Start by marking “The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar” as Want to Read:

Most Americans are familiar with the political history of the United States, but there is another history woven all through it, a largely forgotten history—the story of the money men. Acclaimed historian H. W. Brands brings them back to life: J. P. Morgan, who stabilized a foundering U.S. Treasury in 1907; Alexander Hamilton, who founded the first national bank, and Nichol ...more
Published October 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Money Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Money Men

Louise
Nov 20, 2016 Louise rated it liked it

H. W. Brands defines the roles played by the “Money Men” Alexander Hamilton, Nicholas Biddle, Jay Cooke, Jay Gould and J. P. Morgan in shaping the US financial system. The first half covering the roles of Hamilton, Biddle and Cooke was very good. The second half on Gould and Morgan was a not up the standard of the first, perhaps because the emphasis was on their abuse of the unfettered system more that the resulting changes.

Brands writes of the young nation's leaders holding different perspectiv
Arminius
Jan 05, 2015 Arminius rated it it was amazing
The great financiers who emerged as the Capitalist juggernauts of our history are discussed. It starts with the smartest man ever to grace the continental United States Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton intuitively knew that a Capitalist economy would lead to great prosperity. He learned this as he saw a farming community in Barbados languish in poverty and read Adam Smith’s influential book “The Wealth of Nations.”

When the Great George Washington was unanimously voted into America as its first Pres
Literary Chic
Oct 26, 2016 Literary Chic rated it really liked it
I found Mr. Brands' book on the Money Men well written and succinct. At barely 200 pages, it wasn't a thorough history of the American finance system, but it was a good synopsis of the roots of American capitalism. He spent more time fleshing out the Hamilton/Jefferson capitalism vs. democracy argument than any other. After reading this book, I would like to hear more about the magnates of capitalism (Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Rockefeller) as Mr. Brands barely mentioned them. If you're not looking f ...more
keatssycamore
Mar 02, 2008 keatssycamore rated it liked it
Recommends it for: banksters
Shelves: audiobooks
Here's what I learned from the book:

The banksters and speculators having been screwing up (and over) the United States for the entirety of it's existence.
Mark
May 10, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More on my efforts to learn a little about economics. This is hard work for me, because it relies on human behavior more than the laws of nature like physics or engineering. I'm still grappling with some of the concepts, and the separation of capitalism from democracy. The two are often linked, but they are not the same thing.

At any rate, I'd heard some of this before in an audiobook or two from last year about the Great Depression. Still, repetition helps me internalize it.

Better for me was the
Derek
Dec 16, 2016 Derek rated it liked it
As a big fan of Brands, I was a bit disappointed. Perhaps it is because of the length of the work, a fraction of the length of most of his books I've read, and because it covered several individuals in that time rather than one biography. It may, frankly, been because I was less sympathetic to the individuals covered. Whatever the reason, I didn't feel it really got to the core of the people involved, nor did it weave a unified narrative. Yes, these were all people important in US financial hist ...more
William
Dec 16, 2010 William rated it really liked it
The Founding Fathers of the United States had referred to our government based on a democratic republic as a "grand experiment". One of the main catalysts for the success of this experiment has to be the economic system of Capitalism. The early establishment of the National Bank System, the Department of the Treasury, the adoption of a national paper currency, the evolution of the silver and gold standard, and early market crashes and reforms, and the figures behind these developments is the sub ...more
Paige
May 15, 2010 Paige rated it liked it
Um, I don't know. I think this book could have been a lot better. I know they're "essays" or whatever, but I just felt like they weren't very fleshed out. He doesn't always explain things completely, like he made it sound like there was no president at all between Andrew Jackson and William Henry Harrison. It kind of threw me off and I had to go reread it to make sure that I just didn't miss it. He could've dedicated, like, half a sentence to the election & presidency of Martin Van Buren , e ...more
Jeff M.
Sep 01, 2008 Jeff M. rated it really liked it
This was a really fascinating book. It discussed in detail the history of monetary policy in the United States up to the founding of the Federal Reserve. It was interesting to read a book that looks primarily at what is only mentioned in passing in most history books: the struggle over control of American money. Alexander Hamilton, Nicholas Biddle, Jay Cooke, Jay Gould, and JP Morgan all feature prominently in this book. It's a great read for any student of US history because so many issues thro ...more
Dan Hatcher
Feb 07, 2016 Dan Hatcher rated it liked it
This book covers a lot of ground in 206 pages, from Andrew Hamilton v. Thomas Jefferson on big vs. small government ; Jackson vs. Biddle on the constitutionality of the national bank ; to Jay Cooke financing the Union war efforts with bonds; to the Panic of 1873 ; to the gilded age trusts up to the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.

This book was a good primer, but too brief. I look forward to one day reading about these topics individually.

H.W Brands frequently puts democracy against capitalism, each
Oleksandr Zholud
May 01, 2016 Oleksandr Zholud rated it liked it
The book concentrates on the struggle, as the author puts it, between capitalism and democracy in the USA, chiefly during the XIXth century. It is akin to banking vs currency schools in the same period England, but the author, being a historian doesn’t try to aggreagate as see it as a part of economic history, more like a pieces of biographies of people, who created this history – Hamilton, Jackson, Biddle, Jefferson, JP Morgan, Gould, Cook… in short a series of interesting anecdotes linked by a ...more
Bruce
Mar 15, 2011 Bruce rated it really liked it
Shelves: us-history
Though copyright in 2006 this book encourages thought on the current financial world. Starting with Hamilton, then treating Bibble, Gould, Cooke and Morgan in turn, H.W. Brands provides insight into the financial world. Each of these men fought for a strong central monetary control authority. In his epilogue the author posits that the current (2006) controllers of money were in the main anonymous (with the exception of Alan Greenspan). Perhaps when the real history of the 2008 financial crises i ...more
Leif Erik
Feb 27, 2014 Leif Erik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americanhistory, econ
If you're anything like me (God help you) then you have often pined for a concise (sub 200 pg) account of American monetary policy pre-establishment of the Federal Reserve, ideally with the focus the inherit conflict between hard money and inflationary interests. This is book for you! Brand does an excellent job of explaining the interests and motivations of each side and how that played out over the 19th century.
Jack
Jul 10, 2012 Jack rated it it was ok
Shelves: u-s-history
A quick and easy read, although most of the essential information presented can be obtained even more quickly and easily by scanning a couple dozen pages in a college U.S. history textbook.

I've read several of Brands's books, and they all seem to fit the same pattern: Accessible prose and smooth storytelling, but very little original thought or intellectual stimulation.
Lew
Aug 06, 2016 Lew rated it liked it
Interesting, but nothing special. It reads like a college lecture that is an overview of the history of money in America, with emphasis on the prime money man of the time being . A good introduction to the individuals that were the movers and shakers of the time. Sparks interest in reading more in depth about each money man.
Dave
Nov 21, 2012 Dave rated it it was ok
Although the cover of this book looks cool, the material inside was not as entertaining. Brands is an excellent historical writer (see my review of his Jackson biography), but for the subject matter of this book considering the recent economic problems we have been experiencing, you will probably hate these major bankers more and not get a complete grasp of the history for the book is short.
Nicole Marble
May 14, 2013 Nicole Marble rated it really liked it
Interesting view of US history via money and how it has been used and peoples' attitude to it.
Gracefully written, Brands points out the natural antagonism between capitalism and democracy.
Something to think about!
Ryan
Jul 11, 2011 Ryan is currently reading it
Got excited to learn a little more about the Federal Reserve bank... so far learned that Alexander Hamilton was pushing for a central U.S. bank long before the Federal Reserve Act was passed to create the "Fed" as we know it. Interesting read so far...
Glenn Robinson
Apr 22, 2012 Glenn Robinson rated it liked it
A quick basic overview of the financial leaders that have shaped the US financial system, both in good ways and poor ways. Not one part of the history is view in depth, so do not view this as providing answers, just raising many more questions.
Steve
Sep 23, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written and informative overview of the capitalism vs democracy conflict over monetary policy in the US from Alexander Hamilton's debt scheme to the founding of the Federal Reserve System.
Hthayer
May 20, 2008 Hthayer rated it liked it
Readable book about the formation of monetary policy in the United States. Surprisingly interesting and understandable.
David Szatkowski
Jan 03, 2014 David Szatkowski rated it liked it
This is a good, short book that gives a basic history of major players in the world of finance, treasury, and currency history. The book spans the late 1790s to just before WWI. Worth a read.
Robert Sparrenberger
Quick overview of major financial issues in America since it founding by hw brands. This book does not contain his normal flair and just presents the facts. Quick read
Greg Krupa
Aug 21, 2011 Greg Krupa rated it really liked it
Great short history of the 4 key individuals who shaped the American capitalist, banking, economic and monetary system. Recommend it to all who have an interest in economic history of the US.
Lewis
Dec 27, 2010 Lewis rated it it was ok
Oh boy, I thought I would like this better than his more recent book I just read. I was sorely disappointed to find the majority of this book appears in that book.
Kim
Sep 30, 2010 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting but occasionally dry, and not really a subject that I cared enough about to delve so deeply into, but it wasn't my pick.
Craig
Profiles of five important figures in American monetary history. Book has sort of a jumbleed feel to it with some interesting stories but overall, not one of Brands' best efforts.
LeeFrances
Jul 18, 2011 LeeFrances rated it it was ok
Shelves: revolution
This was a good overview of American economic history but knowing next to nothing about that, I wish the author had gone into a little more detail in his explanations of some theory and concepts.
Jacob Middleton
Jacob Middleton rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2010
Preston
Preston rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Panic of 1907: Lessons Learned from the Market's Perfect Storm
  • Mellon: An American Life
  • So Help Me God: The Founding Fathers and the First Great Battle Over Church and State
  • World Civilizations: The Global Experience
  • The American Way of War: Guided Missiles, Misguided Men, and a Republic in Peril
  • Gentleman Revolutionary: Gouverneur Morris, the Rake Who Wrote the Constitution
  • A Nation of Counterfeiters: Capitalists, Con Men, and the Making of the United States
  • Age of Betrayal: The Triumph of Money in America, 1865-1900
  • The Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America's Newfound Sovereignty
  • The Plot to Seize the White House: The Shocking True Story of the Conspiracy to Overthrow FDR
  • House of War: The Pentagon and the Disastrous Rise of American Power
  • Land of Desire: Merchants, Power, and the Rise of a New American Culture
  • Union 1812: The Americans Who Fought the Second War of Independence
  • The Death of the Banker: The Decline and Fall of the Great Financial Dynasties and the Triumph of the Small Investor
  • The Company: A Short History of a Revolutionary Idea
  • Predator Nation: Corporate Criminals, Political Corruption, and the Hijacking of America
  • Andrew Carnegie and the Rise of Big Business
  • The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession
Henry William Brands was born in Portland, Oregon, where he lived until he went to California for college. He attended Stanford University and studied history and mathematics. After graduating he became a traveling salesman, with a territory that spanned the West from the Pacific to Colorado. His wanderlust diminished after several trips across the Great Basin, and he turned to sales of a differen ...more
More about H.W. Brands...