Start by marking “Outlaws of the Lakes: Bootlegging & Smuggling from Colonial Times to Prohibition” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  12 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Since early colonial times, the Great Lakes, the Upper St. LAwrence and Lake Champlain have been smugglers' highways. They have borne silent witness to trafficking of almost every commodity governments could tax or ban. Smugglers kept commerce alive in Canada in the early nineteenth century, contributed to the British-Canadian victory in the War of 1812, and carried escape ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Thunder Bay Press (MI)

To ask other readers questions about Outlaws of the Lakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaws of the Lakes

Rose
Jan 28, 2008 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rick Mattix
The Great Lakes have served as a smuggler's freeway since Canada's infancy. In "Outlaws of the Lakes: Bootlegging and Smuggling", Canadian author Ed Butts tackles the subject of the illegal trade in booze and just about everything else banned or excessively taxed by the government. He also highlights its more infamous practitioners, such as Rocco Perri, Canada's Al Capone.

Butts has dicovered or deduced some eye-opening facts. He demonstrates that a French bootlegger was responsible for the foun
Chriss
Apr 14, 2008 Chriss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chriss by: Ed Butts
Fascinating look beyond the walls of the speakeasy's and into the far reaches of Canada and the vast Great Lakes region to see where the enemies of Prohibition really were. Ed takes the reader on a historical tour back to the War of 1812 and into the popular bootlegging era's notable to most. I was intrigued by many of the stories, especially "Lake Michigan's Pirate" and thought that he covered a wide range of topics that kept me interested throughout the book. Well written with proper illustrat ...more
Anna
Oct 23, 2007 Anna rated it liked it
This book was surprisingly good (especially the first three parts). It is not the kind of thing I normally read, but my dad bought it for me while the family was up north on vacation. It was well written and entertaining without being overly sensational (which is what I feared when I first flipped through the book to look at the pictures). I really enjoyed reading about Jennie Justo, who lived in the Greenbush neighborhood of Madison.
Angela Hughes
Jan 19, 2010 Angela Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome! I know they're villains, but I can't help but admire some of them for their gumption and the stuff they pulled makes for a great read. Regional history at its best.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Paule Bailey
Paule Bailey marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
K
K marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Ingrid Aguilar
Ingrid Aguilar rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2014
Leanne Poole
Leanne Poole marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jul 09, 2014
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Tim Shaw
Tim Shaw marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Mac
Mac marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Jason Hollenberger
Jason Hollenberger marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Dale
Dale rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2010
Tiffany T
Tiffany T rated it really liked it
May 08, 2008