Start by marking “Infinite Life” as Want to Read:
Infinite Life

Infinite Life

One of Time magazine's 25 Most Influential People in America writes about taking responsibility for our own happiness and our actions

Robert Thurman is America's most popular and charismatic Buddhist. His first book, Inner Revolution, is an international bestseller and his lectures sell out to thousands.

Infinite Life demonstrates that our every action has infinite consequen
Published February 1st 2005 by Riverhead Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite Life

Craig Williams
Aug 24, 2010 Craig Williams rated it liked it
I had first heard of Robert Thurman after watching a documentary called "One", in which the filmmakers tried to answer the timeless question: "What's the meaning of life?" They interview several notable spiritual gurus, Thurman included. What perked my interest was not only his answer, but that he is the father of Uma Thurman. That certainly explains her name.

Anyway, the man certainly earned his Phd in Buddhist Studies. He definitely knows what he's talking about. Even though I already knew most
Erik Akre
Dec 23, 2015 Erik Akre rated it liked it
Recommends it for: seekers of inspiration for generosity and giving
Shelves: buddhism
This book is remarkable, I think, because it teaches engagement in the world. Leading the "infinite lifestyle" involves, first and foremost, care for others. Thurman spends a good deal of text inviting and praising a lifestyle of giving generously, and becoming involved in the issues of the day.

One should live life as if it will carry on infinitely, and indeed it will in accordance with the Buddhist concept of the ever-returning boddhisattva. One follows the ethic of generosity--giving material
Kathryn Jennex
I really enjoyed this. I didn’t read it cover to cover, I chose to look at topics that interested me the most. Robert Thurman writes in a way that makes Buddhist practices understandable and attainable. I particularly likes when he talks about meditating and says being mindful and interested in meditating does not have to be overwhelming. He gives an example of being in traffic and using that time to meditate. I recommend it, even if you’re just a little bit Bud-curious :) .
Bernadine Rosso
Oct 03, 2008 Bernadine Rosso rated it liked it
Deep insights and intense realities brought to the surface. This book has the potential to carry one into life changing transformation, if chosen.
R.J.
Mar 21, 2010 R.J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommend
companion book to a class I took with Thurman at The Tibet House.
Lectures were taken directly from text.
Very helpful book for exploring this line of teacher/philosphy.
Jill
Jul 30, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddha, favorites
I really enjoyed Thurman's argument for the validity of the possibility of reincarnation in this book.
Jerry Worthylake
Nov 18, 2012 Jerry Worthylake rated it it was amazing
Have read this book 5 times over. I love it's boiling down of the dharma. Clear and consise
Trevor Jones
Jun 09, 2008 Trevor Jones rated it really liked it
Don't let this book's cover deceive you: although it is rather middle-minded, straight forward recommendations on how to live life day-to-day, it is no mushy self-help book either. I respect Thurman enough for his scholarly studies and dedication to Tibetan Buddhism over the past several decades, but it is his attitude and positive approach to speaking to the reader that won me over.

Although I consider myself an atheist, I have serious Buddhist sympathies that are only so far away from reconcil
Marina Quattrocchi
May 18, 2014 Marina Quattrocchi rated it really liked it
I saw Robert Thurman for the first time when he spoke at the University of Toronto, winter 2014. I was intrigued learning of the lifetime relationship he had with the Dalai Lama, so decided to go to his talk. It was a brutally cold winter evening, I went by myself and the building was hard to find, but afterwards I was so glad I went. He had everyone completely captivated for over 2 hours, and the time seemed much shorter because his talk was so humorous and engaging. We laughed the entire time, ...more
Connie Kronlokken
Robert Thurman makes the case for spiritual evolution here, showing its consequences for one's life and how, because of it, everything matters. I appreciate his ability to describe these concepts, developed over thousands of years of Buddhism in India and Tibet, in precise English. Having heard him speak a couple of times, I hear him very well in his writing!
Dora
Dora rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2008
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Daisy
Daisy rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Ann M
Ann M rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2007
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Marc Medley
Marc Medley rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Adrienne Albers
Adrienne Albers rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Kit Bateman
Kit Bateman rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Jenny
Sep 04, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who feel like a finger at the base of their spine is propelling them forward always
Shelves: buddhism
better.
Karalyn
Karalyn rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2008
The Artful Blog
The Artful Blog rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
David Hoskins
David Hoskins rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Brandon Bell
Brandon Bell rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Matt B. Perkins
Matt B. Perkins rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
J
J rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • The Book of Understanding: Creating Your Own Path to Freedom
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • The Best Buddhist Writing 2013
  • Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a Personal Spiritual Life
  • Many Ways to Nirvana: Reflections and Advice on Right Living
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth
  • The Shambhala Principle: Discovering Humanity's Hidden Treasure
  • Hunger Mountain: A Field Guide to Mind and Landscape
  • Blue Jean Buddha: Voices of Young Buddhists
  • Edgar Cayce: An American Prophet
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
206914
Tenzin Robert Thurman is the Jey Tsong Khapa Professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Columbia University, holding the first endowed chair of Buddhist Studies in the United States. He is the author of the bestseller Inner Revolution, as well as Anger, Infinite Life, and other popular books. He is also a translator of Tibetan texts. He serves as co-founder and president of Tibet House US, a no ...more
More about Robert A.F. Thurman...