Start by marking “Butch Casssidy and Other Mormon Outlaws of the Old West” as Want to Read:
Butch Casssidy and Other Mormon Outlaws of the Old West

Butch Casssidy and Other Mormon Outlaws of the Old West

Few things capture our imaginations like true stories from the Old West. Throw religion into the mix, and you have the stuff of enduring legends. Mormons are known for honesty, integrity, morality, love of country, love of God, and love of fellowman-hardly the qualities one normally associates with outlaws. So it comes as a sort of shock to some that among the ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Covenant Communications Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about Butch Casssidy and Other Mormon Outlaws of the Old West

Melissa Brown
Kind of interesting stories and facts about some Mormon outlaws. Not necessarily the best piece of literature out there with a lot of repetition of phrases like "more on that later" and some stories got told once and then told again later with only slightly more details, but still I learned some things and overall it was pretty good.
Kathy Stone
While it is interesting to read about these outlaws of the late nineteenth century it is annoying to read phrases like "more about that later". Was this book written to be oral history? That is the feeling I got reading the book. I love to read history, but this particular book did not have a scholarly feel to it. Some of the phrasing was too insulting. I need more depth in the books I read about the past and a strong narrative if it is not meant to be scholarly.
Shauna
Aug 01, 2013 Shauna rated it it was amazing
What an amazingly fascinating book!

So who are these Mormon Outlaws?

Orrin Porter Rockwell was sometimes the law, and sometimes an outlaw.

Robert LeRoy Parker joined the cattle rustlers and became the well-know Butch Cassidy; and twenty of the sixty in his gang of bandits were Mormons.

Willard Erastus Christianson, while walking home from a Church dance whacked a rival on the head with a rock and feared he had killed the guy so he ran away from home and became the outlaw, Matt Warner or "The Mormon
Roy
Mar 09, 2014 Roy rated it really liked it
A very interesting read! The author definitely put in the time to research. The cultural and geographical backgrounds were the most interesting to me. Although I liked each of her choices for outlaws (especially "the Mormon Kid" since he spent some time in a town where some of my relatives come from), I can't help but think that she could have combined most of them into one chapter since their lives intermingled so much and then could have included more of the outlaws which she said she found so ...more
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Interesting! While the book dragged a bit the author definitely has captured the imagination of the Old West outlaws! :)
Jeanne Linn
Jan 02, 2015 Jeanne Linn rated it liked it
Interesting information on Butch Cassidy and other Mormon outlaws. Never knew about Joseph Smith's best friend and bodyguard. Thought I might find a great grandfather but didn't recognize anyone.
Anita Williamson
Sep 12, 2014 Anita Williamson rated it liked it
I ended up enjoying this book more than I thought I would. I wouldn't exactly call it uplifting (except for maybe the part on Orin Porter Rockwell) but it was interesting and informative.
Annaleise Dearinger
Jun 23, 2013 Annaleise Dearinger rated it it was amazing
Picked it up looking for a fun-filled wild-west kinda book, and it delivered that and so much more. Very thought-provoking and educational. Very well written.
Lindsey Sanders
Feb 26, 2014 Lindsey Sanders rated it liked it
I had a really hard time getting in to this book. parts of it were interesting but I think it could have been much shorter by leaving out uneeded details.
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
Troy
Troy rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Violet O
Violet O rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
G'Lenn
G'Lenn rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Mike Nebeker
Mike Nebeker rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2016
Tari
Tari rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Amber Lund
Amber Lund rated it it was ok
May 14, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Prescott35
Prescott35 rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Audra
Audra rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 19, 2015
Clancey Sollis
Clancey Sollis rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2015
Annaka Heaton
Annaka Heaton rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Jdg
Jdg rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Nancy Browne
Nancy Browne rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2014