarred Lt. Eve Dallas. Mostly because of her background, she's hard-nosed, driven and has a tough time understanding the "people" aspects of life. Except for her filthy rich, hunky Irish husband Roarke and her co-worker Peabody, she doesn't trust much of anyone. That, of course, is a
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This has to be one of the best books in this series. I found myself laughing and totally wanting more. I hope Robb keeps these coming one after another!
Elvan

Well that was fun. Festive is a nice fluffy Christmas addition to the InDeath Series. We readers have come to look forward to the big Christmas party thrown at the mansion. The hustle and bustle of decorators and caterers. The decorated tree in every room in the mansion. Roarke picking out something extremely revealing for Eve to wear and she complaining about her shoes. It's become a holiday tradition. I was glad to see DeWinter at the big party. She and Nadine together in full cougar form with
Jess
This book is a bit boring *gasp* I know...I cant believe I said it either.

The murder was boring, it was kind of obvious who it was. There was no twists and turns in the investigation...it was just uncover one clue...then the next till you get to the obvious conclusion and the obvious killer.

JD Robb did try and pull a bit of a twist at the end but it was to obvious for me, I would have preferred a bigger twist or series of twists earlier on so the ending was more murky.

The hate of shopping was ve
Yvonne Anagnost
Another Eve Dallas story set at Christmastime. It's getting a little old.

The book started slowly, and didn't really pick up speed, mired in maudlin admiration of Eve's new found "softer side." Nice that Eve is connecting to her feelings, but a whole book of it? The murder was almost tangential, the Christmas party more lovingly described than the solution of the murder.

And the solution? Contrived to the point of losing credibility.

I like this series and will likely read the next book, but I hop
Kirsten
Some In Death novels are emotional, some are intricately plotted, some are intense, but very few are as much fun as this one was. That's the main word I can come up with this book. Fun and -- FESTIVE!

I really, really loved this one. All In Death books are enjoyable, most are excellent, but few are really as thoroughly fun and five star reads as this one.

Can't wait 'til I can listen to the audiobook. (I got the library book before I could get to buying the Audible copy.) The audio always increas
Lynsey A
Another enjoyable Eve and Roark book. One would think after 40 or so books the stories would get stale or repetitive. Not so. Although it dragged in some places it was still entertaining with the gross out scenes between Peabody and McNabb and Eve 's reactions. It also ended with a nice twist.

We also get to see Eve and Roarke entertain and Eve's phobia about it.

And yes, Shipshewana is a real town in Indiana and not everyone from Indiana is as naive as a character is portrayed. :)
Maureen
In ‘Festive in Death’ Lieutenant Eve Dallas has to investigate the murder of Trey Ziegler, a personal trainer and just a terrible human being. It’s almost Christmas and all Eve wants to do is tie this murder up as fast as possible. Unfortunately there are a lot of potential suspects and soon the case takes a turn which will add more work to the Lieutenant. Between attending a fabulous Christmas party Eve’s husband Roarke planned and investigating a murder, this year’s Christmas is definitely goi ...more
J.D. Robb : Festive in Death (Spoiler Zone) 143 149 Jan 29, 2015 06:40PM
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Harmony, #11)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • The Liar
  • Fade (In the company of shadows, #4)
  • The Boy with the Painful Tattoo (Holmes & Moriarity, #3)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • The Lost Key (A Brit in the FBI, #2)
  • Ghost Layer (Ghost Seer, #2)
  • Sight Unseen (Kendra Michaels #2)
  • The Listener (Virtue Falls, #0.5)
  • Haunted (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #15)
  • Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes, #1)
  • Fast Track (Buchanan-Renard, #12)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“A banner hung over the break-room door, facing out so any who came in would see the sentiment:

NO MATTER YOUR RACE, CREED, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR POLITICAL AFFILIATION, WE PROTECT AND SERVE, BECAUSE YOU COULD GET DEAD.”
15 likes
“Where’s the hooch—for Dickhead?”
“Fourth-floor gift room.”
She stared at him for ten silent seconds. “We have a gift room?”
On a half laugh, he shook his head. “One day, darling Eve, you really should go through the entire house. East wing, fourth-floor tower.”
“Okay.” Since she wasn’t completely sure where that was, she walked to the elevator.”
10 likes