Start by marking “Festive in Death (In Death, #39)” as Want to Read:
Festive in Death (In Death, #39)

Festive in Death (In Death #39)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  13,447 Ratings  ·  1,142 Reviews
Eve Dallas deals with a homicide—and the holiday season—in the latest from the #1 New York Times bestselling author.

Personal trainer Trey Ziegler was in peak physical condition. If you didn't count the kitchen knife in his well-toned chest.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas soon discovers a lineup of women who'd been loved and left by the narcissistic gym rat. While Dallas sorts throug
Published September 9th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Festive in Death, please sign up.

Charli I think people may be lost if they don't at least have a grounding in the main characters' backstories. There are a lot of complicated relationships…moreI think people may be lost if they don't at least have a grounding in the main characters' backstories. There are a lot of complicated relationships and history throughout the series that definitely enhance the story. But if you just want to read for a slightly futuristic police procedural, you may be able to jump right in. The first book is Naked in Death. (less)
Gina Briganti I ask myself this question all the time! I think the answer is that she's just that good!

One element I love and that makes the series so romantic is…more

One element I love and that makes the series so romantic is that even if you could best Eve in a fight, Roarke wouldn't betray her. (less)

Jonetta
It's close to Christmas and Eve Dallas gets a surprise call from someone she knows who's walked into a murder scene. She and Peabody have their work cut out for them as the victim was a creep.

I enjoyed this story a lot. It has all the things I love about the series...Peabody, a strong procedural, a cast of interesting suspects, clever dialogue, Eve's mixed metaphors, Roarke time and the annual holiday party at Eve and Roarke's mansion. An added bonus was a twist I didn't foresee for a long time
Phrynne
Aug 15, 2014 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
After 38 books you would think I might be getting tired of the In Death series but I most certainly am not! This is number 39 and reading it was like meeting up again with close friends and family. The Christmas theme is heart warming - everyone should enjoy Christmas the way these people do. I can't count how many times I laughed out loud at Eve's delightful naivety and as for Rourke, well, everyone should have one! Can you imagine coming home to that every night? This was such an enjoyable boo ...more
Jilly
Sep 15, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
What happens when a truly horrible person is murdered? You have hundreds of suspects because everyone wanted to kill this guy. Hell, I wanted to kill him myself. So, having the top homicide detective working tirelessly to solve his murder seems like a bit of a waste. Put your laziest, dumbest, apathetic guy on the job and just let it go.

The more you learn about the "victim", the more you empathize with his killers. He was truly a disgusting human being who deserved worse than an easy bludgeoning
Delia Binder
Apr 06, 2014 Delia Binder rated it really liked it
The newest Eve Dallas? And set around Christmas? Oh, this should be hilarious! Christmas and Eve get along about as well as chocolate and mustard, with a side of natto - so I expect much humor while investigating the crime! Even worse, Eve's partner (and my book-Sister) Dee Peabody? Loves the holidays...!

I Dare You - Tell Me That's NOT Eve Dallas!

EDITED BECAUSE the signed picture I had of Stana Katic (from her role on HEROES) had a big honking DO NOT COPY legend on it. Turns out it's DO NOT
Fran
Apr 22, 2014 Fran rated it really liked it
This is the 39th book of the In Death series (not including the novellas, I haven't read those). You would think I would have already gotten bored twenty-odd books ago. But honestly, I still want more!

Eve and Roarke are my favorite book couple ever! Eve is my kind of heroine. She's strong, smart, loyal, and a badass cop through and through, but deep inside, she has a soft spot for the people she cares about. Roarke, on the other hand, will forever be my book boyfriend. He's Irish, ultra rich, th
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

I’ve been reading these slightly out of order, which I wouldn’t normally do, but J.D. Robb makes it very easy for me to enjoy them regardless of the number on the cover. In Death series is one of the most popular series in the world and with good reason. Just days ago, I sung Nora Roberts’ praises to all of you, and I still stand by my every word.

The series takes place about 40 years from now, which is highly unusual for the detective/mystery genre, but I love that Robb never makes a b
Kjen
5 Strong n Glittery Christmas Stars!!! JD Robb has had a pattern with the ID books for a while now. One case-intense book with edge and urgency and one lighter book with more banter, life outside of work, and side character interactions. This was the light book;) I believe that this book has given us the most off-case scenes ever. I loved the party prep/the party itself, the gift shopping/giving, the home life, the vid and popcorn, and on and on... It rocked! The case was well done and the twist ...more
Brenda
Dec 05, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The early hours of the morning in the lead up to Christmas found Lieutenant Eve Dallas dragged from her warm bed into the frosty outside air to investigate New York’s latest murder. And a nasty one it was too – the cardboard sign with a handwritten Santa Says You've Been Bad!!! Ho, Ho, Ho! was attached to the victim’s chest with a particularly vicious looking kitchen knife.

As Eve began the investigation with Detective Delia Peabody by her side, they started to uncover some facts about the decea
Cathryn Chandler
Sep 21, 2014 Cathryn Chandler rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans Murder mystery
Shelves: jd-robb

This latest installment for JD Robb’s “In Death” series takes place in Eve’s adopted home—New York City. The fact the victim is universally disliked is supposed to be a major test of Eve’s personal ethic that everyone, no matter who, deserves justice and someone to stand for them. Although that idea is stated a number of times throughout the book—it doesn’t really come across all that strongly in the plot.
This book was OK. But having read them all—next to most of the others in the series, it o
Sally906
Oct 01, 2014 Sally906 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, christmas

Opening line: "... Men, Sima thought, can't live with them, can't beat them to death with a nine iron ..."

FESTIVE IN DEATH is the 39th book in the mystery/romantic suspense ‘Death’ series which I never seem to tire of. I have found each of the books to be well-written with believable characters and darker edgy heart in mouth type murder investigations with enough humour to prevent you sucking your thumb in the corner. FESTIVE IN DEATH is set in Christmas 2060 – Christmas is not a season Lieutena
Nina
Oh my. Christmas!!!

Another time of Eve where she becomes so worried about presents and another Christmas party she and Roarke are supposed to host. Tsk tsk. Eve's not big about gifts and parties, but still, I kinda like seeing her so flustered when Roarke rains her with myriad of gifts (like in the book 22, Memory in Death). I always like In Death books when Eve and Roarke are celebrating their anniversary or Christmas.

Still a long time to read this one #sighheavily
I'll still wait impatiently f
Laura (Kyahgirl)
1 Star; DNF

One of the most important things to me in a 'good book' is a main character or cast of characters that, even if I can't like them, I can understand and even empathize with them.

I've come to the point with this series that I abhor Eve's character. The plot/mystery was weak but beside that, Eve has evolved into a whiny, ungrateful snot. She marginalizes anyone who she can't use and she is intolerant and rude to her coworkers and anyone else who doesn't immediately fall over themselves
Carolyn
Dec 18, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Lieutenant Eve Dallas is not a big fan of Christmas - buying Christmas gifts, going to Christmas parties and socilaising all takes too much time and effort, but now married to mega wealthy businessman Roarke, she has no choice but to get into the mood and help him buy gifts for their friends, glam up and host a big party.

Meanwhile Eve and her partner, Delia Peabody are investigating the murder of a personal trainer, Trey Zieglar. Trey turns out to have a lot of cash making Eve suspect that some
T's Book ~ Tanja
Mar 30, 2014 T's Book ~ Tanja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-favorites
Eve and Roarke are just the bestest couple EVAH! Now I am ready for the holidays to start. Maybe I will do a full review, maybe I won't. Sometimes it just nice to have thouroughly enjoyed a book without the pressure of a review. But I highlighted so much awesomeness..... :) we'll see.
Mareli
Aug 31, 2014 Mareli rated it it was amazing

Okay, as usual J. D. Robb delivered fine.

Her 39th book of ID series is a great story, not so violent (that's good) and full of festive details (I loved them a lot).

The plot was good, simple and straight (I guessed the culprit almost from the very start) and the part about Christmas was wonderful. I love how Eve Dallas got a family, even if she didn't want it!

A note about Da
Diane
Sep 09, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
Another great In Death book - a very nice taste of Eve, Roarke, and all the usual suspects! Yes it takes place around Christmas - lots of cool gifts given between the main characters and between Eve and Roarke.

Some very good bantering throughout the book, a red herring or two thrown in for good measure. Of course the ritual "dirty Santa" - love that part. Most of the main characters make an appearance, if only a glimpse which is okay. We can really see the change in Eve in this book - how she co
Betty
Jul 04, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All J. D. Robb fans
Recommended to Betty by: Sent to me for review

FESTIVE IN DEATH
J. D. ROBB

Putnam
September 2014

Tis the Season to be jolly and Eve Dallas is shopping and solving crime, as usual. What is different is she is actually enjoying the shopping! Her latest murder victim is a macho, award winning personal trainer that uses and abuses his female clientele. Evidently one of them couldn’t take it anymore and left him propped up in his bed with a knife stuck in his heart and a sign pinned to his chest: “Santa Says Yo
Carol
Sep 04, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas is near when Eve receives an early morning wake-up call from the "dreaded" Trina with news of a dead body. For Lieutenant Eve Dallas and sidekick Detective Peabody, there's always a murder to solve, but during the holiday season, there's also the shopping "thing" and "hunky" zillionare ROARKE'S annual big bash to host to add to the mix.

Despite similar plots and procedures in the murder investigations, the IN-DEATH series has great addictive characters, the fun of a futuristic setting,

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Even after so many books, Ms. Robb continues this series which I don't ever want to end. In this one, the dead body is an asshat as Eve uncovers more and more about his narcissist life. It's appalling. The mystery is well written and I enjoyed this story from beginning to end. I read it easily in one sitting and feel as though I'm with friends again as I see Eve interact with everyone.

The romance between Eve and Roarke is still strong. Peabody is still her new-agey self. The usual bitching Eve
Mary
Nov 22, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
I love this series and this installment does not disappoint. It's Christmas in Eve's world and I love how she deals with buying gifts and having to wrap them (very funny). Some instalments of the series are more emotional, or grizzly, or both, but every now and then it's nice to take a break from a serial murder and have the real focus on Eve and Roarke when things are going well. They are my favorite fictional couple and they just get better and better.
Dee

Afraid series getting old
Liked, didn't love it
Kathy Davie
Oct 26, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Thirty-ninth in the In Death romantic suspense series and revolving around Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her gorgeous Irish husband, Roarke. The story is based in New York City in December 2060.

My Take
Jeez, this guy is such a jerk. I keep wanting Dallas to shut the case down and do anything else. I can't think of anyone who is more deserving of being murdered. How sad is that?

The more I read about this guy, the more I wish I could'a helped. I don't know how Robb does it, coming up with these major j
Miki
Jan 31, 2014 Miki rated it it was ok
I just finished re-reading the whole series (I know this isn't the last one - I started with number 40, and then went back to the beginning). I still like them, mostly, and will re-read them again, but can tell you that it will not anytime soon. By the time I was done with the series, I was also done with Eve. And Roarke. And Peabody and everyone else. Binge reading this way really made me aware of Eve's personality flaws, Roarke's enabling, and other things that bothered me.

The typos and errors
Monnie
Oct 03, 2014 Monnie rated it really liked it
It's always a pleasure to start a book when you know you're going to enjoy it. And in fact, I did. So why four stars and not five?

I've read and enjoyed quite a few of the books featuring emotionally and physically scarred Lt. Eve Dallas. Mostly because of her background, she's hard-nosed, driven and has a tough time understanding the "people" aspects of life. Except for her filthy rich, hunky Irish husband Roarke and her co-worker Peabody, she doesn't trust much of anyone. That, of course, is a
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)
May contain spoilers

This time the case Eve is working on isn't overly brilliant or complicated. It's though full of messed up details that when juxtaposed next to each other blur the whole picture. The villain is hard to disclose or should I say- too easy to find as every suspect had a motive and quite a few an opportunity to do the deed.
It doesn't help that the main suspect is of the asshole kind and plays well into it.

In any case the personal life of our characters takes the front seat and mak
Nandi
Sep 05, 2014 Nandi rated it really liked it
I cannot wait to get my hands on this book. mainly because it's during Christmas time, and we faithful ID fans know that our girl Eve hates this time of the year.
She hates it because it involves her three most dreaded things to do....shopping, gift giving, and wait for it.....gift receiving.....She never knows how to react to this simple act of kindness. LOL

This release date can't come fast enough for me.Four more days, four more days....four more.......

Although the murder part of the story was
Caro
Jan 11, 2014 Caro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-death
Another super ultramazing book! I loved the characters, their personalities, and their interactions in this book. Except maybe the vic. I laughed (plenty), got a little hot under the collar, was exasperated, aggravated, confused, happy, surprised, a little teary, did some butt-wiggling of my own, anxious, and every varied emotion in between. There were definitely some 'suspects' I liked and some I didn't. The gifts were great too! Loved the little snipits that included or relayed to some past ch ...more
Yvonne Anagnost
Sep 21, 2014 Yvonne Anagnost rated it liked it
Another Eve Dallas story set at Christmastime. It's getting a little old.

The book started slowly, and didn't really pick up speed, mired in maudlin admiration of Eve's new found "softer side." Nice that Eve is connecting to her feelings, but a whole book of it? The murder was almost tangential, the Christmas party more lovingly described than the solution of the murder.

And the solution? Contrived to the point of losing credibility.

I like this series and will likely read the next book, but I hop
Venus Blancia
Apr 12, 2015 Venus Blancia rated it it was amazing
Five Christmas Winter Balls for Roarke is Extra-Ultra Mag in this installment. Reading this for the longest time and it's been years too that I have not reunited with my old friends here since my hiatus, Festive in Death is a great go back to for Roarke has gathered them all in the Christmas Celebration, though I would want to converse more of his Irish clans. :)
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This has to be one of the best books in this series. I found myself laughing and totally wanting more. I hope Robb keeps these coming one after another!
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Festive In Death (Sept. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 62 28 Sep 12, 2015 12:57PM
J.D. Robb : Festive in Death (Spoiler Zone) 143 160 Jan 29, 2015 06:40PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.6)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 6
  • Do or Die (Reluctant Heroes, #1)
  • Heart Fire (Celta's Heartmates, #13)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • The Fragile Flag (Hall Family Chronicles #5)
  • Haunted (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #15)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • The Dom with the Kink Monsters (Badass Brats, #4)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • Just Jory (A Matter of Time #5.5)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Echoes in Death, on sale February 2017, is the 44th ent ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“A banner hung over the break-room door, facing out so any who came in would see the sentiment:

NO MATTER YOUR RACE, CREED, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR POLITICAL AFFILIATION, WE PROTECT AND SERVE, BECAUSE YOU COULD GET DEAD.”
26 likes
“Just shut your mouth, you ignorant twat."
"Aw, Dallas, he called me a twat. How come you get to be a bitch, but I only get to be a twat."
"It's the rank," Eve told her. "You'll make bitch one day."
"Thanks. That means a lot to me.”
23 likes