Start by marking “What the Fork Are You Eating?: An Action Plan for Your Pantry and Plate” as Want to Read:
What the Fork Are You Eating?: An Action Plan for Your Pantry and Plate

What the Fork Are You Eating?: An Action Plan for Your Pantry and Plate

It's labeled "natural," "grass-fed," or "free-roaming;" yet it might be anything but. It's time to find out what you're actually eating...

When yourgroceries are labeled “low-fat,” “sugar-free,” and even “natural” and "antibiotic-free," it’s easy to assume that you’re making healthy choices. Yet even some of those seemingly wholesome offerings contain chemical preservatives
Published December 26th 2014 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about What the Fork Are You Eating?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Fork Are You Eating?

Jennifer Nicole
Oct 01, 2015 Jennifer Nicole rated it it was amazing
As a professional with a Masters in Public Health and a Bachelors in Health Fitness, I have read thousands of pages on nutrition and diets over the years. Most recently, in my spare time, I have read Marion Nestle, Michael Pollan and several other books from about half a dozen authors all on food science, agribusiness, etc...

Of all of them, this book, "What the Fork" stands out the most as the best go-to guides for someone that wants to not only eat clean, but also understands that maybe that's
Jessica
Feb 28, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
This book is a REALLY great overview of the processed food industry and how to make better choices with food. The author is a nutritionist, a certified chef with a master of science in nutrition from Columbia University, so she definitely knows what she's talking about. The book is divided into 4 sections - Top Rated Terminators (the really bad crap that's in almost all processed food), Pantry Rehab (how to overhaul your pantry in order to make better food choices), Supermarket Strategies (how ...more
Ben
Aug 17, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
The library was showcasing this particular book and I suppose I was intrigued by the current health food craze/revolution going on in the world. I did learn a lot. Then I forgot mostly all of it. There is so much information that you would need flash cards to remember which bad stuff is in which foods. In that sense, it was really more of a textbook. I also wish there had been more scientific explanations or diagrams, e.g. why trans fats are bad (rather than the wordy general explanations which ...more
Judi
Feb 22, 2015 Judi rated it really liked it
An excellent guide to the additives in foods - describing what they are and where they come. Lists "Better for you alternatives" Here's one sentence that will make you gasp -
"...natural vanilla flavor is derived from the vanilla bean itself, while artificial vanilla flavor comes from synthetic chemicals whose origin is unrelated to food (as in wood or even cow poop..." Do you want to know that Saccharin is a coal tar derivative, or Splenda is "...made by reacting sucrose (table sugar) with chlor
Amy
Jan 03, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Most of the information in the book is stuff that has been written about before, so I didn't learn a lot, but I like her approach. She's realistic, and she's not trying to sell you on anything 'fad'. Most of this information is common sense. My favorite aspect of the book was the portion where she goes into depth about food product labeling - I did learn quite a bit from that, and now know what to look for.
Roland Brawner
Mar 31, 2015 Roland Brawner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great informative book

I would rather spend my money on quality, organically grown vegetables and fruits, whole grains and humanely raised and properly fed food than a doctor and a pharmacy. This amazing book is a complete blueprint to accomplish this mission. I will be buying copies for all my family and friends. Loved it, easy to read and understand.
Robin
This only gets categorized as an unfinished title because I knew that I had too much other and similar reading right now. I really liked what the author has to say and I would like to take a look at it again sometime soon!
Grace P.
Jan 11, 2015 Grace P. rated it it was amazing
A good resource for healthier eating, what brands to buy, and what is going on in the food industry that isn't keeping us healthy (but does keep the companies profitable).

Here's one tip: if you see recycling code 7 on the bottom of plastic containers, avoid it. It most likely contains BPA.
Feb 17, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A lot of this I knew already, and I don't really like the author's easy-breezy writing style. (Personal preference.) But there's good information here about food additives, how to read the labels on processed foods, and healthy alternatives.
lisa
Apr 09, 2015 lisa rated it liked it
Most of this information was stuff I picked up on my own years ago, but it is great to have all of it one place. This would be an excellent reference book for anyone who is interested in learning about the food they eat.
Alex Devero
May 03, 2016 Alex Devero rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
It’s not difficult or expensive to nourish yourself in a healthy manner. But you need to know what’s in the food you’re eating to understand what you have to change and how to change it. With this knowledge, you can outline a plan to improve your eating habits with minor yet important adjustments.
Diana
Mar 04, 2015 Diana rated it liked it
As a mostly healthy eater this was a little too basic and repetitive for me. It's probably good for someone who eats a lot of processed food and needs guidelines on how to eat healthier.
Brenna Tkalcich
Brenna Tkalcich rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Brigid
Brigid rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Hillary Schalit
Hillary Schalit rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Teralynn
Teralynn rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
SHIRA BARZILAY
SHIRA BARZILAY rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Harald Johansson
Harald Johansson rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Ashleigh Gurtler
Ashleigh Gurtler rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Pamela Ellis
Pamela Ellis rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016
Rachel Hemminger
Rachel Hemminger rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Carole
Carole rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Kaitlyn Federwitz
Kaitlyn Federwitz rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Partha
Partha rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Leila
Leila rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Suziknits
Suziknits rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Melly
Melly rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Deanne
Deanne rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The World on a Plate: 40 Cuisines, 100 Recipes, and the Stories Behind Them
  • The American Plate: A Culinary History in 100 Bites
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 40 Slow Cookers, 200 Fresh Recipes
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
  • Dinner with Mr. Darcy: Recipes inspired by the novels of Jane Austen
  • Making Supper Safe: Why We've Lost Trust in Our Food and How We Can Get it Back
  • The Fresh 20 Cookbook: 20 ingredients = 5 healthy and delicious weeknight dinners
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Shake: A New Perspective On Cocktails
  • Eat This Not That! The Best (& Worst!) Foods in America!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution
  • Pork and Sons
  • The Greening of America
  • Bitter: A Taste of the World's Most Dangerous Flavor, with Recipes
  • Everyday Detox: 100 Easy Recipes to Remove Toxins, Promote Gut Health, and Lose Weight Naturally
  • The Founding Foodies: How Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin Revolutionized American Cuisine
  • People's Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop
  • Drink This: Wine Made Simple